Back in production

Timbuck

Reaction score
I'm building a batch of soprano's next 12 in total 4 style O...4 style 1...and 4 style 2.
so I started with this...Guess what it's going to be:D
drilled.jpg

a stand-up double bass... -ulele!

No..No and No!..it's this device I pinched from "Taylor guitars";) it's to speed up side bending....Usually I leave the sides in the bender until they are cold to eliminate springback..Now I take them out still hot and put them in this "jig former thingy" to hold them in shape... while I put another pair of sides in the still hot bender..I bent seven side sets with this method in 1 1/2 hours .
IT HOLDS SIX SIDE SETS
inuse.jpg

FULL HOUSE
PICT0007-1.jpg

That's cool too, I suppose.

But, seriously, you're stepping up production Ken. Good for you! Your ukes are beautiful and I hope to have the pleasure of playing one someday.

Can't wait to see your style 2 models.

Aw ...Man...
That is just too cool....way too cool..
It really makes my day...haha.
Thanks for sharing.

That's cool too, I suppose.

But, seriously, you're stepping up production Ken. Good for you! Your ukes are beautiful and I hope to have the pleasure of playing one someday.

Can't wait to see your style 2 models.

I'm hoping it will look something like this one....Too many "cools" for me:confused:..are they short of "adjectives" in the US :D
style2uke.jpg

Last edited:
One of those is mine - I am going to have to own one of these beauties when they are done!

I'm hoping it will look something like this one....Too many "cools" for me:confused:..are they short of "adjectives" in the US :D
style2uke.jpg

It's the economy, Ken. Talk isn't really cheap like the saying goes.

How about badass? Your new contraption is definitely badass.

Clever. If i wore socks I'd use it to hang my socks on to dry. I don't know why you just don't slam the sides in the molds when they're still warm. That's what I do when I bend 8 sides in a couple of hours and you're ensured of a perfect fit.

Clever. If i wore socks I'd use it to hang my socks on to dry. I don't know why you just don't slam the sides in the molds when they're still warm. That's what I do when I bend 8 sides in a couple of hours and you're ensured of a perfect fit.
I only have one mold... as for this device "the Wife" thinks it's a shoe rack or something like that..And i'll "up" your "8 sides per 2 hours" ..and I'll do 10 sides in 1 hour:rolleyes:....I'll most likely have to redo them at a later stage tho' :eek:

They remind me of the cooling form that DaveG uses in one of his hot pipe side bending videos, except I think he only sets them up to hold one set of sides at a time, and the form only has one flat side with the pegs sticking straight up. You have a regular ukulele factory going on with yours.

I had a similar device in mind but in mine the sides would be stacked vertically with divider plates in between each run of four or so sets. This is a simpler and better solution.

Cool... :p

Top Bottom