First uke LANIKAI QUILT ASH SERIES?

MARCOVGV

Reaction score
Whats up guys im new to ukes and am looking to purchase my first.

I have narrowed it down to a tenor size. now for the money what is the best tenor i can buy?

so heres the lowdown

Under $500.00
Tenor size
Sreferably koa but open to suggestions
Must be solid wood no laminates.

I saw a lanikai LQA-TCA, but i cant find reviews on this uke. http://lanikaiukes.com/laniblog/ukuleles/quilt-ash-series/

help me out!

thanks so you think that given my budget of 500 mainland ukes are still a good option. Thats impressive. i will strongly consider mainland.. any other opinions?

Aloha Marco,
With that much, I'd rather get a used premimum kamaka or any K brands...Ko Aloha or Kanilea...you get a much better sounding and looking uke for the price...check the marketplace..
Good Luck...MM Stan

Aloha Marco,
With that much, I'd rather get a used premimum kamaka or any K brands...Ko Aloha or Kanilea...you get a much better sounding and looking uke for the price...check the marketplace..
Good Luck...MM Stan

I don't think I've seen many used K-brand tenors being sold for $500 or less. There was a Kamaka tenor being sold at the Marketplace for $800 and was snatched up very quickly.

At $500 or less for a tenor, Mainland and Ohana are probably as good as any. I think the Lanikais are well made (I have a concert zebrawood one), but probably don't sound as good as those mahogany Mainlands and Ohanas.

I was just offered a Kamaka gold label (no usa on the label) Baritone. it is in fantastic shape but the guy want 700.00 i think i can get it for 600.00.... what do you think?

i am not sure about the baritone ssize as i wanted a tenor... but then again ive never owned any uke so learning to play is learnoing to play.. i play guitar but thats a dif story.

thanks so you think that given my budget of 500 mainland ukes are still a good option. Thats impressive. i will strongly consider mainland.. any other opinions?

Sailor Brand Uke from Uke Republic! Another Mike that is awesome to deal with. (Tell him I sent you :))

Baritones are generally tuned differently. Ukuleles are typically tuned so the strings are (from top to bottom) G, C, E, and A. Baritones are typically strung D, G, B, and E (the same as the bottom four strings of a guitar). You can string a baritone G, C, E, A, but you have tio buy strings made for that purpose. You should also play one before buying it to see if you're comfortable with the larger size. That said, if you do want a baritone, $600 for a Kamaka in "fantastic shape" sounds like a good deal.

Last edited:
Feel adventuresome, check out this Philippino Koa Tenor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Don't want to compromise, but stay within your budget, check ebay for Mele tenor, Solid koa top and solid mahogany sides and back. Soundwise, perhaps the best of both worlds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MELE-HANDMADE-D...860?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48381045d4

The cheapest way to get an all Koa tenor uke brand new is the Cordoba 25TK solid koa. May need to upgrade nut/saddle, eventually tuners maybe, but it's solid koa for around $300

Last edited:
i think ill put the baritone kamaka on the back burner, id really like a tenor for my first uke.

Here is a shameless plug. I'm selling a Bluegrass Ukuleles (built by Tom Guy in Louisville, Ky) all solid flamed walnut back and sides/cedar top tenor ukulele in your price range on the UU Marketplace.

It is a very nice instrument.

Top Bottom