Just received my Kamaka replica Valentine's Day present

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
So for Valentine's Day this year, I bought my spouse an iPhone 4, and I was given the promise of a new wood music stand -- hand carved that would serve as a tribute to my love for Hawaii and my Kamaka ukulele. I just received it today and I can't wait to use it.

frontofstand.jpg

The stand was made from unfinished lumber (mainly poplar) -- koa, alas, was too expensive. The top portion has two matching hibiscus flowers with vines, and the center is a map of the eight major Hawaiian islands. Each portion was hand carved and/or routed, and painted (the islands were stained a darker wood stain than the rest of the wood). Sorry for the glare in the photo...
bookreader.jpg

The base started off with the pencil drawings as did the rest of the stand.
base.jpg

Completed, the base's plumerias and vines match the vines on the top of the reader. The side supports have hibiscus to match the top, as well as honus (turtles).
side2.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
The Kamaka portion was done with a 1:1 ratio tracing of my actual Kamaka ukulele, and the fretboard and bridge were carved separately and mounted onto the face of the "ukulele." The Kamaka logo was traced and painted in mother of pearl paint, and actual Kamaka Schaller geared tuners complete the tribute to my favorite instrument. Here it sits beneath its inspiration, my most prized possession, my Kamaka ukulele.
wall.jpg

All in all I couldn't be happier and I literally jumped for joy. Thanks honey! :D

That stand was obviously made with a lot of love. I suspect your *real* most valuable possession is not a possession at all. Congratulations on the lovely gift.

Aloha WW11,
I was impressed with your stand, but when I saw you wall hangers and ukes...I got excited and sooo jealous..ha ha Thanks for sharing...MM Stan:):)

Nice job, it came out great. It looks like a lot of love was put into it.

It is lovely and unique and made by your love, can't get better than that.

LOL! Staci, I first saw this thread on my Droid and from the small photo I was looking at I was thinking "That Kamaka doesn't have as much curl as hers." I was also thinking how is the uke held in place? After reading farther down into the post I realized it was a replica! That is just great craftsmanship by your spouse.

(PS: as an attorney does "trademark infringement" ring a bell? Just kidding!)

Thanks everyone for the sweet comments, I really like it.

(PS: as an attorney does "trademark infringement" ring a bell? Just kidding!)

Ha, the thought crossed my mind with the KK logo and Schaller tuners. But hey, since it was not for sale/profit, I'm calling it a replica tribute instead. ;)

It's amazing :D The flowers are absolutely superb

OMG what a gift! That would definitely get me off my behind to learn those scales so I can read music and play it on the instrument I actually play. All the work that went into that. What an amazing reminder of your love of music, Hawaii, and your husband. :)

You should run some strings through the uke!

Tap some holes and run string through indeed! I thought it looked super realistic from the front. Very sweet piece. Love the hangers too. I forgot how cool they looked since the last time you posted pics of them.

Top Bottom