Ukes on motorcycles

blender

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a new uke player (only a couple months), however I've decided I really want to take a uke with me on motorcycle trips. Trips can be anywhere from a weekend trip to 4 weeks, sometimes camping (meaning the uke and case might need to compete with camping gear) and sometimes "credit card" camping . I plan to carry the case inside a dry bag for rain protection. I use straps, not bungie cords, to secure my gear. If it makes a difference the bike is a BMW F800GS and I use Jesse bags (and no, I don't want to carry the uke in the panniers).

The issue I'm struggling with is what uke to take and how best to carry it (a sturdy enough case). On a motorcycle I'm not too concerned with weight, however I do want to keep the bulk down.

I currently have a Kala concert and a TallGrass concert. While either of these would work with the hard foam case I have, I see this as an opportunity to buy another uke (as if I really need a reason). ;)
My selection criteria is: 1) I want a concert size and 2) I'd like as compact a hard case as possible for the uke.

So far I see a couple options; either the Flea (with a concert neck) or the Kala travel concert. Neither of these are particularly "cheap"
nor do I consider them expendable. Hence, I'd like to protect them from travel abuse.

The pro/con of both: The Flea does have a hard foam case available although I don't know just how compact the case is; I'm not sure if Kala has a travel-sized hard case for the travel uke. The "plastic" back and fretboard on the Flea might stand up to a bit more travel punishment than the wood Kala.

Many of you have traveled and backpacked with ukes and my guess is there might be a few opinions on what might work for me. I'm open to considering other brands, although I do want the concert size.

Steve
Madison, WI

Welcome to the UU. I ride as well but I am not sure I want to take any of my ukes on my bike. I am curious to see what you come up with - good luck.

Aloha Steve,
Welcome to the UU and our forums..have fun and enjoy...While this ukulele is a concert, it doesn't have a case....just a bag..has a nice intonation and sound great accoustic or plugged in..
http://www.captainukuleles.co.nz/backpacker.html hope it helps...Good Luck...Happy Strummings...

As a rider, I can guess that you've seen "Wild Hogs". There is an early scene in the movie where they accidentally set their tent on fire (its their first night on the road) and during that scene you see William H. Macy holding a Martin uke as they are sitting around the campfire talking. That little bit of minutia probably went unnoticed by most of the riding community, but because I ride and play a uke, I sure noticed it.

I ride an HD Ultra Classic and have a T-Bag that goes on the rack on top of the Tour Pak behind me -- a standard-sized uke fits inside very nicely and is very securely attached. My only advice would be to not take a uke that you'd be real upset about being ruined -- not from going down, just from rain (and the other elements), bumps, etc. I do a single big ride each year (4,000+ miles) with a bunch of my riding buddies and taking a uke along would be a fun thing!

I have only used the T-Bag for the uke on short local trips, but it has worked perfectly.

Last edited:
I ride an HD Ultra Classic and have a T-Bag that goes on the rack on top of the Tour Pak behind me -- a standard-sized uke fits inside very nicely and is very securely attached. My only advice would be to not take a uke that you'd be real upset about being ruined -- not from going down, just from rain (and the other elements), bumps, etc. I do a single big ride each year (4,000+ miles) with a bunch of my riding buddies and taking a uke along would be a fun thing!

Actually, I *haven't* seen Wild Hogs. I might have to check it out just for that scene. The tip about not taking one you don't want ruined is a good one, that's sorta why I was having second thoughts about either the Flea or the Kala travel uke. I do intend to use a kayaking dry bag to store the uke in but as every motorcyclist knows water does find a way to work itself in....

And mm stan, thanks for the link to that "backpacker" uke!

Steve
Madison, WI

To be fair, Wild Hogs isn't that great of a movie (in fact, I think they have canned the sequel they were planning to make). There are a couple of really funny scenes, but only a few. If it was free and without commercials maybe I'd watch it again.

Don't overlook the Ohana CK70RB, a spruce top with a composite body. Full concert size, any concert case should work. Here's a UU post that compares some ukes that might fit your bill"

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?27043-Flea-Fluke-Concert-vs.-Ohana-CK-70RB

Here's some YouTube clips re: the Ohana round back concert:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ohana+ck70rb&aq=f

CK70RB on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220781773622&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited:
hey Steve

those cases that are sold with the fleas aren't the foam style ones mate, they're a custom made hard case and have a decent amount of weight in them. I would still be sorely tempted to get the flea though if I were you. They do sell them with the standard 'fleabags' which offer reasonable protection...and fleas are incredibly sturdy and forgiving instruments (and sound awesome)

A Makala dolphin is sturdy, sounds good, and can be used as a self defense weapon in a time of need.

But in all seriousness, concert size... you said you thought flea/fluke was kinda expensive, which to me says its something with which you would be mildly annoyed at it being broken. That being the case, I would just get an entry level concert size laminate (Lanikai, Kala, etc.) to bring along. They aren't BAD instruments, they just aren't the best. Any uke is better then none.

So you're riding a BMW? Well, I'm thinking that with that sense of style, you'd best go with a flea or fluke! After, all, you have standards, yes? All joking aside, I ride a Fatboy and have been having the same dilemma. I'm not taking either of my K's on the road with me - but am thinking that the flea just screams, "road trip!" Good luck - and BTW, although Wild Hogs isn't an Academy winner, it's the perfect movie to watch around the campfire on the flat screen with the motorhome sag wagon in the background. I'm one of the original "posers"!

So you're riding a BMW? Well, I'm thinking that with that sense of style, you'd best go with a flea or fluke! After, all, you have standards, yes?

LOL, if you saw some of the folks I hang out with you'd question those standards...
The F800GS is a dual-sport oriented bike, so I'm doing more exploring fire roads, more remote gravel roads etc. Especially riding out west I've been down some rather rough roads and over passes, that's why I want to make sure the uke is secured and protected. Sometimes the bike gets "tired" and decides to take a nap in the middle of the trail.

I'm going to monitor that Ohana over on Ebay and am still considering the Flea.

Over the years I've realized I can't afford to be cheap. The times I've tried to go cheap on tools, camping gear, bike stuff, etc. have always come back to bite me. I'm taking the same tack with ukes. I'm trying to balance my current skill level (I'm a noob after all) against the cost....

Sigh, then again there's a nice looking Boat Paddle model M tenor for sale over on Ebay.....

Steve

I hitch up my Aluma MCTXL cargo trailer (17.5 cu ft) to the back of my Goldwing. Pleanty of room for an uke or two (or 3,4,5,6, etc). :)

Aluma-carpet-job-003.jpg

I hitch up my Aluma MCTXL cargo trailer (17.5 cu ft) to the back of my Goldwing. Pleanty of room for an uke or two (or 3,4,5,6, etc). :)

Heck, you could fit an entire band in that thing.... ;)

Over the years I've been learning to carry less "stuff" with me on trips. Of course, one could argue that hauling a uke with me on the bike isn't helping that philosophy.

I think Kala makes a thinline concert...

Top Bottom