PDA

View Full Version : Kala or Brunswick soprano?

erion
05-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Hello,
Due to Hungary being not exactly a ukulele-popularising country, I found it quite hard to find a place to order a uke. After spending almost 2 days to research and listen to various reviews/sound demos, I found that a soprano Kala would be a nice choice.
However the music supplier just contacted me saying that they are out of that brand but heartily recommend a Brunswick instead.
Sadly I could not find any reviews about it, except the manufacturer provided ones but as we all know that sometimes can be misleading.
Now my question is, if anyone has experience with a Brunswick soprano uke, should I wait 2 months or so till they restock the Kala soprano (ka-s) model or would a Brunswick do as well?
The most important thing for me is intonation. While lots of people say that if you are a beginner it does not matter since you will buy one for serious playing, I tend to not agree. The reason is, if you have a good sounding instrument from the start it will motivate you more.

Any help is really appreciated.
Erion

mm stan
05-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Hope this helps..... http://ukulelehunt.com/2009/08/28/brunswick-more-pineapples-ukulele/ good luck...Happy strummings..
http://www.bandm.co.uk/productThumbnails.aspx?brand=5787b4d1-309b-4d25-815e-9b16e96c7a33

erion
05-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply.
As far as I see people have generally positive experiences.
Its interesting, because the Kala and the Brunswick ukes are manufactured in the same factory (that's what the supplier says), both have aquila strings which is fantastic, both are laminated mahogany, geared tuners. Yet the Brunswick is cheaper.
As far as I heard the Kala one is bright, its intonation is much, much better than on a Lanikai.
Of course it depends on many things, since with a proper setup a Lanikai can sound fairly nice, but since I have really no way to request a setup sadly i have to do with what I get, hence my question.
I'm starting to believe that the Brunswick sounds reasonably good. Still, if its worth waiting for a Kala I most certainly will.

Erion

PhilUSAFRet
05-15-2011, 01:03 PM
The two people that bought the Brunswick Mahogany Soprano uke on Amazon.uk give them 5 stars and they seem to be the equal of the Kalas. I might choose the Brunswick over the Kala just for the kamaka-like headstock alone!