1st open mic!

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Last night was a first for me. An actual open mic at a coffee shop. About 2 weeks ago I was at this coffee shop by the beach and saw a sign for the open mic. I asked if it was okay to bring my uke and she said sure. Well I put it on my calendar and when the day arrived I thought I'd give it a try. Now I have played and sang in a lot of bluegrass jams but have never done this open mic thing. What an experience. It is just you and the microphone, no one to toss "break" off to. Very different for me. ANyway, it turned out to be something put on by a high school teacher for a group called SADD. She said that stood for "students against destructive decisions". Kind of neat. THere were mostly high school kids there and since I drove 20 miles I figured I'd play anyway ( I am 52). The weather was rainy so I had grabbed my sunburst dolphin. (I was at a BG jam first :) ) I was a bit nervous because everything they played was something I had never heard and some of them were quite good. Anyway when my turn came around I played "stand by me". Those kids loved it! I was shocked. What was fun was that some of their parents were there too and they really enjoyed it. I had 3 kids asking where i got the uke after I told them I only paid $34 for it! HA! Sent them to the NC Ukulele academy! Hope they go. I also got to play a couple more songs later and went with "What a day for a daydream" and "Summertime" to close the mic nite out! That last song was very cool because I had friend meet me up there who is an incredible banjo player and he asked to play with me along with a kid who asked on the guitar. What a great evening of fun all for the price of a cup of coffee (which was optional! :) ) Thanks for listening!

Sounds like a great time. Congrats.

awesome rem50. Very pleased for you. What a great confidence builder! Well done!

Aloha Rem,
Thanks for sharing, sounds like you had a wonderful first open mike....and North Carolina Ukulele Academy has some really nice prices too...MM Stan

Thank you all for the encouragement. THe singing and playing was not the hard part it was just doing it alone. Now that was different. I guess that old saying is true...there is strength in numbers! Ha!

Very cool! Good choice of song too.

JJ

Thanks for sharing this. The uke sure leads to some wonderful experiences. I hope that I can build my skill up enough to attempt an open-mic night at some point.

Way to go! which bluegrass instringment do you play?

Top Bottom