Uke Club... I SANG IN PUBLIC!

fitncrafty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Well tonight I went to Uke club.. Holy moses.. I thought the group (or at least my daughter) would sing with me when it was my turn to do a song, and this time I didn't pass. I ended up singing ALONE.. yup.. That was scary, and there was NO amount of deodorant that could stop the sweat pooling from my armpits. :)

I know it didn't sound pretty, I had no chord sheets for others to follow so they were trying to follow me!! ha ha.. A total beginner!

The good news is I didn't die.. The bad news is, it was the biggest group of people I have seen in forever there.. I did something I thought I would NEVER do.. One guy a professional singer high fived me and said. "I sang on key" GREAT!!

Anyhow... It was good to push through a mortifying fear of mine and now I am home safe.

Anyone else want to share a story like that?

That's so awesome Carrie. Rapt for you. That is such a huge hurdle, and one that many never can jump.

When I was in grade 6 primary school I was laughed out of the choir auditions. The worst part about it was the teacher was the the ringleader of the mirth. I was so badly hurt and scarred by the experience I have pretty much spent my whole life with a complex about not being able to sing. It's taken me years to get to the point where I just appreciate it for what it is. I decided to stop necessarily trying to please other people or be complemented, but instead, to simply do it because it was something I loved, that was a crucial element in me being able to fully express myself as a human being. Once your motivation for singing is rightly oriented, I think it starts to be less terrifying.

That said Carrie, my advice is DON'T STOP NOW!!!. Keep the ball rolling mate. Because the more often you expose yourself in that way, the less raw are the nerves and the stronger becomes your performance as a result. Soon you will reach that place where it is much less a trial than it is a real joy.

It's a brilliant thing mate, as someone who has lived a lifetime in fear of others' reactions knows. Thanks so much for sharing it here because it will no doubt be a huge encouragment to many. Really looking forward to reading other members' posts. Congratulations buddy!!!! :)

Congratulations. I remember the first time I sang in public. Thought I was going to throw up (thankfully I didn't :) ) ANyway, once it gets in your blood you cannot stop. That was so cool that you did it. The first is the hardest! A couple things to remember is if you make a mistake-keep going! Most people won't even notice. The other thing is you are giving. People are enjoying what you do so you might as well enjoy it too! Keep it up! Dean

And Carrie's daughter was across the table from her, and I was sitting next to her - she did GREAT! Carrie has a very nice voice, she was indeed on key the whole time, and has nothing to be ashamed of!

She sang again later on, but most of us sang with her.

I didn't sing with her the first time, because i didn't know the tune. But she got me back later - she picked a song, and said, "Okay = YOU start this one!

-Kurt

WTG Carrie! I don't have a story to relate because I am still trying to summon up the courage to do what you did. Never played an open mike. I am still in the "ukulele closet." I am so proud of you for taking the leap.

Some day.

Good on you! It takes a bit of courage to do what you did. :)

I'll be honest... my voice is not that great, mediocre at best, but I can carry a tune and I'd like to think that counts for something. In choir situations I'm usually valued as an alto because I can sing the harmonious parts on pitch even if my voice isn't spectacular, so I basically contribute and blend in. I would still be scared about singing solo, though.

But think about people like Bob Dylan or Willie Nelson. They're not known for the quality of their singing voice but rather for singing with an individualistic style. I'd rather hear someone with an "average" voice sing sincerely than someone with a "great set of pipes" belting it out. Whitney Houston comes to mind for the latter. Nothing against her, but her style just doesn't move me.

One of my favorite singers of all time is the late Eva Cassidy. She could sing it both sweet and tender and she could belt at times. Her version of "Over the Rainbow" always sends chills down my spine, as she does both in the same song. :)

Congrats! Check it off the list. :)

It can be like riding a wave crashing towards a big ass pier. I am amazed by anyone that appears comfortable in that situation.

I am incredibly impressed. You are awesome. I've been trying to get up my nerve for over a year.

Woo hooo - way to go. Playing and singing in public is a big hurdle but once you've done it you tend to want to do it again. Like Eugene said, keep it up!

Aloha Fitncrafty,
Wow Congratulations, I'm proud and happy for you....You go girl!!!! the more you sing the more you get comfortable...and get in the singing zone... thank you for sharing...MM Stan

That said Carrie, my advice is DON'T STOP NOW!!!. Keep the ball rolling mate. Because the more often you expose yourself in that way, the less raw are the nerves and the stronger becomes your performance as a result. Soon you will reach that place where it is much less a trial than it is a real joy.

It's a brilliant thing mate, as someone who has lived a lifetime in fear of others' reactions knows. Thanks so much for sharing it here because it will no doubt be a huge encouragment to many. Really looking forward to reading other members' posts. Congratulations buddy!!!! :)

Hear, hear!

Carrie! I'm very proud of you!! We know what a hurdle that was for you, but you kept at it, and you DID it!

I had a similar story to Jon's. My 4th grade music teacher asked each of us to get up and lead the class in a song; I picked one we all knew, and she shot me down, saying - everyone's picked that one, you didn't think hard enough about it - and had me go sit in the back of the class. It took me about six years to get up and try it again - not until high school. The first time I got up again, it was unbeleiveably difficult. Now, I get a still get nerves before getting up and singing, but it gets easier every time.

It's great that good folks you know - Hey Kurt! - were there to support you.

Keep it up!

It was good to push through a mortifying fear of mine and now I am home safe.
All I can say is you have a huge round of applause from me, (can you hear it from here in Oz?) and heartfelt congratulations!
I know what you're saying. In my life journey I've put a lot of effort into overcoming acute shyness that plagued me for half a lifetime. Public speaking group for 3 years improved things greatly, and teaching yoga for now 11 years. Even so, the words "Open Mic" had me walking out the door. I finally bit the bullet and did my first open mic at UWC last year - with a little bit of onstage support from my friends the Flea-Bitten Dawgs. It was a case of "I've travelled half-way across the planet for this moment, and I'm totally amongst friends - if not now Jen, then when?" I just had to do it, despite the fear. That's nearly a year ago now, and wow, it is life-changing!!! So many doors have opened because of that one terrifying but exhilarating step up into the limelight. The honest truth for me is that I still feel enormous fear, and that fear tastes almost bad enogh to put me off completely, and while immersed in that fear I ask myself why on earth am I doing this to myself. But the anticipation is far worse than the onstage experience, which in fact has become more and more pleasurable. It's weird isn't it! One thing I try to do is think of being onstage as courageously sharing whatever gifts I have as an act of service: I have a mantra - "service, not nervous". It helps a little.
Anyhow - I am overjoyed for you and look forward to hearing how this story unfolds :)

Thank you everyone! I am so grateful to hear your stories and have your support! I didn't EXPECT to be singing FOR everyone, we generally play together and sing together. No matter what song you chose, chord sheets or not there is usually someone singing with you. I have always passed and not chosen a song. I figured that my daughter would at least sing with me, she knows the words... Alas she just strummed and smiled...
My heart is racing just thinking about it... :) Thanks again my friends~

Big congratulations for crossing (big drum beat)...."The Threshold"....(clang cymbals!!)

I sang so awfully cos of nerves at my first open mic, I enrolled in singing lessons...very worthwhile to boost confidence as well as develop some singing style. My second open mic was a month ago, twas better, sang well, but my right leg wouldnt stop moving around like i was having electric shock therapy. When I consciously stopped it I was afraid it wouldn't support my weight and i'd crash to the floor, so I just let it wiggle around,sort of dragging the rest me along in some sort of beat inspired dance,lol. I've got another open mic Sunday, so I can't wait to discover what "entertainment" my nerves will provide this time.

Singing solo for me is like getting in the shower knowing the hot water service is out of order, but hoping the water will come out hot anyway...

Congrats! Kinda fun isn't it?

Congrats!

This past Friday I performed at an open mic for the first time ever. I performed with a friend that I normally jam with. We did four songs....she sang and played and I strummed along. Not quite as exciting as your first time but it was a big step for me.

Top Bottom