Good Place In Northern NJ To Get A Uke Setup?

Clobbersaurus

Reaction score
Wasn't sure which board to ask this on, so if it is in the wrong place please change it and my apologies.

Anyone know a good, reputable, & reliable place in Northern NJ to get a uke setup? Just bought my first uke, a Kala ASAC-C, and I'm not ready to set everything up on my own yet since I know nothing about how to do it. So I'm looking for a good place in Northern NJ. Any suggestions? Thanks.

-Jesse

if you're anywhere near teaneck, perhaps give lark street music a shot... i know they carry some high end vintage stuff and are a certified martin repair center. they should be able to take care of you. what specifically do you dislike about how your kala plays? i have an entry level kala that was set up quite nice from the factory.

if you're anywhere near teaneck, perhaps give lark street music a shot... i know they carry some high end vintage stuff and are a certified martin repair center. they should be able to take care of you. what specifically do you dislike about how your kala plays? i have an entry level kala that was set up quite nice from the factory.

I'm not near Teaneck, but I know whereabouts it is.

There is nothing I dislike. It's that this is not only my first ukulele, but I don't even know how to play. So I'd rather have someone set it up for me as it should be so I can learn from there, rather than do it myself and possibly learn the wrong way. Hope that makes sense.

wow, congrats on your first uke... that's quite a nice purchase! to my non-discerning ear, the intonation on kalas out-of-the-box is pretty decent and the action/string height is totally acceptable to me. the thing that tends to bother me most is if there are any protruding fret ends (especially around the 12th fret or so). i have no qualms about taking a revlon file to a sharp fret end, but that's probably frowned upon by others. whereabout in north jersey are you located? mandolin brothers across the bridge in staten island is another nice shop where i imagine they know would know how to set up a uke. btw, if you're closer to central jersey, please feel welcome to join our newly formed uke ensemble (link in my signature). we haven't had a meetup yet... hopefully soon.

wow, congrats on your first uke... that's quite a nice purchase! to my non-discerning ear, the intonation on kalas out-of-the-box is pretty decent and the action/string height is totally acceptable to me. the thing that tends to bother me most is if there are any protruding fret ends (especially around the 12th fret or so). i have no qualms about taking a revlon file to a sharp fret end, but that's probably frowned upon by others. whereabout in north jersey are you located? mandolin brothers across the bridge in staten island is another nice shop where i imagine they know would know how to set up a uke. btw, if you're closer to central jersey, please feel welcome to join our newly formed uke ensemble (link in my signature). we haven't had a meetup yet... hopefully soon.

Thanks. I was lucky to get it for the price I did, I think. I've heard people say to set it up then wait for it to loosen up, especially with the Kala's. See, another reason I want to know how it is supposed to sound before I start.

I'm in Sparta. About an hour away from The Meadowlands. It would take me quite a while to get down by you all, unfortunately.

Top Bottom