need help finding a good uke

corybeyers5

Reaction score
i am saving up to buy a ukulele because they seem fun to play and also relaxing. i like the music alot! its beautiful. i am not sure what is a good ukulele to play for around 100 to 120 bucks, 120 being my max. i went to guitar center today and saw some really cool ones, how can i find the right uke for me?

Welcome to UU - you've come to the right place to ask that question. If you could let us know where you live, there is a good chance that there's someone(s) nearby who have already been assimilated into thenirvanna that is the ukulele. If there's a few people nearby, odds are good that they meet occasionaly to jam & share their love for music. Uke players love to help new players pick out a first uke & will let you play any that they own. Many times Guitar Center or other "big box" guitar stores might have a few mid to low end ukes & sadly they may not even be in tune. Lots of threads to assist... expect a friendly "pile on" of information coming your way!

I've seen the Kala "fruit" ukes retail for under $100 with Aquila strings. They are fun, cute, and will probably stay in tune. The Oscar Schmidt laminate "aloha" series ukes also start in that price range and will give decent service to a beginner. They are often beautifully finished considering how inexpensive they are.

The Kala thinline travel ukes sound amazing and re only slightly more expensive than the price range you set yourself, about 150 in the US I think. Read the reviews on this site, keep an eye on the Market section, and Ebay is great if you live far from a major centre and buy from a ukulele dealer there.

Welcome aboard, corybeyers5. I went to Sam Ash Music (90% of the ukes are in tune there) and tried them all. I finally settled on the Cordoba Classical, lots of bang for the buck. It's loud, and smooth, I don't think it's particularly difficult to play. I got my daughter a Luna concert, she loves it, and it's even louder than my Cordoba. I think either would be a good choice for a beginner

Hello and welcome. I noticed today on the Flea Marketplace someone is selling a flea for $80 and a Lanikai LU21 concert for $80. Both would be good. Check it out. Google Flea ukulele and you will find the website and then go to the marketplace. Good luck

Do you know yet what size ukulele you'd like to play yet? I started with a concert, and still like the feel of it more than the more traditional concert size. Once you've decided on which size you'd like, it's a little easier to track down ukuleles and brands that fit the range you've set for yourself.

The easiest way to do this is, of course, to go back to the store and ask them to let you try different sizes so you can decide for yourself which one(s) you're most comfortable with.

The ukulele review section of this forum is a pretty good place to see what other people think of specific ukuleles, if you get to the point where you're picking between a few, and the ukulele marketplace section is a good place resource as well.

Also, and I hope you forgive me if I'm a bit pushy with this, I'm selling my acoustic-electric concert in the marketplace (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...CE-Mahogany-Acoustic-Electric-Concert-Ukulele) and I'd be willing to give a better price for it if it's going to a good home.

Last edited:
thanks guys, i am actually liking the sound of the tenor ones better, they sound beautiful. i really like the sound of the kamoa et tenor, but i was wondering if anyone had any good experience with a lanikai tenor?

Bear in mind, tenors will generally be more expensive than equivalent model sopranos or concerts (more product!!)

Therefore if you are definite on a tenor, bear in mind that you may get what is arguably a better instrument in soprano size.

I would say plus one on the LU21 Lanikai - if you can stretch to the tenor version, then go for it. If not, be careful what tenor you are getting

Aloha Corey,
Keep an eye out in our marketplace for deals as you can get a better quality uke for a better price used...also Flea Market Place...Good Luck and Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Hawaii Music Supply
I have nothing to do with them but they seem to have a nice cross section of prices that are all set up and I think set up is crucial for a beginner. they have a mahala pkg tenor starting at 69 dollars with gig bag and tuner , with set up and up up up lol

i am saving up to buy a ukulele because they seem fun to play and also relaxing. i like the music alot! its beautiful. i am not sure what is a good ukulele to play for around 100 to 120 bucks, 120 being my max. i went to guitar center today and saw some really cool ones, how can i find the right uke for me?

Git on down to Git-tar center and buy a Cordoba (or order online) I got my fresh out of the box, all out of tune, tuned 'er up, then miles on the bicycle in my backpack, got home, stuck it in one of our storage sheds for a few hours while I did chores, pulled it out, still in tune. Played it that night, got up in the morning, still tune.... you get the idea. I mean, needed micro-tuning, but it's the stayest in tunest I've EVER seen and I grew up on Kamakas!

For $100 you can't go wrong.

Top Bottom