anyone play a charango ?

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
I've been wondering about these instuments. Does anyone here play one? Is it a pain to tune? Does it use steel strings or can you use nylon? Looks like it might be a fun instument. I wonder if there is a charango underground ? I'll have to do more research. Thanks for any help.

If I could ever find and afford one made from an real Armadillo, I sure would learn. I been wanting one of those ever since I seen one.. Cool instruments...

I have one made from all wood. It is nylon strings and it is not bad to tune. It is tuned in pairs G C E A E, with the middle E in octaves. Beautiful full sound, bt very precious few learning resources in English. I would love to play like "Charango Ninja" on YouTube, but I am worse on Charango than I am on the Uke.

I have one from Potosí, Bolívia, with an armadillo on the back of carved yellow wood.
I think quite hard to play, even if the pitch looks like a ukulele. The neck is wide, and the strings are always made ​​of nylon, specific charangos.

Fabioponta is right. The Charango is exceedingly difficult to play. I do not enjoy it as much as my Ukes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom