My trip to Oahu 4/26 5/13

soarcj

Reaction score
First off the nicest uke shop that let me strum and fondle was Hawaian Music Supply. The shop in the Shearaton Waikiki had signs up asking you to ask them before touching, but after breaking the ice they were also great. They had Kalas all the way up to Devines at $6,000. For traditional hawaian music we found Chai's at the alahoa tower to be the best. Also the international market place at noon on sat. Friday nights has Tiermane Gardner at the Hyatt. The uke factory tours were interesting, and they show how different each company is. The 3 uke stores I went to in downtown malls each had ukes in glass cases or cabled to the wall and showed no interest in showing them to me. May day at the downtown bandshell was fantastic wonderful food,music, crafts, and leis. BUT Oahu is not for everyone, there is no parking, dense traffic, and constant police activity. At 4am they pulled a dead person out of the marina right outside our condo. So watch yourself.

Hawaiian Music Supply, those guys may go back 50+ years, the name rings a bell.

Waikiki is not perfect. There are gangs, muggings, people fighting, drunks, etc yadda yadda. That being said it's a pretty safe place, and as for the dead guy in the marina, he could have been anything from murdered to fell in drunk and drowned. It's sad, but well, Waikiki sees everything. I was last there in 2003, and it's a zoo, but I'd not call it an inherently dangerous place.

Traffic indeed suxs in densely populated areas on Oahu. Take cabs, take DaBus, if you're there for any length of time, just buy a moped and sell it or give it away when you leave. I was there for a few months in 2003 and I was an idiot - I bought a car. I'd have been far ahead of the game to buy a scooter and ride that around, and then give it to my older sis who lives there. Scooters do get stolen, and I remember working the math, and realizing that a typical used scooter (larger than 50cc, which area actually stolen less and require a motorcycle license which I have) would cost less to buy and operate than bus passes, even assuming one stolen scooter a year. Oahu is an amazing place! I could write whole novels on all the cool stuff there.

Aloha Soarcj,
Hey I live here man, while Honolulu has evolved into quite a large city...and may have the same issues as any other large cities...we are safe here and crime is low...due to the diligence of our fine
police force...as for the unfortunate person who was pulled out of the Ala Wai Harbor...he could have simply drowned...don't make those assumptions...and tarnish our island...We have alot more
to offer here....for our beauty, weather, and diverse tropical climate etc... As anywhere you go, you need to do research beforehand so on your short visit you get the most of your vacation....

Top Bottom