Banjo Uke strings?

kissing

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Banjo uke next... and I noticed there are string sets around that specifically say "Banjo Uke".

What is different about them? Would I not get the full Banjo experience if I just used regular uke strings on a Banjo uke?

I use standard uke strings on mine with great results.

"Banjo uke strings" are just concert sized strings with a wound C. They even make them without the wound C string, which would just make it a concert set.

I guess in finding some good strings on that one, perhaps on the point of having a banjo uke strings can be somewhat complicated. But I just hope that it would be good.

Last edited:
Don't bother with them. I've tried them on 7 banjo ukes over time and they simply don't sound as good as plain, unwound sets.

Also - several manufacturers of new banjo ukes tend to ship with Aquilas outfitted, but these shouldn't necessarily be a default; some banjo ukes sound better with nylons stings like Galli blacks, or La Bella Senoritas (I really like these on one of my Stromberg-Voisinets). Try different things when you're starting out and see what you like best.

Thanks! It's just that I'm getting a Banjo uke soon, but I had a bunch of regular Aquilas. I wanted to use those strings, but wanted to know whether im missing out on anything :)

Don't bother with them. I've tried them on 7 banjo ukes over time and they simply don't sound as good as plain, unwound sets.

Also - several manufacturers of new banjo ukes tend to ship with Aquilas outfitted, but these shouldn't necessarily be a default; some banjo ukes sound better with nylons stings like Galli blacks, or La Bella Senoritas (I really like these on one of my Stromberg-Voisinets). Try different things when you're starting out and see what you like best.
I don't like wound strings on banjo ukes. There is a noticeable scraping sound on them that comes across as raw and rough through a BU head.

Thanks! It's just that I'm getting a Banjo uke soon, but I had a bunch of regular Aquilas. I wanted to use those strings, but wanted to know whether im missing out on anything :)

Regular Aquilas are great, and you're not missing out on anything.

I agree, Ian; there's a definite scraping sound. That sounds really well on a steel string guitar, but not so well on a banjo uke.

Top Bottom