PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to be in Chicagoland this week...

Chris Tarman
05-08-2011, 06:08 AM
I'm going to be in St.Charles the 12th-15th, and was just wondering if there was any sort of uke activity, get-together, or anything going on in the Chicago area during that time. I'm going to be fairly busy at a Pipe Collecting show, but if anything's going on, I might be able to break away for a few hours. I will have a car and a uke with me...

knadles
05-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Off the top of my head...there's the Harrison Street meetup at Eastgate Cafe on Thursday night. 7-9pm in Oak Park.

Also, since you're in St. Charles anyway, you may want to check this out:

http://www.texasguitarshows.com/NewChiMay.htm

It's a guitar show, but I expect there will be ukes on site. The last guitar show I attended had them, and this is a bigger show.

-Pete

Chris Tarman
05-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks. I might be able to make the Thursday night thing. And the guy I am sharing a hotel room with at the pipe show is also a bassist, and we had talked about popping over to the guitar show.

Chap
05-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Friday the 13th, Daniel Ho is giving a workshop on beginning music theory, $30, at The Perfect Cup
Saturday the 14th, he's giving workshops at the Old Town School, but that might just be for slack key guitar, you'd have to call them and ask.

Chris Tarman
05-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks, Chap. I probably won't be able to make it to either of those, but I am going to try for the Oak Park gathering on Thursday. According to my GPS, it's about a 50 minute drive from where I'll be staying. That isn't such a big deal, considering that I'm driving two days to get to the area from Colorado!

knadles
05-11-2011, 04:16 PM
I often go to the Oak Park group, but I have a dinner to go to that night. Bah.

-Pete

ukunuke
05-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Chris - hope you make it to the Thursday night thing, and if you do, hope you'll let us know how it went. ENJOY!

Chris Tarman
05-19-2011, 03:27 PM
I DID make it to the Thursday night gathering in Oak Park. It was a lot of fun. This was the first time I had really played with other ukulele players, and it was nice to see that I was relatively competent! Everyone was really nice, and was impressed that I had come all the way from Colorado to join them, lol. I told them that I was in the area for a pipe collecting show in St. Charles, and one guy there told me he was a pipe-smoker and asked where the show was. He said "Well, I know what I'm doing on Saturday!". Sure enough, I ran into him at the show on Saturday and helped him pick out some tobacco.
The ukulele group were fun people. As I said, I'd never been to anything like that before... they had a stack of song sheets for the songs they were planning to play, and a donation bucket to cover the cost of the copies. One woman had a 1927 Gibson UB-1 banjo uke that she let me mess around with when we were done. It was very cool, but LITTLE! It was smaller than an average soprano, with a noticeably narrower neck. But it sounded very cool!
I'm going to Denver tomorrow night after work to see U2 Saturday, and I'm planning on going to the monthly meet at Swallow Hill Music Center (the Denver Ukulele Community meets there every 3rd Saturday), so I get to do it again!