Kamaka Tenor HF-3 vs Koaloha Tenor KTM-00

upskydowncloud

Reaction score
Hey if I ever get my money situation sorted (which will hopefully be soon) I'm considering upgrading to a tenor ukulele. I'm finding current uke (curly koa Lanikai concert) really good but am finding it a bit on the small side for some songs and have saved up some money so want to treat myself.

I'm trying to decide between the Kamaka tenor HF-3 and the Koaloha tenor KTM-00. I live in England so can't head to Hawaii to check them out so was hoping for a bit of advice. I've heard Aldrine's Kamaka and it sounds really good, I plan to hear the Koaloha down the phone before I make a decision but was wondering if there are any other differences between the two? I've tried to research both online but apart from the manufacturer websites I'm finding it hard to find major differences. They both seem to have koa bodies and mahogany necks and I think the Koaloha has more frets. There must be more differences!

I know you shouldn't make a choice based solely on looks but in that department the Koaloha has it!

Thanks in advance,

John

P.S If I do get one of these I blame everyone on here for my massively reduced bank balance.
P.P.S is it even right to compare such instruments? Or is the Kamaka in a different league altogether?

The insides, the bracing, are made differently because each is going for a different sound signature. There are pros and cons. Doesn't www.ukes.com have some sound samples?

Also consider G String. I got a chance to play a custom concert, and oh yeah, sounds like a uke should sound.

Yeah they have different sounds samples but the quality isn't excellent. I'll keep on listening! Thanks.

I have a Koaloha tenor. I love the sound of it very much. I do not have a Kamaka although I wish I had one. I do have to say I have seen many Kamaka lovers on this site. Its funny cause I asked the same question that you are asking. Kamaka or Koaloha? I will not mention names but after consulting with a seasoned uke player he said that Kamaka is "overrated" I thought that was harsh. Anyway..He convinced me to get a Koaloha. I am far from disapointed for sure... however still I would love a Kamaka and I do see myself getting one in the near future i hope. Not to make this chioce harder for you but.......My Kanilea Koa Dekuxe Tenor rules. It is the best sounding uke i own...this one has the tru bracing....man i dig it...I can not get enough of it. Warm and rich resonating sound....that thing vibrates through my whole body....amazing...

. I've heard Aldrine's Kamaka and it sounds really good...

An important thing to note about Aldrine's is that it was setup up with different specifications and along with having a slightly radiused fretboard. Although I haven't played a Kamaka personally, the setup would play a good role on how his sounds compared to one that just came out of the factory. YMMV

An important thing to note about Aldrine's is that it was setup up with different specifications and along with having a slightly radiused fretboard. Although I haven't played a Kamaka personally, the setup would play a good role on how his sounds compared to one that just came out of the factory. YMMV
Sorry to disagree with you but Aldrine's Kamaka was purchased stock . . .
Aldrine Guerrero said:
Tenor Kamaka ukulele
Mika. The one seen in most of the videos on YouTube and ALL the instructional videos. I got this for myself on my 22nd bday. I bought it stock with a passive pickup. Gave it to Jake Shimabukuro for some touch ups. BAM! We got ourselves a winner. Truly a beautiful instrument.

the setup would play a good role on how his sounds compared to one that just came out of the factory. YMMV

The only part about setup that would affect how an instrument sounds is if the action at the bridge was way off, and EXTREMELY high - usually its lowered, then subsequently affects volume. I'd like to think action straight out is close to where is should be from Kamaka (mine is spot on).

Actually, I would have to say setup plays a good role in how it plays more than anything else. Of course, a good setup should include setting the action at the nut and saddle, setting intonation, matching strings, and leveling and dressing frets. All of this at an extra cost, but somehow, seems to be expected off a factory instrument like Kamaka and KoAloha. Then again, that would be more realistic than expecting off cheaper instruments.

Sorry for the hijack - back to the Kamaka/KoAloha dilhemma . . .

Personally, I'd get the one that you'll play without saying "I wish I had the other one. . ."

-Aaron

I have one of the more recent Koaloha tenors. I play fingerstyle in low-G tuning. Excellent finish and craftsmanship. The neck is very playable. The sound is very balanced to my ear and is marked by a pronounced sustain. The sustain on this instrument is much better than my classical guitar for example. I live in a ukulele restricted area--so I cannot really comment on the Kamaka.

Jon

I'm glad someone asked this. I am saving the pennies I find in the street for one of the 2 of these.
I'm half way there from the money I made from the classes I was teaching, I figure by the time I am able to get one I should be able to play well enough to do a Ukulele of this level justice.(I hope)

So has anyone out there played both of these??

I have played the Koaloha (with my limited skill) and love the look, the feel and the sound, but I figure that if Aldrine plays a Kamaka he might know something I don't (I'm sure he knows ALOT more than I do!!!).

Kind of on topic can anyone compare the Sopranos of these makes???

The sound samples sound... exactly the same to me, lol. Maybe it's just me...

kinda late, but for sound samples make sure your using quality headphones (im not pointing at you justin, im justsaying for anyone who reads). Also turn up the volume all the way up.

when i was buying hi hats for me drums i listened to hundreds of samples, and i tried it again with el cheapo headphones and they ALL sounded the same.

sorry i cant help with your actual question =/

Kind of on topic can anyone compare the Sopranos of these makes???

Yes, I can comment on the sopranos. I own a Kamaka soprano, and have played a good amount on my friend's KoAloha soprano, and today, played a bit on a Kanile'a soprano. I also own a pair of Tangi sopranos, a non-bookmatched koa, and a mahogany model.

First, let me preface this by saying that after getting used to playing tenors and hearing their full sound and having such a large area to use on the fretboard, the sopranos just feel a bit small and just can't make the same sound (big duh there) and I only use them to play casual strumming tunes.

Now, the Kamaka soprano. It's a good instrument. Well built, nice action, pretty looking koa grain, and a nice bright sound, and decent sustain. I'm still using the strings that it came with. I believe they are D'Addarios. However, I believe the KoAloha soprano is a better instrument. It feels more "substantive" for some reason. It's also very well built, with good action, and looks pretty awesome with the spiky head and the musubi sound hole. The sound is also about the same. And it sounded even better after my friend swapped out the original strings for Aquilas. But for some reason, the KoAloha just felt more playable. It could differ from person to person, but over all the sopranos I have played, the KoAloha was my favorite.

As for the Kanilea I tried today, It's a nice instrument. The best looking of them all, with its high gloss finish and wood inlaid logo. But even with the TRU bracing inside, I noticed no remarkable sound difference. (With the Kaniela tenors side to side with a Kamaka or KoAloha, the difference in projection is remarkable.)

But here's the thing. Maybe my ear is just insensitive, but I have to say that my Tangi mahogany soprano which was around $125-$150 (bought it a loooong time ago, so I don't remember) sounds just as good as the high end models. And I'm sure you will hear tons of other stories about people with rather cheap sopranos that sound great. My koa Tangi sounds good and has a sound like a vintage kamaka, but it's not my style.

So, between the Kamaka and KoAloha, I would choose the KoAloha. But if you're just in the market for a soprano, and you have access to stores where you can play them before you buy, I'd recommend shopping around and trying some other brands. You may find yourself pleasantly surprised, and with more money left in your wallet...for more ukes. :D

Thanks for all of the useful comments guys, they're really helpful. Unfortunately I won't be in a location to hear them play in person till I actually buy one. From all I've heard I think it's going to have to be the Koaloha, as soon as I get the money of course. I like the look and from what everyone has said I won't be disappointed by the sound either.

Thanks again.

kinda late, but for sound samples make sure your using quality headphones (im not pointing at you justin, im justsaying for anyone who reads). Also turn up the volume all the way up.

when i was buying hi hats for me drums i listened to hundreds of samples, and i tried it again with el cheapo headphones and they ALL sounded the same.

sorry i cant help with your actual question =/

Amen with a plagal cadence. You need decent cans, a decent source (A dac and amp would be ideal), and then for all that, the original may have been crappily made.

Thank goodness I've more or less settled on my headphone setup. It's more expensive than buying ukes, and the ukes are much more fun!

Upskydowncloud, have you tried cruising Ukulelecosmos? I tried registering there and was rejected for some reason, but if you're able to register, there are a lot of UK ukesters on that board. There's even some luthiers from the UK from whom you could get a uke that would pwn a Kamaka or Koaloha. There could be uke players in your area that have the instruments you're interested in for you to test out.

Last edited:
Upskydowncloud, have you tried cruising Ukulelecosmos? I tried registering there and was rejected for some reason, but if you're able to register, there are a lot of UK ukesters on that board. There's even some luthiers from the UK from whom you could get a uke that would pwn a Kamaka or Koaloha. There could be uke players in your area that have the instruments you're interested in for you to test out.

Hey no I haven't tried that but I will do! Thanks for the tip, it'd be great if I could test them out before I spend all that money.

Thanks for the input about the Sopranos...

I have a couple of the Kala KA-S Mahogany's and really like them.
I have played the Koalana and the Koaloha Sopranos and could tell a big difference between all three.
You can see/feel/hear the difference in the fit, finish and sound between the Koalana, the Koaloha's and my Kala's. I think my Kala's look nicer than the Koalana's,(more finished) they sound different but I would't say either is better sounding.
There is no comparing them with the Koaloha's.
I was wondering about the Kamaka's due to the history of the company.

As on all these forum's everyone says you have to own a solid Koa I am thinking I need to get on the bandwagon, cuz I have UAS!!!!

Upskydowncloud.......not sure if you have your funds in order yet, but I decided to sell my KoAloha tenor tonight and will probably list it on UU tonight.
PM me if interested. It's only a few months old and comes with a case.

Top Bottom