Wear and Tear On a Flea

Reaction score
I have a Green Flea from The Magic Fluke Company. I have had it since February of this year, and the color is coming off already from all of the playing I do. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. It does not really bother me, I just find it odd due to the short period of time that I have had the instrument. As soon as my camera is operational, I will post a pic.

Aloha NM,
Nothing wrong with that, it's a badge of honor of you playing and practicing....I'd be proud of that man....Happy Strummings, MM Stan:music:

Yeah, a lot of guitar players would pay extra for that and call it "relicted", LOL.

Rock on Bro!

Peace,

James

Yeah, a lot of guitar players would pay extra for that and call it "relicted", LOL.

Rock on Bro!

Peace,

James

I never could understand the "fake mojo" concept. "Road Worn" from the shop. No thanks.

It's a flea..

never mind..

Last edited:
There is always the difference in style of playing and handling the instrument. My friend and I bought a Flea and a Fluke on the same day. My friend travels extensively and plays with vigor, I on the other hand, play more carefully (not in fear of hurting the instrument, just a question of temperament, I guess) and mostly at home. My Fluke is near mint condition, my friend's Flea has paint coming off, scratches and wear all over. Funny thing is, the worn one looks much more cool :)

I wouldn't blame the build quality or manufacturer in this case. Fleas and Flukes have a good reputation for being able to withstand significant wear, tear and zombie head-bashing. If there wasn't an obvious fault with the finish etc, I think it would be classified just normal playing induced worn. As stated above, think of it as battle scars :)

I got my fluke from a friend who was very careful, but the paint on the abstract was worn from strumming.
I colored it in with a magic marker and it looks fine from a distance.
I too don't think it is a quality issue as the Fleas & Flukes are well built and a good instrument for the price.
If you get your colored in, you might consider a clear pick guard. You can use a clear plastic sheet and cut it to fit.

I have a surf flea, and the image/pattern/ink on the edge where I hold it with my arm has begun to smudge/rub off a bit.
I see it as character and proves that I PLAY it! :D
Cheers,
Skottoman

My pineapple Flea has a big worn spot where I rest my hand too, and the soft wood top gets dinged pretty easily. But it's really hard to do serious structural damage to a Flea unless you're actively trying to destroy it. It wears its battle scars with pride! My Kamaka would be a pile of expensive splinters if I put it through the abuse that my Flea goes through.

I wore several shiny spots on my Lava Flea's matte finish within a few months of owning it. I also wore grooves in the plastic fretboard in less than 6 months. Fortunately, they will replace the fretboard free within 3 years, so I will probably send it back one day.

Thanks for all of the responses. I think you guys are correct. The wear and tear is a badge of honor. I just got a little concerned due to the age of the instrument. I did not want to have a ukulele that looked like Willie Nelson's guitar, Trigger, in a matter of a few months. It took Willie years to do that kind of "damage" to that old guitar. I want my Flea to be around long enough to take that journey.
I play guitar in a band also, and my old guitars that I used to use in the band are all ridiculously beat up. I got a new one this past summer and it is on its way to being naturally "relic(k)ed" (i don't know how to spell that).
All the same, I love my Flea ukulele. It is my favorite out of my ukuleles. I have a Soprano Flea, a Soprano Makala Dolphin, a Concert Luna Tattoo, and a Tenor Fluke.
Thanks.

Top Bottom