Martin Fluorocarbon strings

Pippin

Reaction score
Ken Middleton recommended that I put some Martin fluorocarbon strings on a couple of my ukuleles and I was ordering a new saddle for an old guitar from Elderly, so, I added three packs to the order.

I put the new strings on the Ohana SK-38, the aNueNue Vision 1879, and the Oscar Schmidt OU280SWK (solid Koa concert).

On the Ohana, the uke really sounded fantastic! The tone was clear and sweet. The aNueNue Vision 1879 is a Nunes vintage copy and sounded great anyway, but with the new Martin strings, it was louder and sweeter. What a wonderful instrument. The Oscar Schmidt came with Aquila Nylguts on it and they sounded pretty good, better finger-picked than hard strumming. With the Martins, the OU280SWK sounded sweeter than it did before, but the volume dropped a lot. I figured that it would, but, I wanted to give it a shot just to find out to what extent.

If you have not tried the Martin fluorocarbons, give 'em a shot. On soprano ukes, they made a big difference.

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/M600.htm ($4.55 USD)

I had them on a solid mahogany soprano (Koloa) and found they were too muted and didn't have great sustain. I blamed it on the uke itself - it's an inexpensive Chinese uke. I put the new Aquila Nylguts on it and it totally transformed the uke. I don't have a problem with the Martins - but it's yet another example of how you sometimes have to search for the right strings for your specific instrument. I don't think there is a "universal" right string out there!

I concur on the Ohanas. Love the Martin strings.

Put them on a solid mahogany Concert in place of the Aquilas..... Still making up my mind. Like the FEEL of them but the sound is definitely muted rather than mellow to my ears - might try the aquilas again and make a recording this time - easier to compare :D

I really like the Martin 600s on my SK-38. I decided to give them a try on my new CK-35G Concert and will be putting them on today. If they sound and feel as good as they do on the SK-38 I'm going to take the new Aquilas from the CK-35 and try them on my Banjolele. I've been told they will sound better than the Martins that are on it now.

I put them on my mid-70s Kamaka soprano and love the sound. It seems to bring out the subtle tones. I had tried Nylguts and hated the harsh sound.
Put 620s on my Lanikai Spalted Mango Tenor after it had come with Nylguts. Big drop in volume but I kind of like the more mellow tone. The final verdict is still out on that one.

I just put a set on my EleUke and I like the feel much better than the aquilas they replaced.

I'm a weirdo that prefers the feel of Aquila strings. They grab my fingers better. But with the sk-38, yeah Martin fluoros all the way. :)

Are the fluorcarbons new? A couple of years ago some were saying that Martin strings wouldn't make good fishing line?

Aloha Mickey,
Yup, got them on my vintage martins...love them...M600 fleurocarbons..and they last long too..

Thanks Pippin, that's really good to know because all 3 music stores close by only sell Martin strings.

I am glad you brought this up, I really love the Martin Flurocarbon strings.....I am now using them on my high end vintage ukuleles and they are wonderful!

Also, local music stores around me tend to carry them, which is awesome!

I know EVERYBODY loves those Aquilas ......... BUT, I have an electric Oscar Schmidt that came with the Martin fluorocarbons on it and I LOVE THEM!!! Yes some of my others do have Aquilas, but don't under estimate the Martin fluorocarbons.

They're slinky, really bend, lay low have a nice tone ... on my set-ups anyway.

People calling them fishing lines are just, ummm, they're just ... well, I'm at a loss for words, they're fine strings.

:)

:)

they've done magnificent things for my concert fluke. but I couldn't get used to the C string so I stuck with the stock Hilo C string (looked cool anyway).

I love them on my '60s Marveltone Baritone. Whenever my other ukes need new strings, I'll be sure to try out Martins on them as well.

Follow-up to my previous post:
I did put the Martins on my CK-35. It's been almost a week and I love them. I tried the Aquilas on the GT Banjolele and removed them the next day. Didn't like the feel or the sound.... even made the Banjolele sound to "brashy" to me. Comparing the Martins that were on the Banjolele to the Flourocarbons there seems to be a little difference. I think perhaps they were Martin Nylons the store put on. Going to purchase a new set of 600s 1st chance I get.

Yesterday, I was playing ukulele with a couple of smart guys (mathematics faculty members at the community college where I'm a part-time math instructor). I had my SpruceHouse S-O soprano with Martin M600s. I swapped briefly with one of the smart guys for his Lanikai LU-21 strung with Aquilas; the first thing he said was, "Wow, nice strings."

I like the M600s' smooth feel. The tension's great, too. Nice strings, indeed, professor.

Top Bottom