Really loud ukes?

felip

Reaction score
Hello!

Although of course good tone is extremely important in a ukulele, volume is very important for me. I use to play with friends for fun and I need to be listened over Spanish guitars, lutes and some other local and very loud instruments.

I'd like to ask you about which soprano ukes have you played which were really loud. I've readed that the paulele is one of this.

Thanks you very much in advance.

The Kiwayas have very good projection. Check out the KTS-4. I suppose you could also check out their laminate KS series.

Ohana Vita Uke. (Non-traditional concert size body with soprano neck model)

You'll play hell finding a louder soprano than my pre-war Martin "O" with Aquila strings on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems to me like most banjo ukes are pretty darn loud... Not sure if it would keep up with a Martin dreadnaught guitar but might. Another option is a uke with a pickup and one of those tiny lightweight battery operated amps like the Honeytone or Marshal micro stack.

John

Seems to me like most banjo ukes are pretty darn loud... Not sure if it would keep up with a Martin dreadnaught guitar but might. Another option is a uke with a pickup and one of those tiny lightweight battery operated amps like the Honeytone or Marshal micro stack.

John

Hey OldPhart, isn't there a uke with the speaker/amp built right into the body of the uke?

My loudest uke is an Ohana concert Cedar top w/ rosewood back and sides w/Aquilas. Minimal bracing.
Strum on.
Alan

I heard KoAloha ukes were loud. i think more members can tell you more though. haha. :D

I think my Fluke is a touch louder than my Kala Cedar top, but they both have a decent amount of volume.

If I need louder, the Fluke has a b-band pickup and preamp, and I can plug in.

-Kurt

My Martin SO is the loudest of all my ukes , except the banjo ukes.

You'll play hell finding a louder soprano than my pre-war Martin "O" with Aquila strings on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, this is true. You really can't get much more volume than this combination.

The loudest ukulele I have is a concert-sized Ohana CK-70 (maple back and sides, spruce top. That combination is hard to beat-- with the exception of the previously mentioned vintage Martin with Aquilas. In KOA ukes, KoAloha ukes win hands down. They are also superb quality and the company is run by one of the nicest families of folks on the planet.

I find the little Ohana sopranos to be quite loud. I had an SK-70 with rosewood solid back and sides and spruce top. It was very loud, but not really as loud as my solid mahogany SK-35G. I have played the Ohana Vita-Uke as well, and it is even louder, if you like the way it looks. I have never played a Martin, except an SO, so I can't really compare to that. When I really want loud I play my spruce topped tenor.

Top Bottom