Uke Music Standards (Musical Compositions)

The Agent

Reaction score
In various genres of music there are certain standards (musical compositions) that one should know and should be part of his or her musical repertoire, for example in Jazz circles they are certain Jazz standards that most Jazz musicians know by heart. In your opinion what standards do you consider a must or should know as uke player? :D

5 foot 2 was one of the first ones I heard a uke player playing.

Tough question. The ukulele is suitable for any kind of music, so each ukulele player can find her or his own "standards".

It seems to me like every ukulele player should learn at least one Hawaiian classic and at least one hit from the 1920s explosion of ukulele popularity; I'd nominate Aloha Oe and Singing in the Rain, respectively.

My goal is to make an arrangement of Tiptoe The Tulips. Yep, that one.

Pretty sure every uke player can play 5 foot 2. I would hazard a guess that we can all do Aloha Oe as well. After that, it all blurs as we all like different music. If people still want me to play "I'm yours" for much longer, I think I am going to learn the complete works of Black Sabbath just to make them go away.

I'd have to think that the IZ version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" has become a standard, even though the original version of that song had nothing to do with the ukulele.

As stated above, it depends on the genre you work within, etc. I can't play any "standard" uke songs, but I can turn out renditions of April Showers, Bewtiched, Bothered and Bewildered, and My Funny Valentine without lead sheets. I suppose they don't call them "standards" for nothing.

yeah, I knew the standards can be subjective but I was curious to see if people's idea of "standards" have some common denominators. I definitely thinking that traditional Hawaiin song or songs should be somewhere in the list. After all, while the uke may have Portugal origins, it is "born" in Hawaii. I am relatively new as Uke player but I made a point to learn some traditional songs, like TheOnlyUkeThatMatters and TCK, the song Aloha Oe is on my standards list along with He Mele Lahui Hawai'i, He'eia and Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u. Mds725, I have some of Iz's stuff is on my list as well, Somewhere Over the Rainbow is a good one.

Top Bottom