Taimane's Uke

mangorockfish

Reaction score
What brand of uke does Taimane play in her videos? She plays a black one and one that looks like it has a spruce top and maybe rosewood back and sides. They are both 8-string cut-a-ways.

Kamaka, custom no doubt. I've seen pictures of her with a four string Ko'Aloha.

Last edited:
I've wondered that too. In her videos it looks like she plays an 8 string uke that has fewer than 8 strings actually strung on it. Has anyone seen her play in person? Is my "observation" just my own optical delusion?

I took a workshop with her at the NY Uke Fest this weekend and got to see her uke up close. She only had 5 strings on it. The G was the only one doubled (high and low G, I believe).

Which one? I was there for her first one!

The 8-string spruce top with the cutaway is definitely a Kamaka, even though it doesn't look like one. She beats the crap out of it and it looks like it's been taped back together.

In many of her old vids, she uses 2 Custom Kamaka 8 String. Both are cutaways and one is painted black and the other is koa with a spruce top.

Last edited:
I've watched the vids with the black Kamaka many times - no way it has all 8 strings on it. I wonder if she does it for the extra space on the fretboard...

I've watched the vids with the black Kamaka many times - no way it has all 8 strings on it. I wonder if she does it for the extra space on the fretboard...
You're right - the first two courses (A & E) are singles. Why that is, I don't know.

Love Taimane - so, if I get a Kamaka 8-string tenor and take the three extra strings off I can play like that, right? LOL

Actually, if I was going to spend a lot of time playing tenor I probably would get an 8-string and take the C E and A doubled strings off - unfortunately, I'm afraid that in the extroardinarily unlikely event that I live to be 100 I would still never be able to play like that. :(

John

Top Bottom