PDA

View Full Version : What Ukulele are you currently playing?

rayan
12-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Hey guys I was wondering what ukulele you're currently playing and you're opinion of it. I need to buy a new uke sometime next year.

Thanks for the help :D

BEE
12-02-2007, 05:41 PM
I have the Kala KA_KTE. I love it so far till I can afford something nicer :D

Terrell
12-02-2007, 06:11 PM
I have the Kala KA_KTE. I love it so far till I can afford something nicer :D

yep, same here. it's a great starter uke or if you're po' like me. cuz i dump all my money into my 240sx^_^ hehe

rayan
12-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Wow you guys are ballin! That uke costs $455! I remember Kamakas costed that much when I was in high school. How much does a Kamaka cost these days?

NukeDOC
12-02-2007, 07:02 PM
my main uke is a leolani zebrawood 4 string tenor. got a great deal on it too. got it for $170 with a hard case and wack cord. next day saw the same uke at a shop in waikiki for $295 no case. the flea market is da best! haha

the one i take to work with me is a hilo baritone that i restrung and tuned to gCEA. i practice on that during the slow times at work. restringing and tuning like that isnt sacriligeous is it?

still waiting on my lanikai o-6 tenor. should be here by friday.

CenizaT&K-01
12-02-2007, 08:10 PM
i use as you can tell by my screen name a Ceniza by T&K...i absolutely love it...cost a bit...but i think well worth it...its completely Koa Wood even the Fret board...

rayan
12-02-2007, 08:17 PM
i use as you can tell by my screen name a Ceniza by T&K...i absolutely love it...cost a bit...but i think well worth it...its completely Koa Wood even the Fret board...

Sounds interesting. Never heard of that brand. Do they have a website? Are they based in Hawaii?

kyle
12-02-2007, 08:23 PM
right now im playing a koaloha concert. i like everything except there's some rattles in the tuner pegs sometimes. i want a tenor thouhg.. haha

CenizaT&K-01
12-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Sounds interesting. Never heard of that brand. Do they have a website? Are they based in Hawaii?

they are based in Hawai'i, and unfortunately they do not have a website. I got mine from the Ukulele House when i was back in Hawai'i a few months back.

deadeye
12-02-2007, 10:02 PM
i have a lanikai lu-21 tenor the "black pearl" one.

CenizaT&K-01
12-03-2007, 07:11 AM
i have a lanikai lu-21 tenor the "black pearl" one.

hey bruddah how do you like that one? i am looking for a Tenor right now to hold me off till i get the Kanile'a or the Kamaka, and my buddy is also looking for one so i told him to look at a tenor so i can use it :D haha

BUGOY
12-03-2007, 12:40 PM
i have a Sunlite Tenor (ya, i said sunlite..haha). natural finish. it was an early xmas gift from my brother. its pretty freakin awesome at a $60 price tag! :p just waiting to restring it with aquilas to see if the sound actually improves.

Aldrine Guerrero
12-03-2007, 04:53 PM
I currently play on a Kamaka Tenor.

I also have a Lumanog custom super concert and a Tenor Applause.

I'm in love with all of them :D

NukeDOC
12-03-2007, 04:59 PM
aldrine how the heck did you get your hands on a lumanog? did you have to go to the philippines to have it made? please fill me in on the details. i may be going home in february, but its still up in the air. but if i do, and i have a chance to get one while there, that would be talagang crazy!

Aldrine Guerrero
12-03-2007, 05:31 PM
aldrine how the heck did you get your hands on a lumanog? did you have to go to the philippines to have it made? please fill me in on the details. i may be going home in february, but its still up in the air. but if i do, and i have a chance to get one while there, that would be talagang crazy!

There's lots of Lumanog companies in PI. There's a guy named "Emilio Lumanog" who used to make guitars for Cebu guitars before making his own Lumanog brand. I was looking for someone who can make an ukulele for me for cheap, and this guy made wonderful guitars so I asked him if he could make an ukulele. He just made them for fun but after hearing me play he wanted to do a serious take on one. Since then he's made me two; a tenor and a super concert. The first tenor was a trial attempt and he used mahogany for the wood. After getting used to it, he used Langka for the main body and Nara for the headstock and fretboard.

Langka is an awesome wood to use for guitars so he was curious on how it would sound if he made a uke with it.

I have just one of them now, the langka one. The tenor I sold to a friend of mine who refuses to sell it back... :(

You can see and hear that uke on my vid "I'll be here a while" and "Loud phrases from the quiet type"

NukeDOC
12-03-2007, 05:48 PM
holy moly, thats exactly what im looking for! but a tenor. sorry about all the questions. but i think im in love! hahaha.

ok, how much did it cost you? and is there any way i can order one from here? i dont live anywhere near cebu. im in luzon... cavite to be exact. so a trip to visayas would just not be cost effective.

if i find a way to get in contact with emilio, do you mind if i name drop you to get down with one of those?

Landon
12-03-2007, 06:32 PM
3 Kamakas. 8 string and two tenors one with a pickup, the other is my favorite. a 24 year old 4 string Tenor. i want to get an applause Tenor w/cut away/pickup but that cost a lot and i dont want to sell any of my ukulele's.

CenizaT&K-01
12-04-2007, 06:43 AM
3 Kamakas. 8 string and two tenors one with a pickup, the other is my favorite. a 24 year old 4 string Tenor. i want to get an applause Tenor w/cut away/pickup but that cost a lot and i dont want to sell any of my ukulele's.

haha i was just going to ask you if you thought about selling one of your kamaka tenors...hehe oh wells...worth a shot!!!

ibcruzn
12-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I am currently playing a Custom curly Koa tenor Kamaka. It has the Fishman Matrix electric pickup installed. I am also playing a tenor Sound Monster made by Kanilea with a Dean Markley Pickup. They both have incredible sounds

deadeye
12-05-2007, 11:31 AM
hey bruddah how do you like that one? i am looking for a Tenor right now to hold me off till i get the Kanile'a or the Kamaka, and my buddy is also looking for one so i told him to look at a tenor so i can use it :D haha

its alright for the money, but the tone isnt that...pleasant.

CenizaT&K-01
12-05-2007, 01:40 PM
its alright for the money, but the tone isnt that...pleasant.

thank you bruddah, i actually got a chance today to try some out some Lanikai's and some Kamaka's and Kanile'a's. I was tempted like i said to buy the Lanikai tenor w/ pick up its 400 dollars but the place i check them out at always has Lanikai's 20% off so i was like hmmmm....but i dont know!!! i am so undecided right now on what to do.

tripl3thr33
12-05-2007, 02:03 PM
i have a kala KA-KTE-C. its a cutaway tenor with a shadow pickup. cost me $300. dont really like the sound of the uke going through the pickup tho.... thinking about getting another uke tho hehe

Danyo Cummings
12-06-2007, 12:07 AM
mahogany Applause Tenor

E-Lo Roberts
12-09-2007, 07:18 AM
I play a G-String Tenor Uke (high g). I recieved it as a surprise B-day present in August. The overall construction is very well made. However, there were (are) a few problems with this uke. 1. Although it is brand-new there are a some dead spots on the neck. 2. More distrubing was the intonation for what is suppose to be a "professional" grade instrument. It was flat as you moved up the neck on all strings. This was not a "get a new set of strings" issue. The bridge (from the factory) was not placed in it's correct and exact position on the body. To correct and compensate for this problem I had to re-set the saddle 1/8" closer to the neck. This involved re-routing a new slot (for the saddle) and filling the old slot with a slice of rosewood. Not fun, but it solved the intonation problems. In the future, my uke's will be played first before any purchase is made. I am very curious about a new Kamaka tenor. Anyone having any intonation problems with Kamaka's?? Thanks, Ernie..

grappler
12-09-2007, 07:22 PM
mahalo tenor.
Its not the best, but im still managing with it.
Planning to custom build my own.
:):D

NukeDOC
12-09-2007, 08:36 PM
so i got my lanikai 6 string. very nice. it came strung with GHS strings in g-cC-E-aA. i swapped out the main strings with some aquilas and kept the A strings in the same octave so its now g-cC-E-aa. made it better for plucking. i love how it sounds when it is strummed. the only problem i have is that the E string loses almost all sustain when played depressed at the 5th fret. any idea what i can do to alleviate that? everywhere else i pluck it sounds fine. just right there it sounds dead. i still plays, it just doesnt sustain nearly as long as any other strings played at any other fret. overall im happy with it. its a great instrument at an awesome price. cant wait to install a pickup though.

mhancoc7
12-09-2007, 09:01 PM
I am brand new to the Uke. I purchased my first and current Uke while on vacation in Hawaii. It is a Kala KA-S. I got it for about $60 bucks. It was billed as a student Uke so I figured it was the perfect choice for me. I was right. It has a very nice sound and the price was right.

I hope to get a nicer one in the future, but until I can really jam on this one I am very happy.

Thanks, Jereme

E-Lo Roberts
12-10-2007, 02:55 AM
the only problem i have is that the E string loses almost all sustain when played depressed at the 5th fret. any idea what i can do to alleviate that? everywhere else i pluck it sounds fine. just right there it sounds dead. i still plays, it just doesnt sustain nearly as long as any other strings played at any other fret.

I got the same problem with my $900.00 G-String tenor, but on the C string at the 5th fret. My only theory on this is that this is where all the harmonic vibrations meet on the guitar and therefore cancel themselves out...Don't know really though. Anyone else want to check their uke at the 5th fret to verify or dismissed any dead spot problem?? I'm curious to know... thanks, e-lo...

Liam
12-10-2007, 12:24 PM
I have a Bruko/Brueko, I don't think they're that big but it's a nice instrument. I just got myself a left handed electric Kala though so hopefully that will sound nice!

FunkyPeaNutZ
12-10-2007, 05:30 PM
I have a Lanikai CK-T, 4 string tenor with aquila strings, was very happy with it. But on an impulse buy, I was going to order a kamaka and have it shipped. But on their website, I found an authorized dealer that was local to me, they had one 4 string tenor left, it cost me about 940ish bucks, but saved on the shipping, and the anxiety of having to wait for my new baby. I didn't want to have to peak out the window every time I thought I heard a UPS truck driving by. That would've been the most painful. I restrung it with some aquila's also. The sound of it is so much deeper and brighter than the Lanikai, but then that's probably why it's so expensive.

The music shop had some lanikai's, and pono's for about 250 bucks, not much selection, but I got what I wanted.

CenizaT&K-01
12-10-2007, 06:20 PM
I have a Lanikai CK-T, 4 string tenor with aquila strings, was very happy with it. But on an impulse buy, I was going to order a kamaka and have it shipped. But on their website, I found an authorized dealer that was local to me, they had one 4 string tenor left, it cost me about 940ish bucks, but saved on the shipping, and the anxiety of having to wait for my new baby. I didn't want to have to peak out the window every time I thought I heard a UPS truck driving by. That would've been the most painful. I restrung it with some aquila's also. The sound of it is so much deeper and brighter than the Lanikai, but then that's probably why it's so expensive.

The music shop had some lanikai's, and pono's for about 250 bucks, not much selection, but I got what I wanted.

where you go?

titoboy5
12-11-2007, 11:55 AM
i gots a applause but still battling out 4 a kamaka like jake or that kanalea dat i saw at da last uke fest. but like all things it aint getin cheaper!

FunkyPeaNutZ
12-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Hey Ceniza, here's the info you wanted on that music shop.

Alley Kat Sheet Music Center
9203 Valley View St.,
Cypress, CA 90630
(714) 229-8528
www.alleykatsheetmusic.com

uber_goober
12-12-2007, 06:45 AM
I pretty much give equal time to my KoAloha concert, longneck pineapple, and a locally made cherry wood soprano. Though if I had to pick just one, the concert is accompany to Friday's gig.

jkalaheo_boy
12-14-2007, 07:44 PM
i gots a mele ukulele bought it in maui. its a pretty sweet 4 string tenor w/ a low c. its made of spruce, mohagany, and koa. got a cutaway and pearl inlay! that was my high school grad present to myself. if ever in maui u guys should check it out, and ask if PETER is there...that guys rips...old school!

BUGOY
12-15-2007, 05:26 AM
can u guys post a picture of your ukes? you guys have awesome descriptions but i feel like im getting teased not actually seeing it..haha! :D

Fred Miu
12-15-2007, 07:08 AM
i have a Leolani ukulele i got from hawaii during the summer. before that i was playing an Oscar Schmidt soprano.

but none the less, here is my beautiful Tenor:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/NinjAttaK/ukulele.jpg

if you look closely, it's autographed by Jake Shimabukuro :D

NukeDOC
12-15-2007, 07:53 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/pEsCaDoR/ukes.jpg

leolani tenor on left
lanikai tenor 6 string on right

Fred Miu
12-15-2007, 08:48 AM
wow Nuke, those are nice.

where did you get your straps? and where do you strap them to?

NukeDOC
12-15-2007, 08:58 AM
the strap on the left was a $4 one that i got from musiciansfriend.com. but i dont think they have any more. i was looking to get another one or two and couldnt find them.

the strap on the right, i got here at my local guitar center. nice strap. very comfy. but heavy. has a little pocket to hold your pick (you can kinda see it in the pic... its yellow). that one was $22. but i couldnt pass it up considering the print hehehe.

i installed strap buttons on all my ukes. the forward button is attached to the lower part of the neck heel. i basically got the idea of how to do it here:
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/strapbuttons.htm
there are other sites that will show you how to do it also. just google "strap button installation"

Fred Miu
12-15-2007, 09:02 AM
thank bro. =)

IllaIllaKilla
12-18-2007, 08:09 AM
well since im kinda late on the subject, i currently playing on a Fluke pineapple. but i also have a standard lani kai, and a Kamaka,
and a couple of ukes i got as gifts from the ABC's stores, lol.

JumpingPulgas
12-19-2007, 07:54 AM
I have a Lanikai CK-TEQ that I bought for $239 from MusicGuyMic on ebay. It came with a case, a chord book, free setup, worth strings, spare aquila strings and free shipping:D Mike is awesome! The uke is awesome as well! I can't put it down. I want to play it all day:D

http://photos.friendster.com/photos/26/01/7781062/1_104628578l.jpg

NukeDOC
12-19-2007, 08:07 AM
I have a Lanikai CK-TEQ that I bought for $239 from MusicGuyMic on ebay. It came with a case, a chord book, free setup, worth strings, spare aquila strings and free shipping:D Mike is awesome! The uke is awesome as well! I can't put it down. I want to play it all day:D

http://photos.friendster.com/photos/26/01/7781062/1_104628578l.jpg

yah bro, mike is coooool! thats who i ordered my kala KA K6E from. all the goodies and still $50 less than anywhere i could find on the interwebs. still waiting for it to get here. i believe it shipped out two days ago. how long did it take for yours to get to you?

JumpingPulgas
12-19-2007, 08:49 AM
I ordered my uke from Mike at the Ukelele Festival in Cerritos back in October, so I had to wait a couple of days more till he got back to Kaneohe to ship my uke. But once he shipped it, I got it fairly quickly. You can always send him an email for an update.

CenizaT&K-01
12-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Hey Ceniza, here's the info you wanted on that music shop.

Alley Kat Sheet Music Center
9203 Valley View St.,
Cypress, CA 90630
(714) 229-8528
www.alleykatsheetmusic.com

Thanks bruddah!

you should try Island Legends in Gardena, CA if you have the chance, awesome place....Kamaka's, Lanikai's, Pono's, Kanile'a's...

Iain
12-22-2007, 02:08 AM
Lanikai LU-21 with 12 frets :)

FunkyPeaNutZ
12-22-2007, 03:42 AM
Thanks bruddah!

you should try Island Legends in Gardena, CA if you have the chance, awesome place....Kamaka's, Lanikai's, Pono's, Kanile'a's...

Ceniza, I've heard many years ago, that Island Legends had ukes for sale. For some reason I just never checked it out, I'm usually around that area on the weekends too, but I'm usually looking for some island grinds to eat. Like the curry house in that same strip mall. Nice chicken katsu/beef curry. I'll probably check it out within the next couple of weeks. How much longer do you have out here? I want to cruise down to Bob's and watch the uke show before you head out.

CenizaT&K-01
12-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Ceniza, I've heard many years ago, that Island Legends had ukes for sale. For some reason I just never checked it out, I'm usually around that area on the weekends too, but I'm usually looking for some island grinds to eat. Like the curry house in that same strip mall. Nice chicken katsu/beef curry. I'll probably check it out within the next couple of weeks. How much longer do you have out here? I want to cruise down to Bob's and watch the uke show before you head out.

hey brah...island legends actually moved down the street its now in the strip mall on the south/east corner of van ness and artesia...ill be here for two more weeks. We will be at bob's on sunday but i probably leave around 12 noon...the girl is back from Hawai'i so i have to run around with her and see her family and everything...but i think the sunday after tomorrow ill be there til at least 1 pm more like probably 2 or something like that. hope to see you.

seeso
12-22-2007, 12:40 PM
I need a new ukulele. I'm playing a Lanikai LU-21T right now. I like it, but I'd like a Koa ukulele.

BUGOY
12-23-2007, 05:57 AM
heres a pic a of my Sunlite Tenor. It has been restrung with Aquila strings and a Bushman 3-band pick up was added ALL thanks to NukeDoc. not bad for a $60 uke eh? :D

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/bugoyreyes/DSC00133.jpg

seeso
12-23-2007, 06:12 AM
heres a pic a of my Sunlite Tenor. It has been restrung with Aquila strings and a Bushman 3-band pick up was added ALL thanks to NukeDoc. not bad for a $60 uke eh? :D

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/bugoyreyes/DSC00133.jpg

Not bad at all.

peterng_20
12-23-2007, 09:44 AM
I have a Bushman Tenor Ukulele for $150. It tunes GCEA, with high G. This is my first uke. Those ukes with the plug are cool. I look forward to getting one of those, but for now I'll just stick to the one I have. Be happy with what you got.

pakiboy949
12-24-2007, 01:25 AM
I currently own a $50 cascade tenor, but it's honestly a pretty nice and simple uke. I recently restrung it with D'addario clear nylon strings, adding a really warm tune when playing finger nail facing away from the ukulele.

kyle
12-28-2007, 09:43 PM
just got my college graduation gift a year early. hahah my parents were gonna surprise me, but i ruined it by telling them i was gonna by a new tenor. They told me save my money since my dad already got me a tenor kamaka!:D

just put on new strings and i cant put it down!

NukeDOC
12-28-2007, 10:09 PM
just got my college graduation gift a year early. hahah my parents were gonna surprise me, but i ruined it by telling them i was gonna by a new tenor. They told me save my money since my dad already got me a tenor kamaka!:D

wow!!! what a present!

HungSolo
12-29-2007, 05:35 AM
I got a Lanikai LU-6 for Xmas. I think it sounds decent for the price as my first Uke. I like the fuller sound of the extra 2 strings for strumming. Not very cool for individual melody or embelishment notes, but I'm more focused on learning chords and strumming methods for now. As I get better, I'll probably start looking for more to add to my collection.

unplaned
12-29-2007, 10:00 AM
http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs24/300W/i/2007/363/7/7/ukage2_by_unplanedlayer.jpg here's my ukage! tenson soprano aquilla strung high g, and my brand new crissie present, ashbury 6 string concert with pick up/eq....love em both!

unplaned
12-29-2007, 10:12 AM
by the way driving myself nuts trying to post a pic in my posts....any advice guys?

seeso
12-29-2007, 10:20 AM
by the way driving myself nuts trying to post a pic in my posts....any advice guys?

You can attach it by clicking the paperclip, or you can use the insert image button (looks like a picture of a mountain and moon). To use the insert image button, you must first host the image at an image hosting site, like imageshack.us or photobucket.

NukeDOC
12-29-2007, 10:21 AM

theres a little button up top in the "reply" page. right above where you type your message. it looks like a mountain and moon on a yellow sky. click on that and a pop up comes up. enter the url of the pic there and hit ok and it does the code for you.

or you can just put {img}then enter the url here{/img}

IMPORTANT... change the { to [... i had to change it otherwise it will be mistaken by the website for the actual code.

seeso
12-29-2007, 10:22 AM

Damn you. I hate you.

unplaned
12-29-2007, 01:58 PM
thanks guys:o

grappler
01-05-2008, 04:17 PM
guys, i posted before and im playing a mahalo tenor.
What do you guys think of the Ovation?

seeso
01-05-2008, 05:41 PM
I haven't played the ovation.

grappler
01-06-2008, 10:58 PM
im tossing and turning between a Ovation applause and a Big island uke :confused:

Landon
01-07-2008, 07:49 AM
im tossing and turning between a Ovation applause and a Big island uke :confused:

Not too sure about the big island uke but the Ovation is a really good ukulele. Im planning on getting a Koa Ovation once i save up the money. my dad said i havee too much ukuleles so i have to buy it myself lol.

grappler
01-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Not too sure about the big island uke but the Ovation is a really good ukulele. Im planning on getting a Koa Ovation once i save up the money. my dad said i havee too much ukuleles so i have to buy it myself lol.

yeh, ive seen alot of ppl having the ovation applause.. But Theres something about it that i dont like... i dont know what it is. :(

NukeDOC
01-07-2008, 01:12 PM
re: ovation... i just dont like the round back. doesnt sit well on the lap. but they sound great.

grappler
01-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the help guys..
I also have another problem.
As you are aware im buying another ukulele.

What do you guys think of the Cordoba 24CK Concert Ukulele??
Ill post the pictures up. But i need some opinion..
Heres the description.

* Solid Koa Top
* Soid Koa back and sides
* Made in Portugal

I know its not a detailed description but thats what they only have...

for $229 is that worth it? What do you guys think of it..

:confused:

NukeDOC
01-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the help guys..
I also have another problem.
As you are aware im buying another ukulele.

What do you guys think of the Cordoba 24CK Concert Ukulele??
Ill post the pictures up. But i need some opinion..
Heres the description.

* Solid Koa Top
* Soid Koa back and sides
* Made in Portugal

I know its not a detailed description but thats what they only have...

for $229 is that worth it? What do you guys think of it..

:confused:

ive played a cordoba concert at the local guitar center. and other than the fact that it was a concert and not a tenor, i would have bought it. im not totally sure if the one i played was a koa, but if it wasnt, it sure sounded nice.

Fred Miu
01-08-2008, 06:41 AM
my friend has a 25 SK Soprano. he paid $189 at guitar center, he says its not as good as expected.

thats just mine/his opinion on the cordobas. but dont let me stop you haha

cMejilla
01-08-2008, 08:54 AM
i like my solid mahogany deluxe tenor from ko'olau/pono. has a great deep and warm sound.

plus it was cheaper from musicguymic than anywhere else

grappler
01-08-2008, 01:02 PM
ive played a cordoba concert at the local guitar center. and other than the fact that it was a concert and not a tenor, i would have bought it. im not totally sure if the one i played was a koa, but if it wasnt, it sure sounded nice.

thank you for you opinion.... im still thinking about it..havent played on a concert before so i wouldnt know the size difference or if its harder to play..
but again, thanks

grappler
01-08-2008, 01:03 PM
my friend has a 25 SK Soprano. he paid $189 at guitar center, he says its not as good as expected.

thats just mine/his opinion on the cordobas. but dont let me stop you haha

thanks freddy!! still havent decided but.. cant stop thinking about it. AHAHA :o

G~Ukes
01-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I Can Build Custom Ukes... Any Size, Style, Wood, Whatever.. If You Want A Damn Good Uke I Would Spend The Money And Just Have Someone Build The Uke Of Your Dreamz.. Or Try Buying A Kit And Make One Yourself..its Fun! Try It!

dafamcallsmebj
01-09-2008, 09:24 PM
i am currently playing a tenor lanikai uke...
autographed by EKOLU!!!
i need a new uke so i can retire my baby!!
any suggestions???:confused:

Fred Miu
01-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I Can Build Custom Ukes... Any Size, Style, Wood, Whatever.. If You Want A Damn Good Uke I Would Spend The Money And Just Have Someone Build The Uke Of Your Dreamz.. Or Try Buying A Kit And Make One Yourself..its Fun! Try It!

is it hard to make ukes? i know it takes a lot of time, but i kind of want to make my own uke later down the line all from scratch.

want to teach me?!! :D haha

grappler
01-09-2008, 10:20 PM
is it hard to make ukes? i know it takes a lot of time, but i kind of want to make my own uke later down the line all from scratch.

want to teach me?!! :D haha

very hard man.. VERY HARD. requires alot of patience......

Fatboicorp
01-09-2008, 10:23 PM

Well patience shouldn't be any problem because if you love the uke so much you would just do anything and take your time if you know what I mean.

grappler
01-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Well patience shouldn't be any problem because if you love the uke so much you would just do anything and take your time if you know what I mean.

Correct!!!
If anyone is willing to attempt to create their own.. Read up about Tools that are needed..

Goodluck to all

G~Ukes
01-10-2008, 03:02 PM

i don't think its to hard if you got the right tools... and a good teacher.. the best thing is to take a class.. patience is a must! i had previous woodworking experience before i made a uke.. it helped me alot! my dad and i was planning on making a manual for building one.. UU will be the first to know about it!

l0calb0y91
01-10-2008, 06:13 PM
i play a kanile'a custom concert ukulele

i wouldn't recomment buying anything from them because first it cost me $700 and there has been buzzing on the c-string and they can't fix it :[[[ so im stuck with this one until i can buy a tenor!

G~Ukes
01-10-2008, 06:31 PM
really? they can't fix it... they can build the ukulele but can't fix it.. i would never sell anyone one of my ukes if it had a buzz..

l0calb0y91
01-10-2008, 06:35 PM
im not trying to sell it but yea, they couldn't fix it for some reason...which sucks although you cant hear it when its plugged in which is really good for me but playing a lot of J. Shimabukuro songs, the buzzing gets annoying..

Fred Miu
01-10-2008, 06:53 PM
im not trying to sell it but yea, they couldn't fix it for some reason...which sucks although you cant hear it when its plugged in which is really good for me but playing a lot of J. Shimabukuro songs, the buzzing gets annoying..

that happened to me with one of the sopranos that i gave to my friend, the 1st fret A string made a buzz sound every time you strum, or picked it. so i barely used that string.

l0calb0y91
01-10-2008, 06:59 PM
yea, i guess its one of those things you cant do anything about...
i did drop my ukulele in the beginning and I thought that caused it to start buzzing but when i took it back to the manufacturer they said they dont know whats causing it....they did a full check on everything, changed the strings, redid the frets ....everything and they couldn't fix the problem so...im not going there again...it sucks after spending $700

ukuleleboy
01-10-2008, 08:53 PM
it was a gift from my ex girlfriend...playing it somtimes is very emotional...

I took it to kamaka hawaii, and installed a active pickup for 150 or 200..
It has a nice sound, i still have so much to learn..once i get better i'm sure it can sing.

n0ukf
01-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi from the new guy on the block, way up in FRIGID Minnesota (hey, is that Canada I see over there? Yeah it is).

You aren't going to believe this without a picture... my custom uke was made from scrap wood, salvaged guitar frets and mandolin tuners and an 8-track tape!! Oh yeah, and a salvaged piezoelectric disk transducer for a pickup.

http://www.qsl.net/n0ukf/extra/8-track-uke3.jpg

It doesn't play real well. Due to the taller guitar frets the notes bend when fretted too hard and with such a small body it doesn't get loud or full sound. But it does play and I can plug it in for more sound.

Most people I've showed it to have asked if I'm making more to sell. :D
This was just a crazy idea at the time, but I'm starting to think maybe I'll make more of this silly thing (with new tuners and lower frets) and see how they go on ebay. I already have a stack of tapes to butcher for the cause.

n0ukf
01-14-2008, 10:24 PM
l0calb0y91
I'm no expert by any means, but have you checked the notch width on the nut or bridge? if it's too wide (at least if not V shaped) it might buzz there. Can you at least tell which end is buzzing?
My Mandolin (a cheap Rogue from Musician's Friend) has, not a buzz exactly, but a dual tone if I pluck one of the strings between the bridge and the tail because the string is making light contact where it passes over the edge of the tail about an inch or less from its hook, while the other 7 give only a single tone each. Nothing worth trying to fix, as it in no way affects playing on the other (normal) side of the bridge.

SecretTweekerPas39
01-15-2008, 09:25 AM
im playing a kala KA-MT, ive had it for a month and its been great:D

GX9901
01-15-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm also from Minnesota and it is indeed FRIGID! I'm afflicted with Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome so I have too many ukes. I just got a Koa Works tenor while on vacation last week in Oahu. It is far and away the best one I have (also the most costly). It will be quite a while before my playing skills begin to deserve such a fine instrument, but it feels soooo good to play.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL66/846716/15024071/298364543.jpg

Guting
01-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Lanikai LU-21T, been almost 2 years since I bought it from musiciansfriend, beaten to a pulp

I sold my Rogue Bari to a friend, and my 97 Koaloha concert is collecting dust.

Crayon
01-15-2008, 07:04 PM
>_< Lanikai LU-21. So yeah just a Soprano.

I need to upgrade to a Mitchell or another Lanikai like SC or something. ;[

davoomac
01-26-2008, 03:58 AM
My main ukulele is a Kala KA_KTEC.

Its a Tenor cutaway uke with koa wood, maple, rosewood and mahogany. Active Pickup. I had been bumming around using a tiny $40 Hilo uke for 4 years, and I finally got enough money to buy a nicer uke!

Anyone else have this uke? it seems like alot of people have this model. It was the cheapest I could find on ebay for the quality I was looking for.

I recently tried using the pickup and no sound. I guessed the battery might be dead, but I haven't really ever used the pickup. Does the battery lose charge over time?

CI24
01-29-2008, 08:23 AM
right now im juss playin my old martin uke

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-29-2008, 07:51 PM
im on the all good Lanikai LU21T! and i have a mahalo :) it has fishing line as strings and its so loose you can't play it.. hmm i need to leave school and get a job to buy my KAMAKA!

grappler
01-29-2008, 11:29 PM
right now im juss playin my old martin uke

u lucky boy!!

UKESTAR
01-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Koaloha super concert or Koaloha tenor with Fishman. Love them both. They both get "9 ukes out of 10"..ha. Sometimes I stare at them for a few minutes before I realize that I have been staring....yep...I am a gearhead.

Oh yeh...Aquilas on my super concert and D'Addarios J71 on the tenor.....might go back to Worth BTs, but the J71s sound great too....

Like a couple of you had mentioned about your ukes....it will be awhile before my playing ability justifies these purchases, but I will get there sooner or later.....ha. They inspire me to play more too...

Nuke-ulele
01-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Custom Kanile'a Tenor, solid mango top, back and sides. Mahagony neck, mango headstock faceplate, ebony bridge and fretboard. Slanted headstock with grover black nickel tuners.

Nuke-ulele
01-30-2008, 08:29 AM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=41&d=1201721215

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-30-2008, 11:57 PM
very nice, nice colour

davoomac
01-31-2008, 02:53 AM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=41&d=1201721215

wow thats awesome. Makes me want to get more ukuleles

rayan
01-31-2008, 07:08 AM
Custom Kanile'a Tenor, solid mango top, back and sides. Mahagony neck, mango headstock faceplate, ebony bridge and fretboard. Slanted headstock with grover black nickel tuners.

Nice. I really want to get a Kanilea too.

davoomac
01-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Nice. I really want to get a Kanilea too.

How much do those kinds of ukes usually go for?

Nuke-ulele
01-31-2008, 04:59 PM
How much do those kinds of ukes usually go for?

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. What a great company the Souzas have set up there...Kanile'a is great!

Custom Tenors (mine is a K2 level...) can be investigate here, including price, options, etc:

http://www.kanileaukulele.com/index8.html

NukeDOC
01-31-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the compliments, everyone. What a great company the Souzas have set up there...Kanile'a is great!

Custom Tenors (mine is a K2 level...) can be investigate here, including price, options, etc:

im somewhat in the market for a custom uke. and ive been interested in the mango woods. do you have a video or sound clip of this uke being played? id love to hear how she sounds.

tripl3thr33
01-31-2008, 05:25 PM
ya i remember reading on the Pono/Ko'olau website saying that mango has a tone thats comparable to mahogany and koa and has lots of different colors. i would love to hear a sound sample

davoomac
01-31-2008, 05:32 PM

Wow, I'm going to start saving now. Thanks for the link!

Nuke-ulele
02-01-2008, 01:31 AM
ya i remember reading on the Pono/Ko'olau website saying that mango has a tone thats comparable to mahogany and koa and has lots of different colors. i would love to hear a sound sample

I actually don't have anything ready, but maybe I can record something this weekend and throw it up there. It sounds great, even if my playing doesn't! Lots of projection...sounds great for fingerpicking, but is a very lovely strummer as well.

Orlando
02-01-2008, 02:49 AM
I just recently got an Applause UAE20 for Christmas, its very nice for my playing ability, but I'm trying to raise the funds for a tenor uke.

jhob
02-01-2008, 04:01 AM
Another applause owner here, I got a UA-10 as a belated 30th birthday present from my parents - it's quite a step up from the mahalo that I had previously been learning on. It looks simply fantastic too, really love it so far!

I quite fancy a fluke next with an interesting design on it, not sure whether I'd go for a concert or tenor yet. Not that it's an issue currently as I'm skint and have a wedding to pay for later this year!

davoomac
02-01-2008, 04:13 AM
Another applause owner here, I got a UA-10 as a belated 30th birthday present from my parents - it's quite a step up from the mahalo that I had previously been learning on. It looks simply fantastic too, really love it so far!

I quite fancy a fluke next with an interesting design on it, not sure whether I'd go for a concert or tenor yet. Not that it's an issue currently as I'm skint and have a wedding to pay for later this year!

Congrats on the wedding and the uke!!

jhob
02-01-2008, 04:23 AM
Congrats on the wedding and the uke!!

Thanks - I'm equally excited about both!

Now, how can I involve a uke in the wedding itself....

davoomac
02-01-2008, 04:49 AM

You should do a uke solo or something. My brother got married just this last december and he asked me to play a song. So before the processional I played Jake's 'touch' (thanks to dominator for the help on that one!)

or maybe during the reception you could play and sing a love song with your uke!

davoomac
02-01-2008, 04:50 AM

Sing the version of "how deep is your love" by aldrine guerrero! that would be awesome.

rklicsu
02-01-2008, 08:54 AM
There are a lot of really nice Ukuleles listed in this thread. I am currently playing an Ohana TK-20 Tenor Ukulele (http://www.ohana-music.com/TK-20.html) which I purchased from Giacoletti Music Center (http://www.carlsbadmusic.com/) in Carlsbad, CA .

http://www.ohana-music.com/sitebuilder/images/TK-20-200x526.jpg

It has great tone and playability and as a beginner/intermediate player, I am happy with it. I am starting to save up for a higher dollar uke as funds allow.

sjsmirl
02-01-2008, 05:46 PM
I just recently got an Applause UAE20 for Christmas, its very nice for my playing ability, but I'm trying to raise the funds for a tenor uke.

Me too ! (Although I've been really happy with my Applause)

ukulelemike
02-03-2008, 11:25 PM
I play a Cole Clark ukelady--Australian made and very nice

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Australian made?? dear god!

Gaby
05-12-2008, 04:57 AM
Haha Matthew...don't be so harsh on the Ozzies! As you probably know, these Cole Clarks are unfortunately often the top of the line in Australian stores...Price wise that is...

Plainsong
05-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Mostly my koa concert Flea. :)

http://plainsong.typepad.com/photos/uke_corner/dscn0625.png

Kanaka916
05-12-2008, 09:55 AM
I currently play the 8 string pictured and and GString every so often. Both are strung with Aquilla. The 8 string is a Nice Ukulele built by Ed Bacani and info can be found here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN7jvwGpsjI) and here. (http://www.balsabill.com/Nice&#37;20Ukulele.htm).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/hawhyen51/IMG_2984.jpg

deach
05-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Nice!!!!!!!!!!

russ_buss
05-12-2008, 09:59 AM

that is one nice case! beats the hell out of my fluke gig bag.

NukeDOC
05-12-2008, 11:04 AM
well i guess its time to update:

at work: i use my makala concert
band gigs: i use my concert eleuke
acoustic gigs: i use my pono mahogany tenor
autographs: go on m leolani zebrawood tenor
chillin anywhere but home: i take my lanikai O-6 turned 4 string tenor
at home: i play my koa pili koko tenor

Daniel Davis
05-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Oscar Schmidt OU-2. My first uke!

thejumpingflea
05-12-2008, 12:40 PM
My Kamaka:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/thejumpingflea/hb2d.jpg

(Pictures don't do it justice!)

degracia
05-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Makala MK-T and from tiem to time I bust out a leolani brand soprano that my cuzzo gave me when she came from hawaii

JoeyJr858
05-12-2008, 01:38 PM
I jump between my plug in Kamaka Tenor n my Concert G-String... BUT... I would like to invest in a gigging ukulele... If I had the money... I'd put down the big bucks for a custom! =)

JoeyJr858
05-12-2008, 01:39 PM
I currently play the 8 string pictured and and GString every so often. Both are strung with Aquilla. The 8 string is a Nice Ukulele built by Ed Bacani and info can be found here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN7jvwGpsjI) and here. (http://www.balsabill.com/Nice%20Ukulele.htm).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/hawhyen51/IMG_2984.jpg

Ho Kanakz...

NICE UKES BRAH!

Jj

la_ingrit
05-12-2008, 01:44 PM
I have a pineapple Jenny (Bushman) w/ Aquila strings:D

la_ingrit
05-12-2008, 01:47 PM

That koa concert...IT'S A BEAUTY Kim!!! Congrats!!! does the sound changes for the koa wood????

Plainsong
05-12-2008, 02:01 PM
It still sounds like it has a plastic back because it does, but yeah, it's a Flea on steroids.

Turn up the volume, but here is me showing how bad I am playing the uke. :D

http://homepage.mac.com/plainsong/wawwflea.mp3

So yeah, it's got a traditional tone, but with an extra ring to it and more of a bottom end. And the action is slicker than on any uke I've ever played, but of course no buzzing. People look at the price and balk, but the thing is, it competes in the price range and above. It's just all down to sound preference. :)

14twelve
05-12-2008, 03:22 PM

Wow! That's a beautiful looking Flea! I love the case too. Really really nice looking instrument. I can't listen to the mp3 till I get home from work, but looking forward to hearing it! :)

uke142464
05-12-2008, 03:29 PM
makala concert size with some high G aquilas (they sound sooooooo gooood)

Howlin Hobbit
05-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Since I only have two playable ukes it'll be one or the other.

If I'm busking in a noisy place it'll for sure be my National.

In all other cases it'll either be the National or the Glyph.

(Both sopranos. The Glyph is not quite 5 years old and the National is something like 16-18 years old. Aquilas all the way. Re-entrant, of course. Four strings, four fingers... how zen is that?)

cheeseburger
05-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Lanikai HU-212 soprano. it sucks, dont get it.

Ame
05-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Currently playing with a LaniKai LU-21. I heart my Dia. <3 She goes everywhere with me, but doesn't have a case. ><;;

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Currently playing with a LaniKai LU-21. I heart my Dia. <3 She goes everywhere with me, but doesn't have a case. ><;;

Ukuleles in your hand look better in a case :D because then people look at it and think small guitar, this way people know what you play :D although i have hit my ukulele plenty of times which could have been prevented with a case.. all i own is a stand ^^ t(-.-t)

tad
05-12-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm supposed to pick just one?

I alternate. I've got five ukes (sad, for someone who's basically a beginner) and I'll usually switch through two or three of them whenever I sit down to play.

The way I see it, every uke has something special to bring to the table.

My Kala KA-S is the pretty one, the one that really sings.
My Mitchell Concert is quiet and dulcet and smooth.
My Republic Concert, a resonator, growls and screams and howls.
My Ovation Soprano is for when I feel like going electric.
My cigar box concert-- my newest acquisition-- has a unique plunky voice, and has (by far) the widest neck, so she's great for exercising the fingers.

russ_buss
05-12-2008, 08:03 PM
My cigar box concert-- my newest acquisition-- has a unique plunky voice, and has (by far) the widest neck, so she's great for exercising the fingers.

hey tad, how are you enjoying your new cigar box uke? any photos? likes, dislikes?

thanks!

tad
05-12-2008, 08:10 PM
hey tad, how are you enjoying your new cigar box uke? any photos? likes, dislikes?

thanks!

A preliminary review is going up tomorrow, I think.

Tonight, I really need to finish this final, so my semester's over.

SailQwest
05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
This morning I did a quick little YouTube video on my Bushman Engelmann Concert.

My husband just installed a Mi-Si pick-up in it on Sunday, and tonight will be the first time I'll be playing it on stage.

Just in case there's a problem, I'll be bringing my other uke, too.

Kim

Hopelessy Devoted To U(ke)
http://www.YouTube.com/user/SailQwest

UkuCouS
05-20-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm playing a wonderful/magic/perfect Kanile'a K1 Tenor

Rod
05-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Currently playing a Kamaka Tenor 4-string (HF-3). Picked it up at Scotty's Music on Kauai. Love it. :)

KoloheBoy
05-20-2008, 05:33 PM
get a koa ovation applause with electric pickup. then add some red kala strings. THE BEST 430DOLLARS YOU WILL SPEND ON A UKE!!!!!!!

Plainsong
05-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Oh them's fightin' words. My koa flea might have a thing or two to say about that. ;)

But seriously, that would be the second report of koa top and plastic back making a wonderful combo. :D

pohaku
05-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Gibson T-1 tenor uke.

jimbeaubjj
05-20-2008, 06:17 PM
My baby is a National Resonator Vintage, my wife complains that I hold it more than I do her.....hmmmm, she could be right......

thejumpingflea
05-20-2008, 06:30 PM
My new G-String Tenor. I am really liking the bright sound.

CTurner
05-26-2008, 11:52 AM
My recent purchase of a Kanile'a Concert has taken all my attention! This is an amazing instrument, beautiful sound and quality.

UKESTAR
05-26-2008, 12:02 PM
I am loving my cedar top mango sided Pono tenor. It is the one that I recorded Stairway to Heaven on when I got it. The only one that Pono made too...sort of a "custom"...haha. It has great projection and rich sound.

A close second is the Koaloha super-concert.

grappler
05-26-2008, 01:33 PM
im playing a custom tenor made by david aumann. soild curly koa and blackwood with custom head stock

Esy
05-26-2008, 01:40 PM
now I play on my tenor Pono PKTE1 :music:

Vroom
05-26-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm playing on my mahogany makala tenor =)

japa_justin
05-26-2008, 10:00 PM
geeze, everyone has such nice ukuleles...

all i have right now is a uilani by pignose. Just a cheap ol' uke. one day i;ll get a good one. i hope. lol

Plainsong
05-27-2008, 03:11 AM
Tomorrow I'll be playing an aqua colored Kala tenor, ya know, because the color effects the sound. ;) Hopefully MGM put the strings on that I wanted - either high g Aquilas or low G IF he had that elusive unwound low G aquila. Nothing wound. :-)

UKISOCIETY
05-27-2008, 05:10 AM
Tomorrow I'll be playing an aqua colored Kala tenor, ya know, because the color effects the sound. ;) Hopefully MGM put the strings on that I wanted - either high g Aquilas or low G IF he had that elusive unwound low G aquila. Nothing wound. :-)

I think MGM's default strings are the Aquilas.

As for me, I just strung my Harmony soprano with Low-G Aquilas I really like the sound.

I bought Guadalupe high G wound strings (EDIT: They're called "Fiber-core" ) and put them on my Martin S-0 soprano and I think they sound better than the Aquilas. They're featured on my "Hang on Little Tomato" video.

Jimmy
05-27-2008, 05:26 AM
I use mostly my Kala TEBK and I've gotten Aquilas on them. I play this when I go anywhere.

I mess around with my Mahalo (lol.) baritone which I restrung GCEA (High G). I play this one when it's a nice warm day in my garden. Considering tuning it low G. Can you get low G baritone strings?

Rubbertoe
05-27-2008, 10:18 AM
I just got a Pono PKT2 so I'm playing that right now but I've also got 2 Kalas that I usually bounce between (spalted flamed maple tuned gCEA and a mango tuned GCEA). When I go out, I bring my Surf Fluke with me and I've got a few other lower-end ukes (mostly Mahalos) that I leave in different rooms in the house incase I ever have a spontaneous urge to play a few bars.

Woodstocksp3
05-27-2008, 01:03 PM
I am currently playing a Kala KA-S and I love it!

dajoka
05-27-2008, 07:08 PM
I got a johnson ... gratefully resting in peace now ;-) and play my Pono PTC cedar top, mahogany sides. It sounds awesome, strung hi-g, ko`olau golds. Real loud and mellow sounding.

tuumalo
05-28-2008, 01:03 AM
I started out on a Lanikai LU-21c, and i still own it. I bought it for only about 80 bucks or so and man its a great uke. Especially since Kamaka's are like 500 and up. So great brand if your on a budget like me. But if your on "Baller Status" then grab a kamaka for sure lol!

redsedge
05-28-2008, 01:41 PM
I have just got a Bolivian uke which has the back, sides and neck made from one piece of wood. It's made by Adrian Villanueva and sounds as sweet as a nut, especially now I've put Aquilas on it. A real bargain, second hand from Forsyths in Manchester, UK for 70 with a padded gig bag thrown in. I'm in love. My Makala still gets a strumming now I've tuned it to A, D, F# and G for a jazzier sound. I'm in love!

hawaiianmusiclover06
05-29-2008, 12:47 AM
I haven't bought my 'ukulele yet. But I am looking forward to be playing on a Lyon Washburn koa veener concert ukulele. It costs around $97.99. It will be my beginner ukulele and an early birthday present. It comes with a gig bag, extra strings, and a instructional book.