Zither Heaven Ukes

Came across this on etsy today http://www.etsy.com/listing/67237078/zither-heaven-cherry-soprano-ukulele

It's a unique looking uke, looks unfinished and can't tell what the tuning pegs are.. curious if anyone else has heard of them? Played them?

They have some other unique looking instruments on their too..

Anyone know anything about them?

Seen them, played them, RUN AWAY! :)

Mike at Uke Republic got a couple & we all played w/them a couple of weeks ago, and another SE Uker got one of their "banjolele" models to play around with... following is MY OWN OPINION.

Pros: CHEAP! In the US, less than $50. Made from be solid wood. LIGHT (travel uke?) Has "zero-fret" like Fluke/Fleas
Cons: Tuners are similar to those found on an "autoharp" AKA "Zither" - thus the name & are adjusted using a "tuning wrench" - making new string break-in an interesting if not totally frustrating challenge! Frets are some sort of hard & clear plastic material that seem to be embedded into the solid one-piece neck (which is really one-piece w/no harder-wood & separate fretboard). Sides are solid & apparently cut out of a single solid piece of wood & THICK. Tops & bottoms are thicker than usually encountered on ukes - probably due to no apparent bracing and the thick sides. Overall, these ukes are thinner than the thinnest currently available "travel uke". NOW, the "banjolele" - the top/skin is made of "Baltic birch"!! And... as you might expect, it is nearly the quietest of the lot!

Admitedly, your mileage may vary! You may LOVE these. We ukers are all just a bit "twisted" - "but in a good way"!

Seen them, played them, RUN AWAY! :)

Mike at Uke Republic got a couple & we all played w/them a couple of weeks ago, and another SE Uker got one of their "banjolele" models to play around with... following is MY OWN OPINION.

Pros: CHEAP! In the US, less than $50. Made from be solid wood. LIGHT (travel uke?) Has "zero-fret" like Fluke/Fleas
Cons: Tuners are similar to those found on an "autoharp" AKA "Zither" - thus the name & are adjusted using a "tuning wrench" - making new string break-in an interesting if not totally frustrating challenge! Frets are some sort of hard & clear plastic material that seem to be embedded into the solid one-piece neck (which is really one-piece w/no harder-wood & separate fretboard). Sides are solid & apparently cut out of a single solid piece of wood & THICK. Tops & bottoms are thicker than usually encountered on ukes - probably due to no apparent bracing and the thick sides. Overall, these ukes are thinner than the thinnest currently available "travel uke". NOW, the "banjolele" - the top/skin is made of "Baltic birch"!! And... as you might expect, it is nearly the quietest of the lot!

Admitedly, your mileage may vary! You may LOVE these. We ukers are all just a bit "twisted" - "but in a good way"!

Hey Gmoney.. thanks for the honest opinion.. I was looking at them thinking if they were decent they are a great blank (and inexpensive) canvas for the hubby to paint on and supporting a small business.. I am not twisted enough and if a group of you SE ukers didn't like em.. I will stay away.. Thanks!

Top Bottom