So....I put some Tenor strings on my Concert

8daypsalmist

Reaction score
After reading about (and then) putting CONCERT Aquila's on my little Makala dolphin to bring out the tone, I had the idea that I could "louden up" my Concert by putting Tenor strings on it.

I actually like the extra tension. The tactile response of the tenor strings fits my playing style and sounds great on my Kala Laminate Koa Concert.

Has anybody else tried this?

Peace,

James

I put Concert strings on a Soprano once. I had trouble keeping it in tune for a long time. It was pretty nice sounding when I was able to get it to hold, though. The volume and depth of tone are better than it was with Soprano strings on it.

I put sopranos on a concert, and really liked how that turned out.

I put a set of d'addario tenor on my tenor uke and they sounded dull and aweful. Swapped them out for a set of concert d'addario's and they sound quite good.

I put some Galli Carbino Classical Guitar strings on my cheap $30 soprano. They were on the tenor first but it seems to have made the little soprano more enjoyable to play.

Sometimes it works out quite nicely.

Some string brands use the same strings for the concert and soprano...like Kamaka for example..

I recently put tenor Aquilas in place of D'Addario Hawaiians on my cheap soprano. Really changed things on that uke, I find myself incredibly happy with it now in terms of playability and sound.

I used to have it tuned up a full step aDF#B so it wouldn't buzz, but with the extra tension of the tenor strings, gCEA works just fine. I was worried at first that the tension might pull up the bridge, but then I thought about it, the tension is not too much different considering it used to be tuned up so much higher.

The only thing that would worry me,is the extra
tension on the neck and the neck joint! From
soprano to concert is a small step and the strings
are almost the same gauge,but to go up to tenor,
well,I don't think I'd risk it! But if it works for you...

i thought u would get lower tension since going to a shorter scale.. Thats why i use eadg guitar strings on my risa tenor for dgbe tuning. If i tuned it eadg, it would be too loose. I once put baritone strings on a tenor.. Super loose and floppy

Top Bottom