Best volume with non-traditional model?

fabioponta

Reaction score
Hi UU members!
I need a uke that does not have the original format (always confused with a cavaquinho here in Brazil - a samba instrument concert size with 4 metal strings), and with a great and loud volume to play in the classroom with 60 students (I teach sociology and like to sing songs that match subjects at the end of some lessons: students really like).

I am in doubt: the best to get in the price range of $300 to $400:
A) mele pineapple all mahogany concert ($329)
B) Fluke tenor mahogany neck ($329)

What will be the best volume?
Another suggestion in non-traditional format?

When not go for a built-by-luthier instrument for a little bit cheaper?

http://www.bluegrassukes.com/products/Concert-Cigar-Box-Ukulele.html

If this one is anything like the traditional uke I have from Bluegrassukes, it blows the fluke out of the water in terms of playability and sound.
These ukes come strung low g; I have changed mine to high g tuning and it sounds awesome!

The classroom is the classroom....kids!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think I'd take anything too pricey to school. That said, two loud bargain ukes beside the flea/fluke is the Ohana CKP Vita uke..concert body, but with a soprano neck??? and the Ohana CK70RB...Spruce top composite back full concert size. in the $150 price range. For a better uke, I'd go with a Pono concert with Aquilas.

OMG many options...

UU friends, I'm still confused. This concert cigar box by bluegrassuke is a great deal, but, it has a good volume?
My school chidrens have 15/16 ages, teenage girls and boys: I think I'll don't have damage problems with it...
Maybe a Pono concert could be a tradicional body...
I'm still between the tenor Fluke and the Mele Pineapple concert... anyone have this pinneaple to give me some feedback?

Another options? Thanks all!

UU friends, I'm still confused. This concert cigar box by bluegrassuke is a great deal, but, it has a good volume?
My school chidrens have 15/16 ages, teenage girls and boys: I think I'll don't have damage problems with it...
Maybe a Pono concert could be a tradicional body...
I'm still between the tenor Fluke and the Mele Pineapple concert... anyone have this pinneaple to give me some feedback?

Another options? Thanks all!

No Fabio, the bluegrass cigar box definitely does not have good volume or projection.

From what you are saying I'd go with a flea or fluke. Good, well rounded tone, great volume and projection, bright, happy sound...can't go wrong!

http://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com/product/baroq-ulele%E2%84%A2-concert-variegated-pegs
Plenty loud but the version we have coming in is friction tuners.
These are really cool and are different than the traditional figure 8 body
I have one of those with the violin peg tuners. Frankly, I don't think it's very loud at all. Also, the rounded bowl back makes it really difficult to hold, a strap is absolutely necessary IMO and even then it tends to slide around. Never used friction tuners, but these pegs are really tricky and the slightest turn can jump the tuning a lot.

For volume, my spruce top Kala thinline travel tenor is pretty much a cannon. It's still the traditional shape, but only about half the thickness. I was really amazed at how good (and loud) it sounds. :)

If you want to spend a lot then go for it but I got a concert Luna Tattoo today and its really pretty excellent. I did switch the aquilas off of it and put martins on it.

Well, I'd go with the Fluke. Quite loud, bold sound and ultra durable too.
They're a time tested quality instrument.

Otherwise, perhaps a Banjo ukulele? They're VERY loud, and are not the traditional uke shape... they're banjo shaped instead LOL.

Otherwise, getting an electric ukulele would surely give you the volume and impress the kids.
You'll need an amplifier too though.

Thanks UU!!!!

How many options I did not know ...
Uke Republic showed a beautiful uke, but I think it will be a future purchase.
I still want a non-traditional uke, and I'm afraid that the Firefly banjo is not for strummings.
Nobody spoke of pineapple concert Mele (is out now),
So...

Fluke is winning!
Just a little help on the loudest volume:
I'll go with the tenor with rosewood fretboard,
With the traditional laminated Australian Hoop Pine or with laminated Mahogany? It make diference?

I would also recommend the peghead tuners option.
Originally they come with friction tuners. They're good quality for friction tuners, but I find them a real pain to tune.

Ooo I just remembered another GREAT option.
It's the Ohana Vita uke. Great non-traditional shape and one of the loudest ukes I've played.
I'd even pick it over the Fluke in terms of brightness and loudness.

Search it on eBay, they're quite affordable and amazing value.

I think the Fluke would be the best choice.

Top Bottom