Why are fluorocarbon low-G strings ALWAYS floppy and loose?

kissing

Reaction score
So I changed some of my ukes to a Fremont low-G fluorocarbon set.
And overall, it sounds delightful. A nice, balanced sound with just enough brightness and mellow.

However, I'm a bit peeved at how floppy the low-G string is??
I'm sure I'm not the only one who experiences this.
Is it intentional? It just makes it a tad unbalanced, and its easy to be a bit out of tune when fretting. Also it would sound much better if it was tension balanced with the others.

I noticed the same problem the time I used Risa's fluorocarbon low-G set. The low-G string insists on being loose and floppy.

I have noticed the same thing on my Flea with a tenor neck. I thought it was unsatisfactory and changed back to high g.

Its physics - hard to be peeved about that. Spend some time reading SouthCoastUke's stuff on strings and you will understand what is going on.

Well obviously it's physics that a string of a certain gauge is floppy at a certain tension.
However, my question is why is the string not at optimal tension at its designated low-G tuning? If you tune the Low G string to a higher note, for example A, then it would be closer to its optimal tension (closer to the tension of the other strings).

Is it a mistake that the string companies have made? I was wondering whether there was any purpose behind it.

I think the point is that physics makes it hard to make a low g string with the proper tension. :)

You could try Worth's Low G High tension string. I've tried the Worth CT-LGEX with better results.

I think the point is that physics makes it hard to make a low g string with the proper tension. :)

You could try Worth's Low G High tension string. I've tried the Worth CT-LGEX with better results.

Exactly the point - given the current materials (mass, diameter, elasticity, etc) they have to work with physics makes it hard to create the low G string we want. They could go to a larger diameter string (like the U-Bass does), but then they would not fit easily in a standard nut. I'm not saying that someone could not invent a better Low G, but I don't think most string manufacturers are material science guys, or there may not be a big enough market to spend the research dollars.

I tried some HiLo Low Gs on a tenor (a Mele as I recall) and I liked them a lot. The low G was still wound but seemed much smoother than the Aquilas I use.

Last edited:
I use ko'olau alohi string with a wound 4 string on a kamaka soprano.
Another thing to worry about is that the bridge slot may be too small for the wound 4th string. If the strings does not fit, you might want to have the slot widened with a file (or get it professionally done by a luthier like what I did on mine).

Aloha Kissing 88.
It's the lower tension that gives it a fuller and richer sound,, which makes the string resonate better...also the softer compound and thinner string...some like it for playabilty...slinky...

I think it's simply a reflection of what's available to the string "makers." I put makers in quotes because no one is "making" fluorocarbon strings. They are all basically fishing leaders from various companies (Worth strings happen to correlate perfectly with Seaguar, for example). A Seaguar 80 or 90 pound leader will barely get the job done as a low G, but will be a bit on the floppy side. The next size of line that is reasonably available, at least from Seaguar, is 130 lb. I haven't bought any of that yet, but based on my calculations I think it's probably going to be too tight. Unless somebody is making a leader that falls about midway between Seaguar's 80/90lb and their 130lb you just aren't going to get a perfect low-G.

I had an old Fremont Soprano/Concert Black Line hard C string on my concert as a low 4th G, it was a little better than either the Fremont or Worth Low G for tension but lost some of the depth of sound. I do have the Worth CT-LGEX string in stock but haven't tried it. I also have a set of South Coast Ukes' linear unwound strings to try on my tenor. I'll check back if I can get them on the uke today. I've dropped everything to spend time with the Risa! She is awesome, thank you!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who experiences this.

You already know the answer that you're not. There a few good responses as to the why it is, so I'm thinking you'd like to know the next step on what to do.

If you like carbon strings, I'd suggest you take the Savarez suggestion. After that, at least move to a wound low g. The 4th string (and 5th & 6th) in a Classical Guitar set is wound. This fits a Tenor scale, so why would it be any different. I'm sure if Guitars could get away with an unwound 4th, it would already have been done.

Personally, the sound of the Alliance is tops for most of my instruments (some take to D'Addario better). However the 4th string off the Savarez set is usually too strong (again, for my instruments), as is the requisite J4604 from D'Addario (matched with T46 trebles). This is where I like the Bronze wound D'Addario J4804, unfortunately hard to find as a single string (after I run out, I'll be looking at Aranjuez for the 4th string).

Basically, get a wound 4th.

That's the trade-off if you hate wound strings like I do. It's hard to get something to tune low at such a short scale and still have strong tension unless it's very thick. I tolerate the loose feel because at least it doesn't come unwound and and fall apart. I used to shred Aquila low G's in a matter of days and I don't even play that hard.

Basically, get a wound 4th.

Lol, unfortunately the reason why I tried the unwound 4th was so I can get out of using a wound 4th.
I'd been using wound low-G's til now. I don't really mind them.. they do what they're supposed to do.. but I figured having all the strings being unwound would be a bit nicer, as well as having a longer life rather than the G string dying first.

Thanks for all the suggestions and information though. I've been finding all the responses very helpful and insightful.

I Like 'Em!

I actually buy the Fremont BlackLine Log Gs because I like the low string tension. I still get the volume, don't have that annoying wound 4th string and the low tension makes it's so effortless to pick and strum. So put me down as a "Perfect 10" for the BlackLines!

Tried the low G Fremont blacklines on my KoAloha and Kamaka concerts. Also tried the low g Fremont clear on my KoAloha. Didn't care for any of them. Yes, floppy and enough "off" that I didn't like them. Back to re-entrant on all of my ukes.

but I figured having all the strings being unwound would be a bit nicer, as well as having a longer life rather than the G string dying first.

I'm really not sure what kind of wound 4th's are being used (not just by you), but I'm guessing they're `ukulele strings. I say this because I've experienced that in the past as well, and that's part of the advantage of not using `ukulele strings on my `ukulele (although that's not THE reason).

Honestly, the only players I hear complaining about wound strings are `ukulele players. Never Guitarists, steel or classical, and they have at least 3 of them to deal with. They just find the sets, and composites, that work for them.

Besides, strings are cheap. Of course, so is my friend, and he changes his strings when they go really dead, after about 6-9 months or so (he plays daily, performs weekly), and the wound string never unravels.

But, I digress, that's for another time and another thread. . .

-Aaron

Berkley makes a 100 lb clear fluorcarbon leader that is .041" in diameter. It is their "Vanish" line. You might try some of that out as a low G on a tenor.

Berkley makes a 100 lb clear fluorcarbon leader that is .041" in diameter. It is their "Vanish" line. You might try some of that out as a low G on a tenor.

That is interesting. That is almost exactly the same diameter as the Seaguar Premium 130lb big game fluorocarbon leader (.0413). Assuming the densities are similar it would probably be a bit tight, though probably usable. In fact, on a tenor it looks like either would fall midway between the C-string tension and E-string tension of a Worth CT set. Of course, with the string being much thicker than those strings it is going to feel much "heavier" at that tension. I'm tempted to order some 130lb leader just to see how well it intonates as a low-G.

John

Top Bottom