Loud Pineapple?

fabioponta

Reaction score
Hello UU,
I do not want to bother much.
Just trying to complete my ukulele models with dignity and good choices. Everyone here helped me a lot to choose some ukes that I love.

I am in doubt about a good pineapple, really loud.
Average price up to $ 400.
(Kamaka is almost double what I intend to spend).
Soprano or concert, wood can be varied:

What is the best choice in that category?

Mele concert? Soprano?
Kelii soprano?
KPK soprano?
Mainland cedar top concert?
Kiwaya?
Just found these for sale ...

Last edited:
Aloha Fabio,
I say you have alot of ukes already...save and get the Kamaka pineapple..or you will never know....in the long run you'll be grateful...

Hello Fabioponta,

Are you wanting a pineapple because you think it would be louder? Or you want a pineapple or soprano that is loud? All I can give you is my personal opinion based on my limited experience. I don't believe that all pineapples are equal. I had a my hands on a Ohana pineapple and was disappointed and felt like the whole pineapples sound more like a concert thing was lot of hype. I am now the proud owner of a Kamaka pineapple and in this particular brand it is true the pineapple does have more depth and is louder than a soprano. A fantastic instrument and you should be able to find one second hand but you have to be patient. Of the ukes you have listed I have played the KPK and it is nice, I liked it, I don't think it is loud though. I LOVE Mainlands and think everyone should have at least one. I hope that helped.

Hi Roxhum, M M Stan:
I'm looking for a pineapple that resonates loud: need not be like a concert necessary.
By the way, the pineapple inventors - Kamaka - are still on the top. Maybe save $ for this is a great idea...
I experienced a standard KPK soprano and thought completely dumb, with no resonance, and I do not encounter this problem in a pineapple KPK. (maybe I play a bad KPK soprano)
I think mainland a good idea, but, the finish details is a problem for me...

Have you seen a Mainland in person? They are a lot classier looking in person. I kind of think that the mainland pineapple will be the same as the Ohana, not much difference from a soprano. I got my Kamaka Pineapple in like new condition for just over $500. It is 5 years old and there is a shop in Hawaii that can mail you a new one and they sell them for $600, case not included. I don't know anything about the international rates. If you know you like the KPK Pineapple go for it. The guy in Hawaii that sales them talked me out of it because he said he didn't think it was louder than the soprano. I don't know anything about the Mele. If you can swing it go Kamaka.

Savagehenry has a Mainland longneck mahogany concert.....loud and sweet, and gorgeous.

I Recommend A Mele!

Hello UU,
I do not want to bother much.
Just trying to complete my ukulele models with dignity and good choices. Everyone here helped me a lot to choose some ukes that I love.

I am in doubt about a good pineapple, really loud.
Average price up to $ 400.
(Kamaka is almost double what I intend to spend).
Soprano or concert, wood can be varied:

What is the best choice in that category?

Mele concert? Soprano?
Kelii soprano?
KPK soprano?
Mainland cedar top concert?
Kiwaya?
Just found these for sale ...

I have a koa soprano pineapple Mele. A great little uke... and does it ever have volume! Easy to play and cute as a bug!

I have had the opportunity to play a uke made by David Gil and I am pretty sure he is in your price range. That would be sweet. I have always been sorry I didn't buy that David Gil uke.

I recently bought a Mainland Red Cedar/Rosewood soprano pineapple that turned out to be surprisingly loud. Also has a nice rounded tone. Surpassed all my expectations for an under $250 ukulele.

In my experience the loudest would be the Mainland and KoAloha. The Kamaka pineapple is very sweet and warm with average volume...very different tone from the other two.

I'd get a KoAloha. I agree with Pippin. They are the loudest pineapples around. You might be able to get a 2nd for that price. I'm not sure though. Perhaps you could post a "wanted" ad for one in the forum.

I agree with mm stan, if you want bright ringing sound, go with the Koaloha. If you want a warm, rich tone, its hard to beat the Kamaka. Sam from Larry's Music and ukuleleuprising.com compares the Kamaka and Koaloha pineapples in this one year old video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysnE7yWyhCI. If you're looking for a more affordable alternative, you might want to check out the Kamoa pineapple, which Aldrine reviewed here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4FK8mMQ544.

Have been looking at Kamoas, but so far only the laminated E-series is avalable. For a solid wood pineapple with good volume at a price about half a Koaloha and 1/3 a Kamaka, I'd still go with the Mainland Cedar/Rosewood model.

Mainland don't have any cedar/rosewood for now, so I decide to bought my first pineapple a Mainland mahog matte finish w/ friction tuners and ebony buttons (great price). I also sent an email to Koaloha expecting a second factory.

Top Bottom