8 string baritone

[j]-Man

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a 1/4 size classical guitar (19" scale) that I've converted to a baritone ukulele, now I'm considering converting it again to an 8 string baritone. I'm thinking:

g g' d d' b b e' e'

so octaves for the lower strings and unisons for the higher strings, is this it's usually done?

Also I've tried aquilas on this uke before but they sounded out of place on the cheap laminate, so I'm looking for nylon strings, they give it a slightly clunkier sound that suits the build better I think...

Anyone have any suggestions for what strings I could get? I was thinking maybe piecing it together from two sets of classical guitar strings?

Many thanks
Johannes

Hm, a minute's thought on string gauges lead me to this first guess on what might be suitable

g g' d d' b b e' e'
5 2 4 1 3 3 2 2

(numbers relating to classical guitar strings, 6 being the lowest and 1 the highest)

Seems like I'd need THREE sets, that's no good, I do want to do this on the cheap... I could probably get away with a 1 on the high G, or maybe even 1s on the e's, but that does seem a bit odd. Thoughts?

I suppose I could get one high g and one low g bari uke set and have the d in unison too, but I would like an octave d...

Baritone project variation

I am thinking of converting a 1/2 size classical guitar to a baritone
ukulele.
It has a 21" scale.
I am thinking I want octaves on all four pairs.
I believe there is room on the Yamaha to extend the slots so as to
accommodate the two additional tuners needed.
What I have not yet given much consideration to is strings.

Any thoughts or suggestions in any area will be appreciated as I know
absolutely nothing about what I am doing.
I do have pretty good creative and mechanical skills.

Thanks
Bob

Top Bottom