Baritone tuned exactly like guitar?

enzymerich

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering...

I understand that the baritone uke is tuned just like the 4 highest strings of a guitar DGBE (lowest to highest pitch).

Are they the same octave though?

The baritone uke strings are clearly shorter than a guitar's strings.
So a given baritone string (D for example) couldn't be tuned at the same octave as the corresponding guitar string for the same note (D for example). Right?

So are the baritone strings actually tuned an octave or more higher than the guitar strings or maybe the baritone strings are thicker or looser to get the same pitch and octave as the guitar?

Please inform if you know.

Thanks!
Rich

Baritone strings are tuned to the same octave as the four highest strings on a guitar.

I don't play guitar (although I play with guitar players), so I don't know how the strings compare as far as thickness and tension.

Yes, they're exactly the same pitch. Bari's have a longer scale, but shorter than a standard guitar so they use different gauge strings to make up for the difference. If they used guitar strings (classical nylon please, no steel) then the shorter scale would require lower tension to tune to the same guitar note, thus generally you use a thicker gauge string set designed for the Baritone so you have a good balance between tension and thickness.

Top Bottom