Want a custom tenor made . luthier recommendation?

MARCOVGV

Reaction score
I just sent Bluegrass ukuleles and Lorpinzi an email requesting a quote on a tenor ukulele made with this wood i bought a couple of years ago. it is a master grade curly koa set bought from notable woods. it really is an amazing koa set and would be special for me to have a teor uke made from it.

please recommend other luthiers that come to mind! this should be a fun build !

thanks !
koawood.jpg

Check out THIS THREAD over in the Luthier's Lounge - a partial list of custom builders. It gives you links to their websites (if they have one) and email addresses.

For me, Brad Donaldson (Bradford here on UU) is ramping up to build my custom super soprano and I can't wait!

Check out THIS THREAD over in the Luthier's Lounge - a partial list of custom builders. It gives you links to their websites (if they have one) and email addresses.

For me, Brad Donaldson (Bradford here on UU) is ramping up to build my custom super soprano and I can't wait!

Thanks brother ur the man!

Some luthiers won't touch "customer purchased wood" even if from a source like "Notable Woods". Questions you are likely to hear are:

Since you've had it for two years, how has it been stored since?
What Relative humidity has it been stored under?
Who has the liability if during construction something unexpected happens to your wood? Say a split during side bending or unexpected separation on top or back pieces?

W/the two luthiers you've already chosen, you probably have a good start anyway. IANAL (I am not a Luthier!), nor do I play one on TV, but there's a thread from some time ago where a couple of well known luthiers here on UU voiced similar concerns w/accepting customer supplied wood.

this set was back and sides. i was undecided as to the top wood. i was going to go with a spruce or sinker redwood originally on the steel string build.

I put my vote up for a redwood top. Koa and redwood is a beautiful combo.

bluegrass replied, they dont take special build orders , but he will buy the wood off me and give me first dibs on the ukulele once its built. this might be an option. only thing is what happens if they dont build it or when will it be built? this wood is special to me as my father gave it to me as a special gift. I have worked hard storing it at the correct temp and humidity for years.

Last edited:
Bradford Donaldson. No question.

bluegrass replied, they dont take special build orders , but he will buy the wood off me and give me first dibs on the ukulele once its built. this might be an option. only thing is what happens if they dont build it or when will it be built? this wood is special to me as my father gave it to me as a special gift. I have worked hard storing it at the correct temp and humidity for years.

I wouldn't do that at all. If the wood is special to you, you should try to get a uke built to your specifications.

I'd keep looking for a reputable luthier who would use your wood to build a ukulele to your specs. Perhaps see if a luthier would agree to at least evaluate your wood set to see if he is willing to use it in a build. Perhaps check with Kevin Crossett of Kepasa Ukulele. I know he has built ukes using customer supplied wood before.

I also encourage you to check with Bradford Donaldson. He built one of my pineapples and it is an amazing uke. Give him a shout.

Donaldson it is... i am looking for a good source of sinker redwood, any recommendations?

What wood would you use for the binding? that would go well with the sinker redwood and figured koa.

When I had my custom pineapple made by Mike Pereira, www.mpukuleles.com, he was willing to use wood that I had wanted to source. His only concern was bending, as he would have trouble providing substitutes for rare, but occasional, breakages. In the end, I opted for zebrawood, which he could provide locally anyway.

He is also very flexible with other build options, and his prices are quite low. Most importantly, it's a great instrument.

Redwood is also his favourite topwood, so you might chase him up for some advice on sinker.

Top Bottom