Purchasing first Ukulele.

kate2

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have decided I wanted to learn how to play the Ukulele and I am ready to buy my first one! I have been reading some past questions on what to buy and I have decided on purchasing the Kala KA-S. I plan on purchasing this on ebay and I was wondering if the price sounds like a good deal/the store on ebay is legit?

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kala-KA-S-Beginner-Ukulele-Pack-Deal-PROFESSIONAL-SETUP-/130517487409?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6372cf31

I also found it cheaper on their actual website...
http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulelemarket/kala-ka-s-soprano-package

Anyone purchase from the hawaiimusicsupply before? They have very good ratings. I like that it comes with a case and tuner too!
When they say a professional set up what does that mean? It says it comes with Aquila nylgut strings and from what I have been reading that is good.

Thanks for the help and let me know what you guys think!
Kate

Last edited:
Aloha Kate,
Welcome to the UU and our forums..and the ukulele...I would buy from a reputable dealer...we have several member/dealers...depends where you live..A good set up means just that the
ukulele will be in the best playable condition and sounding with all the adjustments made...it is the best way to go and worth the extra cost..reputable dealers do them to every uke that
goes out....if you live in hawaii, HMS is good...If you live in the mainland... Mainland ukes, Uke Republic, Mim's, are just a couple reputable UU members/ dealers...here hope it helps..MM Stan

For my first uke I bought a koaloha sceptre it's pretty exspensive but I knew that if I bought it the pressure would be on to learn how to play it . If I didn't go that route a great starter uke would be a flea or fluke
enjoy

You should trying getting a concert. It may be more forgivable when you are first learning to play. A soprano might be a little to cramp for your fingers.
The best answer is to go to a music shop and go actually try the sizes. If you don't have any stores in your area just look on youtube for soundsamples and reviews. I also heard Makala, Kala's budget line, sounds better than Kalas. I am not sure if that is true or not. Hope you find the ukulele your lookin for.
^.^

Hi,
I'm not sure of the difference between those two, but I have the Kala KA-S, and I really like it. It sounds nice and is surprisingly loud, and the intonation is pretty good too (not perfect by any means but close for such an inexpensive uke). I've been playing it for a couple years and finally decided to upgrade, but I've been very happy with it, and will keep it forever for camping and going to the beach. I'd just be sure to buy through a good dealer that will set it up right whichever ukulele you choose, it makes a big difference. I just ordered through Uke Republic and Mike there is excellent, there are a few other dealers who are members here and who are great to work with, I'm sure others can recommend them.
Happy strumming!

KA-S has a binding and you could buy what you posted but you might not need a case. You can get a KA S for 65 from Amazon or a 15S for 49 or the KA-S starter with a bag and tuner for 85. Depends if you want someone else to set it up.

I'd get Mouthy1's Kala Travel Soprano with case for 130 delivered. Check the for sale section of the board. Its a lot better than the KA-S or 15S.

Top Bottom