Vintage Kamaka Pineapple

kim009

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a vintage Kamaka Pineapple that has a silver painted cast brass pineapple charm attached to the headstock in the middle of the old Kamaka emblem? It has a blue label inside and reads:KAMAKA / SPECIAL / PINEAPPLE / UKULELE" at top, on left side it reads "HAWAII'S / FINEST / UKULELE," on the right side is "PAT. JAN. 3., 1928 / No. 74178 / Strictly / Handmade By / S.K. KAMAKA," at bottom of label is "MADE IN / HONOLULU / HAWAII,". Does anyone know if the little silver pineapple is original or added on?

Thinking of purchasing..................

Haven't seen one like that, but a blue label Kamaka doesn't come up for sale too often. Looks in really good shape as well.

Yes, that's the one. Do you know anything about it?

The market is crazy right now! Here's a 1975-80 Pineapple that right now is listing at $812! The one you are looking at is surely more collectible/valuable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320696213248

If I had the $$ & looking for a collectible Kamaka, the Elderly listing would be the one - at least for me & I have a vintage Kamaka pineapple, though it is currently at Kamaka getting a few cracks fixed.

I played that actually ukulele when I was at Elderly last November. I didn't care for it. If you mean do I know anything about the history of this particular type of Kamaka, then no, sorry I don't. But if Elderly is listing one, then I would assume that the silver pineapple is original, or they would say otherwise.

Aloha Kim009,
It looks like in great condition...wonder if it was refinished because I don't see a pineapple on the soundboard... ok some didn't have any ....I'm worried as it is good condition and it's al early model...the early ones were a hit or miss...as they were still fine tuning them....Does that one have the fretboard flat level with the soundboard...I would be very careful and if possible play
it first to see how it sounds.I played an early one too and it sounded kinda hollow sounding..not saying they all were, just the one I played...my thoughts are on the condition and why it wasn't played as much..did the owner buy it as a souvenier and didn't know how to play...or it had some issue with sound?? or was it just refinsihed.. the neck hasn't too much wear too..never can tell or know...until I have it in my hands....buyer beware...Look nice and so does the price?? Why?? Good Luck...MM Stan just noticed the back is extended to the bottom of the heel too...:)

Last edited:
I can tell you that if you need advice on vintage kamakas, mm stan is the guy here to listen to. He gave me great advice when I found a roughed up gold label at a garage sale. Ended up sending it to Kamaka for repairs, and they did a brilliant job with it.

Top Bottom