PDA

View Full Version : Really loud ukes?

felip
05-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Hello!

Although of course good tone is extremely important in a ukulele, volume is very important for me. I use to play with friends for fun and I need to be listened over Spanish guitars, lutes and some other local and very loud instruments.

I'd like to ask you about which soprano ukes have you played which were really loud. I've readed that the paulele is one of this.

Thanks you very much in advance.

EDW
05-13-2011, 11:05 AM
The Kiwayas have very good projection. Check out the KTS-4. I suppose you could also check out their laminate KS series.

fabioponta
05-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Ohana Vita Uke. (Non-traditional concert size body with soprano neck model)

PhilUSAFRet
05-13-2011, 12:02 PM
You'll play hell finding a louder soprano than my pre-war Martin "O" with Aquila strings on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OldePhart
05-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Seems to me like most banjo ukes are pretty darn loud... Not sure if it would keep up with a Martin dreadnaught guitar but might. Another option is a uke with a pickup and one of those tiny lightweight battery operated amps like the Honeytone or Marshal micro stack.

John

PhilUSAFRet
05-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Seems to me like most banjo ukes are pretty darn loud... Not sure if it would keep up with a Martin dreadnaught guitar but might. Another option is a uke with a pickup and one of those tiny lightweight battery operated amps like the Honeytone or Marshal micro stack.

John

Hey OldPhart, isn't there a uke with the speaker/amp built right into the body of the uke?

OldePhart
05-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Hey OldPhart, isn't there a uke with the speaker/amp built right into the body of the uke?

Hmmm, not sure. I know there are some electric guitars like that, not sure if anybody is doing ukes.

fitncrafty
05-13-2011, 12:34 PM
My luna concert floral is LOUD! Really Loud.. it has electrics but I doubt I will EVER need to use them..

localmana
05-13-2011, 12:39 PM
My loudest uke is an Ohana concert Cedar top w/ rosewood back and sides w/Aquilas. Minimal bracing.
Strum on.
Alan

Kem
05-13-2011, 12:51 PM
My loudest uke is a soprano made by Vic_D; it's got a spruce top and an ambrosia maple body. It leaves my concert and both tenors in the dust as far as volume is concerned. I doubt even my banjo uke could overwhelm it.

hungry4adobo
05-13-2011, 01:13 PM
I heard KoAloha ukes were loud. i think more members can tell you more though. haha. :D

ksiegel
05-13-2011, 01:42 PM
I think my Fluke is a touch louder than my Kala Cedar top, but they both have a decent amount of volume.

If I need louder, the Fluke has a b-band pickup and preamp, and I can plug in.

-Kurt

felip
05-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks you, I'll start googling for them.

iDavid
05-14-2011, 12:18 AM
KoAloha Pikake Concert
Compass Rose Tenor
Kanilea Tenor Satin finish

I have them all, and they are all very loud

or Mya-Moe resonator (on my really short list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXP9xzan8U4

Ukuleleblues
05-14-2011, 02:14 AM
If you want to be lound a Banjo uke is hands down the loudest. My loudest ukes are the old harmony solid mahogany ukes (not the ones with plastic fret boards).

Lexxy
05-14-2011, 02:19 AM
Try a Spruce top with solid maple back and sides. I think they give the loudest tone.

Pukulele Pete
05-14-2011, 02:25 AM
My Martin SO is the loudest of all my ukes , except the banjo ukes.

Pippin
05-14-2011, 04:51 AM
You'll play hell finding a louder soprano than my pre-war Martin "O" with Aquila strings on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, this is true. You really can't get much more volume than this combination.

Pippin
05-14-2011, 04:54 AM
The loudest ukulele I have is a concert-sized Ohana CK-70 (maple back and sides, spruce top. That combination is hard to beat-- with the exception of the previously mentioned vintage Martin with Aquilas. In KOA ukes, KoAloha ukes win hands down. They are also superb quality and the company is run by one of the nicest families of folks on the planet.

SweetWaterBlue
05-14-2011, 05:02 AM
I find the little Ohana sopranos to be quite loud. I had an SK-70 with rosewood solid back and sides and spruce top. It was very loud, but not really as loud as my solid mahogany SK-35G. I have played the Ohana Vita-Uke as well, and it is even louder, if you like the way it looks. I have never played a Martin, except an SO, so I can't really compare to that. When I really want loud I play my spruce topped tenor.

Rockabilly
05-14-2011, 05:19 AM
Koalohas are loud..banjo ukes are loud too.

Ingrate
05-14-2011, 05:40 AM
Any Eleuke with an amp. Not very costly, either.

Vic D
05-20-2011, 10:15 AM
My loudest uke is a soprano made by Vic_D; it's got a spruce top and an ambrosia maple body. It leaves my concert and both tenors in the dust as far as volume is concerned. I doubt even my banjo uke could overwhelm it.

Well I'm really glad you like it, Kem. And Thanks for the kind words. I've got a '30s harmony "tenor" that's really a concert that beat it by a pinch for volume though. I'll be copying the Harmony for my concerts, well, something between the Harmony and a Martin... love the Martin sound.
If someone is looking for a sweet sounding loud soprano on a budget one might check out the older Harmony ukes that come up for a steal quite often.

Nickie
05-20-2011, 05:27 PM
My daughter's Luna Concert turtle uke is the loudest acoustic ukulele I've ever heard. but then, it's not a soprano... I've never heard a loud soprano.