Mele Ukulele's - Opinions?

8daypsalmist

Reaction score
I'm looking for a solid wood Concert in the $500 dollar range and eBay seems to render a few Mele's at that price point. They look pretty, made in Hawaii, Koa, etc. but HOW DO THEY SOUND?

Can't find much feedback on them through the search function. Anyone want to share an opinion or two?

Peace,

James

You may want to send haolejohn a PM. He is the resident Mele man here and probably has more insight into them than anyone.

They are high quality instruments. I have a Mele guitarlele that is a keeper, sweet as can be, plays like a dream, beautiful instrument.

They are made in the Phillipines and shipped to Hawaii for final setup, etc.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.meleukulele.com/

You may want to send haolejohn a PM. He is the resident Mele man here and probably has more insight into them than anyone.

I've only owned one, & loved it, but it was in the early stages of my ukulele "carer" & I let it go to purchase another, more expensive uke.

I have played a couple of HaoleJohn's, including his newest; a tenor cutaway w/redwood top - a real stunner! They are a better than average uke for their pricepoint & w/a few exceptions, UU members who own them have positive things to say about them.

Just an added note; for that price point, there are quite a wide range of choices. Check out http://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com/category/concert-size-ukes - & http://www.mimsukes.com/ for examples - both owners are active UU members & carry several brands that you may be interested in and do final setup before shipping.

Last edited:
FYI - They're manufactured overseas and finished in the 50th State.

I don't mean to say anything bad about ukes that others like but I had a concert Pineapple and honestly, it was not good. Just didn't sound good no matter what strings I put on it. I sold it. Played several in HI in February hoping to like them and again, just couldn't even justify $100 on them. They may have needed to open up, etc... but it was really lame sounding. You wanted an opinion and you got it. Don't want to offend because I have heard more good stories than bad but mine have been all bad(and the saleswomen in HI said she felt the same way.).

In that same price range also check out Big Island ukuleles (their Honu line is Koa; they also have a beautiful mahogany line - built overseas, set up in HI, I believe) or Pono (built overseas, set up by Ko'olau Ukulele on Oahu). Both make very nice ukuleles. A friend's Big Island mahogany tenor still ranks as just about the most beautiful-sounding uke I've heard.

Also, Kelii is Hawaiian-made and probably in your price range, too. They get very good reviews as well.

Of all those, I've owned several Ponos which I liked, and I've heard that a switch in manufacturing facilities has only made them better. I mentioned the friend's Big Island - I was hugely impressed there. I've never heard or seen a Kelii in person, but I've also never heard a bad thing about them.

Last edited:
Two additions... I had the Mahogany Concert Pineapple & LOVED it. It was simply great & sounded great as well - I believe that that I had either Orca or Fremont Blacklines on it when I sold it here on UU to help get some cash towards my KoAloha Super Concert.

And... I think that both Uke Republic & Mim carry Big Island ukes & they are a great bargain as well like bbcyrts mentioned.

I have a big island Koa that is stunning(although I am going to sell it??? I don't understand myself honestly). I would look around at other options just to make sure you are making the right call. Pono's are magical sounding too.

I have a big island Koa that is stunning(although I am going to sell it??? I don't understand myself honestly). I would look around at other options just to make sure you are making the right call. Pono's are magical sounding too.

I've seen photos of Mouthy1's Big Island & it would be a sweet uke for sure - I have just bought 2 other ukes, so have to sell off a couple of mine to refinance those purchases or I would buy it myself!

I put Alohi's on it and man did it make a difference! I like the Alohi's on Koa for sure.

Thanks for the feedback everybody! There is a reason for a "buzz" on certain brands and not on others.

I've had a solid Koa Tenor for about 1-1/2 years and love it. It was my first and still only "serious" ukeulele so I'm probably biased and not as experienced as many others here. In some of my uke classes, others have commented on it and asked to play it if that's a recommendation. I bought mine from Mele in Kahului and thuroughly enjoyed the experience. I made several trips to the store before pulling the trigger and they were great to deal with and very patient as I contemplated between ukes and wether I should buy at all. I even got some uke lessons from Peter.

Here's a post I made re: my Mele solid koa tenor. Had to lower a whole step to get it to sound halfway decent, currently trying to decide on strings that will sound good so I don't have to lower tuning. Just bought a Braddah (pre-Mele Mele)soprano. Had original strings, havent received new ones yet, but I think it will sound good. Guy at my uke meetup has a solid mahogany Mele concert with wound 3 and 4 that sounds amazing.
Not sure I'd sink that much money into a Mele. I've seen slihtly used Ko'olaus in your price range. I just picked up a Pono MCD E with Ko'olau case for $285 with a tiny ding on it.....sounds amazing.
Seriously considering Koolau Alohi's, low g with wound 3 and 4.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...-year-old-Mele-Koa-Tenor&highlight=mele+tenor

Last edited:
I put Alohi's on it and man did it make a difference! I like the Alohi's on Koa for sure.

Seriously considering Alohi low g with wound 3 & 4 on my Mele Koa Tenor after hearing at Hawaiimusicsupply Lanikai monkeypod acoustic/electric demo, on second half of the sound bite.

Seriously considering Alohi low g with wound 3 & 4 on my Mele Koa Tenor after hearing at Hawaiimusicsupply Lanikai monkeypod acoustic/electric demo, on second half of the sound bite.

I got a set of those alohi strings but haven't put them on anything yet. I did enjoy koolau golds on my double puka.

I'm looking for a solid wood Concert in the $500 dollar range and eBay seems to render a few Mele's at that price point. They look pretty, made in Hawaii, Koa, etc. but HOW DO THEY SOUND?

Can't find much feedback on them through the search function. Anyone want to share an opinion or two?

Peace,

James

I love my Meles. Almost as much as my koalohas.
Mele really doesn't advertise their ukes like other companies. There really isn';t many dealers of Mele either but i was lucky enough to live across the street from the Maui store (main store) and Cheryl taught me my first chords.

Everyone knows I am the unofficial Mele spokesman and I will quickly recommend a Mele over any other import. I have owned Ponos, whose craftmanship is unmatched but lacks the Mele sound IMO. Honus are beautiful but they lack the sound as well. I prefer a nice sound over a nice look.

I recently gave away an Ana'ole custom tenor to a friend of mine. he wanted my mele 6 string or a mainland. I convinced him of the ana'oles beauty and nice sound. I hoard my Meles.

If you are looking for other ukes, I recommend sailor brand ukes as well. Very, very, very nice:)

My personal experience:
I had a Mele solid koa concert a few weeks. The sound was not bad, but I think the Mele concert body was very close to the soprano size of my Koaloha soprano I've ever had.
The satin finish is very good, slim body, and the koa was dark and grainy. The sound was warm, but did not make my expectations: I expected a brighter sound for my concert koa, and then I sold it. (It was worth clear strings).
Maybe a Kelii concert would have a same price whit more bright tone, if that's what you're looking for. If you want a koa concert with warm sound, this is the way.

Top Bottom