What is it with ukes and the grass always being greener ?

v30

Reaction score
I'm one of those guys that has too many hobbies and not enough time to devote to all of them. In none of my other hobbies though, do I feel the perpetual urge to upgrade my equipment. Why is that? Perhaps I think that someday I'll find that magical uke, that's got to be out there somewhere and when I pick it up and start playing....the uke will sound so good and it will virtually play itself and I'll instantly start sounding like Jake as opposed to the noise that I currently make...dunno?

This one is greener.

MUF-BA-FN50-GR.jpg

I think it's either number one or number two on the UAS diagnostic criteria list, or as lay people would call them, "SYMPTOMS"

I know exactly how you feel..... except for that part about being able to play like Jake. I know I will never get that accomplished. I will be very thankful to just know what chord is "next" and a little solo finger picking!

Fun, affordable instruments tend to be this way. I play tin whistle too, and I think they're pretty bad in this respect because they tend to play and sound quite differently, and are usually horrendously affordable.

I love all things quirky and so totally understand thread - whenever I see an unusual or funky uke I get the one word syndrom *want*. I've seen some lately that have been amazing shapes and designs. I don't feel the need to go for a really expensive uke, just the unusual (which unfortunately sometimes go hand in hand lol.)

I find myself constantly wanting to upgrade stuff in most hobbies I get into. Not just ukes. Eventually I kind of reach a point where I'm satisfied with the "collection" and slow way down. I'm kind of at that point with ukes now, and also for another more costly hobby. Unfortunately for me, I recently caught the bug on another hobby, so I'm not sure how that will go. I think some people just have a tendency to collect stuff. I know I certainly do. It's all good if done responsibly, IMHO.

It's kind of funny you should mention this. For almost two decades I was buying and selling guitars constantly - a few each year, at least. Then, I bought a Taylor midsize acoustic and had an SG style electric custom built for me and I haven't looked at any other guitars since. I used to joke that I kept buying guitars because I was looking for the one that would make me a better player. When I got those "perfect" guitars I realized that it wasn't a joke. You really will play better with a top notch instrument and, once you get said instrument(s) anything else is just bling. I'm not a big bling guy so I've never felt the need to upgrade from those guitars.

Much the same thing happened with uke. It took me a while to figure out that my favorite size was a concert scale with a soprano body. Once I did, though, there was no frittering around, got a KoAloha in that format as soon as I could and now I'm happy. Would a Moore Bettah be cool? You bet, but it's basically in the bling category so I don't expect to be ordering one any time soon. :)

John

Finding your Holly grail uke takes time, patience, experience, lots of money or just plain luck...there are even gems in budget ukes.....you just gotta go out and find them..:):)

Fun, affordable instruments tend to be this way. I play tin whistle too, and I think they're pretty bad in this respect because they tend to play and sound quite differently, and are usually horrendously affordable.

Horrendously affordable... until they consume your budget by sheer volume ;)

I find myself constantly wanting to upgrade stuff in most hobbies I get into. Not just ukes. Eventually I kind of reach a point where I'm satisfied with the "collection" and slow way down. I'm kind of at that point with ukes now, and also for another more costly hobby. Unfortunately for me, I recently caught the bug on another hobby, so I'm not sure how that will go. I think some people just have a tendency to collect stuff. I know I certainly do. It's all good if done responsibly, IMHO.

Time for you to become a Sinner. It happens to us all ;)

But I'm the same way. I'm about to end the headphone upgrade cycle for a few more years (it had already slowed to halt anyway, just consolidating and updating. Out with old, in with new.) And I finally got THE gear bag to end all gear bags, so I'm the one woman happy with her purse and not wanting to buy more. The same thing with watches.

And ukes - UAS done done done. I'm about to sell a bunch, and I couldn't be more happy with my choices. If you have that itch, you just haven't found the "you" instruments yet. It's a fun journey though.

Perfect timing on this thread for me. I went on the trinity tour on Oahu yesterday and today, and surprise of all surprises, I found that I'm very happy with the current stable. Although not "custom" my tenor is a great-sounding uke and my go-to when I just need to spend some time playing. My concert isn't flashy, but it's history and Gumby headstock, coupled with the serious punch it emits, makes me smile even when I don't feel much like it. I'm tempted in a big way by a beautiful extended neck pineapple Ko'aloha I played today, but realize that I really have all I need already. The day comes ... and now I just lust after the Moore Bettah art like most everyone else!

Finding your Holly grail uke takes time, patience, experience, lots of money or just plain luck...there are even gems in budget ukes.....you just gotta go out and find them..:):)

Maybe that's why I have such a mild case of UAS, because I found my Holy Grail uke. In 35 years, I've only acquired 5 ukes and a tiple. And a dead armadillo. But in 1995 I got a Kawika tenor, and it fits my playing style so perfectly that my other ukes are mostly just used as travel instruments now.

Ukes did that to me too...but you should see my yo-yo collection :) Pretty sure UAS lends itself to a particular mindset (sigh)

I had over 850 friggin' elephant sculptures in all materials (loved elephants, was a sculptor) and couldn't stop people from adding more as gifts. Unloaded bunches, have a couple Meiji period Japanese bronze ones and some garden seats, and a box or two in storage. It's the "hunt" that is seductive. That was over 20 years ago. Now that I have found and filled much of the hole in my soul things are not as important.

I agree when we find just the right "one" it stops the "-AS". I only have one Perfect Poodle. I do have a loaner Schnauzer however.

I had over 850 friggin' elephant sculptures in all materials (loved elephants, was a sculptor) and couldn't stop people from adding more as gifts. Unloaded bunches, have a couple Meiji period Japanese bronze ones and some garden seats, and a box or two in storage. It's the "hunt" that is seductive. That was over 20 years ago. Now that I have found and filled much of the hole in my soul things are not as important.

I agree when we find just the right "one" it stops the "-AS". I only have one Perfect Poodle. I do have a loaner Schnauzer however.

My wife and I have the perfect poodle. He's red. He opens doors and kitchen cabinets; hasn't figured out the refrigerator yet, but he's been watching us very closely when we open it. A few weeks ago, he got a blanket from the chest and put it on the chair he likes to sit in. Help!

It's kind of funny you should mention this. For almost two decades I was buying and selling guitars constantly - a few each year, at least. Then, I bought a Taylor midsize acoustic and had an SG style electric custom built for me and I haven't looked at any other guitars since. I used to joke that I kept buying guitars because I was looking for the one that would make me a better player. When I got those "perfect" guitars I realized that it wasn't a joke. You really will play better with a top notch instrument and, once you get said instrument(s) anything else is just bling. I'm not a big bling guy so I've never felt the need to upgrade from those guitars.

Much the same thing happened with uke. It took me a while to figure out that my favorite size was a concert scale with a soprano body. Once I did, though, there was no frittering around, got a KoAloha in that format as soon as I could and now I'm happy. Would a Moore Bettah be cool? You bet, but it's basically in the bling category so I don't expect to be ordering one any time soon. :)

John

I understand completely. I have some really great ukes, and were I to get more, I think they would pale in comparison, stay in their cases, and only be admired occasionally for their bling. I like sopranos and concerts (have enough), hardly ever feel the need for a tenor, have a baritone that I don't play much at all.

When I get interested in something, I have to know all about it. So, I learned a lot about ukuleles and have begun building them with a few experienced friends. I'll probably want to keep ones I make, because I made them and am beginning to apply some creativity in their design. However, I think it will be a while before they are on a level to challenge my purchased ukes as players.

I fear my obsession will get worse as I become a better player. It happened to me with guitars. As I learn a song and think, this would sound even better with this type guitar with this tone. I now have 12 guitars and so far only 5 ukes.

John

Bingo - me, too. My first soprano uke was a Martin 0, which I got 20 years ago. I haven't bought a soprano uke since then except for an old beater Hilo to leave in the office. My first Concert was a Ohana, which I picked up last year - haven't looked at another since.

On banjo ukes, I've bought six over the years looking to see if I could get just the sound I wanted. finally, I resolved to get the best I could afford and when I got my Ludwig late last year and my Gibson earlier this year, all desire to buy another banjo uke disappeared. I got the sound I wanted, so now I can save my $ for vacation or retirement. :)

Top Bottom