PDA

View Full Version : Pallet Tenor Ukulele

Timbuck
05-13-2011, 04:39 AM
Now on E-bay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270749033505
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/full.jpg

Mandarb
05-13-2011, 04:41 AM
Beautiful uke. Shame - I think shipping would be a killer to United States. Good luck with the sale.

sukie
05-13-2011, 04:55 AM
Whoever ends up with this is gonna be very happy. Looks cool and sounds cool. Good luck on the sale.

Gmoney
05-13-2011, 04:56 AM
Let the bidding begin! Hope someone in the US buys it & takes it to UWC so everyone who goes can take a swing at playing it!

provines
05-13-2011, 05:19 AM
I'm winning! What a thrill to be the high bidder for mere seconds. I thought I'd kick start the auction. It is a very unique instrument.

Update: I think I was the high bidder for 38 seconds :)

UncleElvis
05-13-2011, 05:33 AM
Dear Mr. Buck,

When I buy this (By the way, THANK you for the next 7 days of anxiety and freakout-itude! AAAAAGH! My heart can't take this!), can I get you to string it low G for me before you send?

Thank you in advance,

The future owner of the Pallet-elele,

Uncle E

Tudorp
05-13-2011, 06:23 AM
That is a cool looking uke. Some really out of the box building with that. Love those screw markers... That is really an inovative and creative detail.

bbycrts
05-13-2011, 06:34 AM
I thought you were building it for yourself! I'm going to have to watch this one just to see the drama! Good luck, Mickey!

UncleElvis
05-13-2011, 06:36 AM
ACK! Outbid!

GRRRR...

UncleElvis
05-13-2011, 06:53 AM
Not any more!

v30
05-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Its certainly unique. I'd be very happy to own it!

Gmoney
05-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Not any more!

I vote we all defer to Uncle Elvis & let him bid what he may to win this one. UncleE will probably even build another "bindle" to suit this exquisite uke!

sukie
05-13-2011, 07:40 AM
I vote we all defer to Uncle Elvis & let him bid what he may to win this one. UncleE will probably even build another "bindle" to suit this exquisite uke!

Maybe he could make one out of oranges crates or somethin'?

Canoe Lady
05-13-2011, 07:49 AM
I must say, as much as I would love to have this uke and how well its appearance would match my house, I am likely going to let Uncle Elvis have it....sigh. His desire and likely his checkbook are greater than mine.

Maybe, just maybe I could convince Timbuck to do another, perhaps a sporano??

UncleElvis
05-13-2011, 07:54 AM

Thank you, brother, but it should go to who wants it the most and, with respect to Sir Buck, who pays the most. I wouldn't want him to make any less than the most possible money he can get for it.

I want it, though. I really, really do!

Maybe he could make one out of oranges crates or somethin'?

I was thinking about the bindle I would make for this. It'd be full-on hobo, wine crates (we don't get orange crates here, but that would be GORGEOUS!) and found objects, antique fixtures... all sanded smooth and sleek, like this gorgeous creature here.
The juxtaposition of the beat up pallet and the beautiful finish he put on it are what appeals to me so much. The beauty from the rough and tumble.

If you'll forgive the crudity, Timbuck has almost literally polished a turd!

the one thing that I'd love to do, if I made a bindle for this, is figure out a way to hide a victrola speaker cone of some sort in it.

UncleElvis
05-13-2011, 07:55 AM
I must say, as much as I would love to have this uke and how well its appearance would match my house, I am likely going to let Uncle Elvis have it....sigh. His desire and likely his checkbook are greater than mine.

I'm not so sure about the checkbook! But the desire is absolutely there!

Gmoney
05-13-2011, 07:55 AM

He already has the "pallet uke kit" ready to do that soprano!

UncleElvis
05-13-2011, 07:56 AM
and remember, I gotta pay for this thing to come to Bermuda, if I win it!

Time to settle in to obsessively hitting the "Refresh" button on the page, for an entire week.

sukie
05-13-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm not so sure about the checkbook! But the desire is absolutely there!

We can let you buy it. We just can't let you HAVE the Ks.

UncleElvis
05-13-2011, 08:00 AM
We can let you buy it. We just can't let you HAVE the Ks.

LMAO

I'm destined to never get a K, I think.

Gmoney
05-13-2011, 08:13 AM
LMAO

I'm destined to never get a K, I think.

I think it needs to ride in this case:

http://cgi.ebay.com/most-unique-Wooden-Tenor-ukulele-CASE-one-a-k-ind-/320696492175

It was made for MGM - he carried ukes in it whenever he went to Uke events.

mds725
05-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Totally cool ukulele! It's very cleverly designed, and I loved the thread about its build.

On another topic, I had no idea there was a Cleveland in the UK.

Tudorp
05-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Totally cool ukulele! It's very cleverly designed, and I loved the thread about its build.

On another topic, I had no idea there was a Cleveland in the UK.

I wonder if ya'll have a Drew Carey over there too.. ;)

UncleElvis
05-13-2011, 08:34 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/most-unique-Wooden-Tenor-ukulele-CASE-one-a-k-ind-/320696492175

God, that's gorgeous. But I can't do that AND the uke AND UWC AND and and and...

I wish I could!

UncleElvis
05-13-2011, 08:36 AM
I wonder if ya'll have a Drew Carey over there too.. ;)

Kinda...

http://www.poster.net/caine-michael/caine-michael-photo-xl-michael-caine-6208253.jpg

Theirs is a little more dapper and sexy.

equiplay
05-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Having handled and played this uke last night, I can assure everyone that it does not disappoint.
Somebody please convince me that I don't want/need it.

UncleElvis
05-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Having handled and played this uke last night, I can assure everyone that it does not disappoint.
Somebody please convince me that I don't want/need it.

What do you need with this? You don't! Come on. A man of your stature? Playing a ukulele made of a pallet? Please. It is to laugh.

(Translated: PleaseDon'tWantItPleaseDon'tWantItPleaseDon'tWantI tPleaseDon'tWantIt)

equiplay
05-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Ha Ha - Nice try Uncle Elvis.
I have a feeling my pension will not come anywhere near financing this gem :>)

I even offered to provide a pallet for Ken to make one for me, but he just gave me a sort of Mona Lisa smile :>)

v30
05-13-2011, 09:26 AM
UncleElvis.....beware of those last second snipers! :D

sukie
05-13-2011, 09:28 AM
You guys gotta quit bidding against each other. Ya got 6 more days to live through this.

UncleElvis
05-13-2011, 09:37 AM
I've put in my maximum limit (as it stands now, I'm hoping it will change in the next couple of days) and am just leaving it there.

As I said in the PoHo thread, if I don't get it, at least I'll know it's going to someone who really wants it.

equiplay
05-13-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm definitely not gonna bid anymore
(Is my nose growing?)

UncleElvis
05-13-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm definitely not gonna bid anymore
(Is my nose growing?)

That's you? Ya bugger! I was a fan of yours! Now I must...

nah... I'm still a fan. If I can't get it, I'll be glad it goes to you.

dkcrown
05-13-2011, 10:21 AM
UncleElvis.....beware of those last second snipers! :D

Ready, Aim,......

OldePhart
05-13-2011, 01:58 PM

Woah! I'm not sure I get the point of a case that is as pretty and as easily damaged as the uke it's protecting, but that sure is cool! But, where do you find a case to protect the case?

UncleElvis
05-14-2011, 03:58 AM
I think I'm out, sadly. I'm gonna look around for some money, but I have a feeling this is going to be too rich for my blood.

Well done, Timbuck! You deserve WAY more money than I have for this beauty.

Gmoney
05-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Something happened - price has dropped back from the ozone - must have been someone has rescinded their bid.

Uncle Elvis - "For the Win!"

Timbuck
05-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Something happened - price has dropped back from the ozone - must have been someone has rescinded their bid.

Uncle Elvis - "For the Win!"
I know this Guy..His Girlfriend stepped in and put him straight.."the Uke or Me" situation:rolleyes:

sukie
05-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Can't you just end the auction early and sell it to Uncle E? I'd sure have a more restful 3 days and 19 minutes. I'm nervous for him! I'd really like him to get it. It so suits him.

Gmoney
05-16-2011, 12:04 PM
I know this Guy..His Girlfriend stepped in and put him straight.."the Uke or Me" situation:rolleyes:

I like that woman, whoever she is! UncleE is back in the running!

byjimini
05-16-2011, 12:22 PM
That was me that rescinded the bid - I'm after a tenor (or was, as of half an hour ago), thought I'd put a max bid of 200 when in fact it was 250.

Good luck to whoever wins. :)

Gmoney
05-16-2011, 12:35 PM
That was me that rescinded the bid - I'm after a tenor (or was, as of half an hour ago), thought I'd put a max bid of 200 when in fact it was 250.

Good luck to whoever wins. :)

Sorry mate! But, keeping the girlfriend was probably a good idea ... but, a woman who comes between a man & his uke?? Might need to reconsider... :rolleyes:

mketom
05-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Now there's this crazy American guy bidding on it...

SweetWaterBlue
05-16-2011, 01:10 PM
The real bidders most likely have not shown their hands yet.

Gmoney
05-16-2011, 01:13 PM
The real bidders most likely have not shown their hands yet.

Nope - the "real bidders" are using a sniping service & just wait for the notification that they've won. I love it though, from Pallet to highest bid uke...

SweetWaterBlue
05-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Nope - the "real bidders" are using a sniping service & just wait for the notification that they've won. I love it though, from Pallet to highest bid uke...

Although I dearly love them when I am selling something on the Bay, I will never understand those that bid early and bid often. I agree with you Glenn, Mr Timm's pallet uke seems destined to set a well deserved record.

mketom
05-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Although I dearly love them when I am selling something on the Bay, I will never understand those that bid early and bid often.

I just saw the price go down and thought, if nobody bids it up, those last minute snipers get really good prices on stuff. I have enjoyed watching this build way too much to not see Ken get a great price for this. Even if it's from me... But I surely expect to lose this in the last few minutes. No matter how fast I type ahead, I seldom win auctions with competitive bids from Bid-Bots.

(no worries, I won't bid again. Didn't notice at first that I was at ebay.uk. Forgot about the $/Lb thing...)

SweetWaterBlue
05-16-2011, 02:29 PM
I just saw the price go down and thought, if nobody bids it up, those last minute snipers get really good prices on stuff. I have enjoyed watching this build way too much to not see Ken get a great price for this. Even if it's from me... But I surely expect to lose this in the last few minutes. No matter how fast I type ahead, I seldom win auctions with competitive bids from Bid-Bots.

I'm with you - I hope Ken gets a great price, and I know he will. Its hard to beat the bots though.

byjimini
05-17-2011, 07:54 AM
So glad it's above what I rescinded - I no longer feel guilty! :D

SweetWaterBlue
05-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Maybe we should start a betting pool on how much this will go for. Anyone want to bet 375?

Timbuck
05-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Now Sold..To a Guy in Germany :cool:

GrumpyCoyote
05-20-2011, 06:05 AM
Congrats! I was winning at 300 pounds all week and I went to bed winning with a couple hours left, thought I had it in the bag - never do that. Glad you got a great price for it. Happy to have given the bidding a bump for you at least.

I think you are onto something here, "recovered" wood and distressed details. I can promise you I'll give it another go if you make another. Wonderful uke.

UncleElvis
05-20-2011, 06:22 AM
I think you are onto something here, "recovered" wood and distressed details. I can promise you I'll give it another go if you make another. Wonderful uke.

Count me in, too!

And congrats, Timbuck. I hope whoever won it loves it as much as we all would have.

You done good, sir

tattwo
05-20-2011, 07:23 AM
almost $500 .......great price

SweetWaterBlue
05-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Not a bad price for some old pallet wood. As Pete H said in another thread, still not enough for what went into it, but still pretty amazing considering. Great job Ken.

70sSanO
05-20-2011, 10:13 AM
I had figured it would go for more, maybe closer to 400 pounds. My thought was to bid around 310 pounds because it would be more than the 300 pound threshold and see what would happen, not that that would have won, because there is no way to know the true max bid of the winner.

But after showing my wife the pics and video a few times, even on multiple days, and still not getting the nod, I decided to pass. At that point I was happy that the auction was ending while I was sleeping so I didn't have to watch it count down.

And at 305 pounds it is a good deal for a one-of-a-kind custom. Figure $1.70/pound and $100 shipping to the US. It comes out to around $620. I'd like to see someone show up at a luthier with a pallet and $600, ($20 to buy the pallet) and get anything close to what Ken did.

John

SweetWaterBlue
05-20-2011, 11:09 AM
But it still beat the last Padauk soprano and last mahogany Timms soprano sold on eBay. Since he didn't have to buy any wood (save for a few scraps) I'm guessing the margin was better on this one.

Timbuck
05-20-2011, 11:33 AM
As i havn't put a "Buy It Now Price" on my last few E-bay Ukes..I'm getting to know how much people are prepared to pay for e'm without forcing their hand with a BIN..I am retired:cool: and I don't do this for a living. So I don't really care what they sell for, as long as I make enough to cover costs..But I have noticed that they are going for less this year:confused: maybe it's the result of the "economic downturn" or maybe something else:confused: .....Anyway!..Last year I bought a Pallet load of Electric Motors that I intend using on future projects..The Motors cost about 110...the Pallet ended up as "The uke"....So I recon' I got the motors for Free:D...Well thats the way I look at it.

fitncrafty
05-20-2011, 11:52 AM
As i havn't put a "Buy It Now Price" on my last few E-bay Ukes..I'm getting to know how much people are prepared to pay for e'm without forcing their hand with a BIN..I am retired:cool: and I don't do this for a living. So I don't really care what they sell for, as long as I make enough to cover costs..But I have noticed that they are going for less this year:confused: maybe it's the result of the "economic downturn" or maybe something else:confused: .....Anyway!..Last year I bought a Pallet load of Electric Motors that I intend using on future projects..The Motors cost about 110...the Pallet ended up as "The uke"....So I recon' I got the motors for Free:D...Well thats the way I look at it.

That's awesome, you just never know where the turn around is huh? what are you going to do with the motors?