Video's/Pictures from Mighty Uke Day in Lansing Michigan.

RyRod

Reaction score
ukeday2.jpg

So, Mighty Uke Day was this past weekend (Saturday the 14th to be exact) and I took it upon myself to be the unofficial UU rep/reporter.

The festivities started at 10:30am with the L.A.U.G.H. meeting where they went over the songs that they were going to do as a group later that day.

I arrived at 11 am because traffic was bad. (it's that time of year in Michigan) By then they were in full swing and I walked in to their performance of "My little Grass Shack". They played a few other warm up tunes and then it was time for the open mic from 12pm until 4pm.

The open mic was quite the spectacle. John Payne, his socks, and his pedal board were quite entertaining to say the least. He did 3 songs but I messed up recording the first one. There were a few other UUers there too. Nick Kopas did a nice set and his son even joined him on stage.
I even got up there. I wasn't going to, but they were ahead of schedule and Hilo Greg told me to take his spot because he was attending the 2pm Mighty Uke Screening. Mike Kassel (aka Lambchop) did his famous songs "One Ukulele" and "Middle Aged Guy with a Ukulele" along with another song.

Ben Hassenger and Maria did a couple songs also and did a great job. Erin sorryiforgotyourlastname played a couple songs and sounded really good doing it. One was about beards and another about getting poked. Ben got back up there with his buddy Steve on the U-Bass and got down on a couple more tunes.

There were tons of others too, but I can't remember them all.

Once the open mic was done it was time for individual and group performances.

ukeday1.jpg

The pictures have been pirated from the mighty uke facebook page. :) They are not mine. Only the videos are.

I didn't have a good seat for the group/individual performances so I didn't record them. Other people did though. (see below)

They were very entertaining. The Lansing area group started off and did a nice set. I think MMUGS was up next followed by Rachel Davis, an excellent jazz style singer. Julianna Tuell and Andy Wilson performed an excellent set. Andy played a few different instruments as well. Magdalen Fossom, the 10 year old folk singer, wowed the crowd as well. The Ann Arbor Group did a couple songs as well. We played Stairway to Heaven, Secret Agent Man, Ukes on the march (a Hilo Greg original) and Stand by me. The fabulous Heftones performed the last set of the night and did a killer job.

We had to clear out of Sir Pizza by 7pm because they had another band headlining for the night and they had to set up.

I made my way over to the 7pm showing of the Mighty Uke documentary around the corner at the MICA gallery. This movie was very inspirational. It discussed where, how, when, why, what, and the who of the ukulele. All the greats, current and past, were in it. Jake gave a little interview as well as Bill Tapia, Jim Belof, and many others. If you haven't seen it yet, go pick it up or see it when it rolls through your town.

Like a dummy, I didn't stick around after the movie for the impromptu jam session. It was like 8:45pm and I decided to start the 1 1/2 hour journey back home. It was a great day and I sincerely hope it spawns an annual event here in Michigan.

Go here for more pictures and whatnot. http://www.facebook.com/mightyukeday and http://www.flickr.com/photos/slwagner/sets/72157626733908264/

Here's another write-up. http://themarmeladegypsy.blogspot.com/

It takes like 45 minutes to render these HD videos and then another 20 for youtube. Be patient. There will be many more videos and write-ups.

Thanks for taking the time to read/watch/look.

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed these, especially those stockings !!!!!!!!! Look like a fun event.

Open Mic Videos

John Payne and his pedal board.

John Payne #2

Gary Ralph

Ben, Maria and Steve # 1

Last edited:
More video's from Truckubuddy's channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/truckubuddy

I didn't get to film any of the performances from the main thing. I'm glad he did.

Stand by me. Ann Arbor Ukulele Group. (me on the solo)

MMUGS Mighty Uke Day
"My bucket's got a hole in it" and "Let's talk dirty in Hawaiian"

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this...I really wanted to attend but had to work.

I enjoyed watching Magdalon the 8 year old belting out. Its people like her that let you know you just got to get up there and do it.

Andy Wilson. I have a double bass harmonica like him that I have never learned to play. It was fun to watch but I don't think that his bass harp came out well in the audio. It was good to see he got a little ovation for his bass run.

Aloha Ryan,
Mahalo for sharing....looks like it was all a rockin time....especially 10 year old Magdalin...wow sounded so great....

I can honestly say it was the best Ukulele event Michigan has experienced. (Well, at least from my perspective.) Hopefully we can make this an annual thing. Keep it up RyRod, the Underground needs to see this stuff!

Here's some more. I have a lot more where these came from.

Bohemian Rhapsody

Mike Kassel AKA lambchop

Last edited:
thanks for posting the vids. I really enjoyed them

Me. While my guitar Gently weeps. A little iffy because of nerves.

Close To You. I think I rushed this one.

Crosscurrent

Last edited:
Top Bottom