This is how I want to go

UKISOCIETY

Reaction score
There's no description on these videos except "Jack Playing Ukulele Apr.24.2011". But if I'm correct, this scene touches me to the core. I'm guessing that Grandpa Jack is on his deathbed and finds some solace in playing his ukulele for his family.

Even though I always thought I'd die in a naked cliff-diving accident, I'm hoping I'll go playing the uke.

Even though I always thought I'd die in a naked cliff-diving accident, I'm hoping I'll go playing the uke.

Thanks for the video Alan - very sweet!

And as far as your other comment - I don't see why you couldn't do both...a naked, ukulele-playing, cliff diving accident.

Thanks for the image, Uki. It's burned in my brain. It's not necessarily a good thing. :-)

That is cool. Brought back some cool memories of when I lost my Dad 3 years ago. Sad, but a beautiful thing. He laid on his death bed singing and jamming out to his favorite old gospel group "The Cathedrals". He passed with me, Mom and my sister by his side, as he pumped his arm in the air to The Cathedrals in his hospital bed. The way I would want to go too, (only because I don't cliff dive though.. ;))

Aloha Alan,
Looks like he is having so much fun with his uke and he still can tune it by ear real good.. and I say he played really nice...I like the little grass shack song, he did a great job...thanks for sharing.
Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Last edited:
This really moved me too....I hope when I go, I go playing my Uke!

If that was my grandfather, I'd call the local uke group to go in and do a strum along.

he video has me thinking.. .my father-in-law, who gave me my Harmony Uke, recently was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer, and while in the hospital 3 weeks ago, had a major stroke. The speech therapist who is working with him asked for lyrics to any of his favorite songs, because they will be easier for him to work with than any of the unfamiliar exercises.

I'm going out to San Jose in a month (hoping he lasts that long!) and bringing at least one uke with me. I'm going to be playing some of his old favorite western swing songs, old campground songs, Gospel music, and reading Robert Service poems to him daily, for as long as he can stand it and my voice holds out.

This video gives me real hope that even if he still can't speak, he'll be able to mouth the words and move along with me. If the songs and poems help him recover at all, then it will be great. If they simply give him pleasure, and help ease his pain, then I'll still be doing a mitzvah - helping him, and helping my mother-in-law at the same time.

And waiting for my wife to come join me while we take care of her folks. (and hoping my parents back here in NY don't need me at the same time.)

Thanks Alan. Lovely video mate. I was blessed to have a resident pass through our nursing home a couple of years back, who happened to be a gifted harmonic player. He had some very serious respitory issues and lasted only a couple of months, but in that time we had several jams, with myself playing the ukulele. he still had a glint in his eye whenever he picked up the harmonica. I'd just give him a key and start up the song, nod to him when it was time to take a lead and we had a ball. He could only really play a song at a time and would need 5 minutes or so to recuperate, but those times are vivid in my memory.

Top Bottom