Ukulele setup

Tantal

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am looking to learn how to do the setup on a uke. I have been searching these forums but with no luck.

The ideal would be tutorials or step by step instructions on how to do the diagnostic, the setup, standards on action height, etc.

Do any of you know sites or links online I can check out?

Looking forward to your replies.

Cheers!

I would try a YouTube search. There are videos for just about everything on there.

Best thing I can recommend, as it is how I learned, is to watch someone who does it do it. You will be surprised how easy it is when you have seen it once, but that leap of faith with the files the first time can be nerve wracking

One caution about that first video. I usually find that all the strings don't need the same adjustment (if any at the nut). Measure them all before you start pounding away. There is no way I would pound off the nut and sand it down for just one string. Instead get yourself a nut file (I use either a fingernail file, torch tip clearner, or hacksaw blade) and take down the slot(s) that need it. A dedicated luthier file is better, but I don't have one.

I would just like to add that it is important to maintain the same angle when lowering the string slots in the nut. angle it wrong and you'll have a more horrible buzz. I learned this on a guitar when I attempted to cut my own nut from bone. Whoa... sounded like an angry hornet. lol

I'm not fond of cutting the nut grooves...I'd rather remove the nut and file from the other side. (500 grit sand paper taped to a pane of glass works wonders for keeping the work flat.)

Top Bottom