What chord is this? Dmaj9?

marymac

Reaction score
Hi All - I'm working on tutorial by easyukulele on youtube for Horse With No Name http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuPj0UqAXU4. Pretty easy song (which I like!) so I was making a doc of the song for myself.

Unfortunately I can't find a chord chart for one of the chords he shows. He names it as Dmaj9 but I can't find a chord chart (image) for it. He demos it as 2422 with the second fret barred. Is that D9th? How come I can't find a D9 or Dmaj9 chord chart anywhere for uke?

Thanks!

Aloha Mary,
I found 2422 I now think it is a B7sus 4 sorry for the mistake

Last edited:
Well the 2422 sounds right when I play the song and B7 doesn't (I also know B7 as 2322). I'm just going to have to make a manual chord chart for the mystery chord for now I think. Hopefully some theory geek can help me with this one this evening.

Last edited:
Well the 2422 sounds right when I play the song and B7 doesn't (I also know B7 as 2322). I'm just going to have to make a manual chord chart for the mystery chord for now I think. Hopefully some thoery geek can help me with this one this evening.
Aloha Mary Mac,
It's a B7sus 2422

Last edited:
Hi All - I'm working on tutorial by easyukulele on youtube for Horse With No Name http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuPj0UqAXU4. Pretty easy song (which I like!) so I was making a doc of the song for myself.

Unfortunately I can't find a chord chart for one of the chords he shows. He names it as Dmaj9 but I can't find a chord chart (image) for it. He demos it as 2422 with the second fret barred. Is that D9th? How come I can't find a D9 or Dmaj9 chord chart anywhere for uke?

Thanks!

I dont' think that's a D9 or Dmaj9, because you're playing a B on the A string. It could be a D6/9. The B note would be the 6. It could also be called a Bsus7. Or an Esus9. I don't know the best name for it, but I always liked the sound of that chord shape.

I found this online:

The D Major Ninth chord contains the following scale degrees and notes based on the D major scale:
1-D
3-F#
5-A
7-C#
9-E

On a GCEA ukulele, the frets 2422 represent the notes A, E, F#, and B. Each of the notes other than B is in the Dmaj9 chord. To play a Dmaj9 chord, you could play four of the notes (A, E, F#, and C#) by playing 2424. You could also play four of the notes (A, D, F#, and C#) by playing 2224. That's the one I'd choose, because it has the root note (D) in it.

I'm not sure what chord is played by playing A, E, F#, and B, but whatever chord that is is the chord you're playing when you play 2422. In the key of D, those notes represent scale degrees 3,5,6, and 9. The 6/9 chord uses the scale degrees 1, 3, 5, 6, and 9, so 2422 looks like D6/9, without the D (root) note.

1-D
3-F#
5-A
6-B
9-E

For what it's worth, in the key of A, those four notes represent scale degrees 1(A), 5(E), 6(F#), and 9(B). So 2422 could also be A6/9, without the C#.
1-A
3-C#
5-E
6-F#
9-B

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Technically, 2422 could be used for any of the following (in order of liklihood in the absence of knowing what key the song is in, if you know the key of the song we can nail it down tighter).

B7sus, Bm11, Em11, Gbm11, B9sus, B13, Bm13, A6/9, AMaj13, A13, Am13, E9sus, E13, Em13, Gbm13, D6/9, DMaj13, D13, GMaj13

(You can pretty much ignore the 13 chords as they are used extremely rarely.)

http://www.praiseuke.com/blog/?page_id=43

John (and, yes, I am a hopeless geek)

Top Bottom