Baritone DGBE tuned exactly like guitar?

enzymerich

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering...

I understand that the baritone uke is tuned just like the 4 highest strings of a guitar DGBE (lowest to highest pitch).

Are they the same octave though?

The baritone uke strings are clearly shorter than a guitar's strings.
So a given baritone string (D for example) couldn't be tuned at the same octave as the corresponding guitar string for the same note (D for example). Right?

So are the baritone strings actually tuned an octave higher than the guitar strings or maybe the baritone strings are thicker or looser to get the same pitch and octave as the guitar?

Please inform if you know.

Thanks!
Rich

Are they the same octave though?
Yes... unless you want re-entrant tuning in which case the D is one octave higehr than a guitar. I prefer re-entrant on a baritone, myself...

Doesn't necessarily have to be tuned DGBE. It depends on the strings, I have my Gibson baritone tuned GCEA using Southcoast linear and I think it sounds great, much better than I thought it sounded with the 2 wound strings it came with. I'm sure you could experiment with different string thicknesses for different tunings. Some would be problematic due to the thickness/thinness of strings at the nut.
by the way, here is what it sounds like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjswtewh5BA

Top Bottom