PDA

View Full Version : D7 chord and the middle finger question

andre66
05-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi folks,
For the last few days i've been doing the ukulele boot camp practice sheet one-thank you Rod- and today i noticed that using my middle finger to barre instead of my index is easier.
it makes going from a Am to the D7 much easier and it also makes going to the G7 easier as well.
So any reason not to use the middle finger to barre this chord that i may not be aware of as a beginner?
Thanks
PS- I really am loving this instrument it is so much fun!

Gmoney
05-15-2011, 05:07 PM
What ever works for you - use it... More importantly, learning that barre D7 early eases you into venturing "up the neck" off of those "first position" chords. Another way to do the D7 is even easier! The Boot Camp lists the Am as 2000 meaning that you place a finger on the second fret of the G string; a D7 like this simply adds another finger like this: D7 == 2020 - some call it the "Hawaiian D7" - play it and listen to the way it sounds & compare it to the barre D7. Hear that particular 7th sound??

Hope this helps!

allanr
05-15-2011, 05:19 PM
I too still struggle with barre chords.... but there is a reason to try not to use your middle finger as the "bar" on barre chords. Gmoney hints at it in his response about venturing "up the neck", if you barre with your middle finger you are going to run out of fingers to fret with as you move up the neck for some chord shapes.

mm stan
05-15-2011, 09:07 PM
For me, it depends on the transition from chord to chord which way I go...but from Am to d7 it works there..

PhilUSAFRet
05-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Lots of folks do it the way it's most comfortable, but as you progress, you will wish you had practiced it the "correct" way as alanr pointed out.

Ukulele JJ
05-16-2011, 02:08 AM
I'll often use my middle finger to go from Am or A or A7 to a D major (2220).

But for a D7, I'll either go with the Hawaiian version (2020) or do the barre with my index finger (not for any reason other than that's just how I'm used to playing barre chords).

JJ

ukulelecowboy
05-16-2011, 02:41 AM
The only reason that I can think of to use the index is to gain added support from the middle. When playing certain jazz progressions, I have, on occasion, actually placed my middle on top of my index for extra strength when playing. This happens rarely and only after playing for quite a long time.

andre66
05-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the replies, i've tried the 2020 and it does seem to work well, although i like the sound of the 2223 better. I'll switch between the two for the next week just to see which one works for me in terms of sound and ease of use.
Thanks again.

molokinirum
05-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Hi folks,
For the last few days i've been doing the ukulele boot camp practice sheet one-thank you Rod- and today i noticed that using my middle finger to barre instead of my index is easier.
it makes going from a Am to the D7 much easier and it also makes going to the G7 easier as well.
So any reason not to use the middle finger to barre this chord that i may not be aware of as a beginner?
Thanks
PS- I really am loving this instrument it is so much fun!

That is how I do the D7 chord. I play the D by using the same middle finger and barring the G, C & A strings, leaving the E string open. Makes it easier (for me anyway) to plat the D7, Am, A & F.

uke4ia
05-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Going from an Am to a D7, I'd use the 2223. The 2020 is too similar to the Am, in fact it's how I play an Am6. (The Genesis 23-minute epic "Supper's Ready" starts on Am6 and keeps coming back to it, and it works best on uke as 2020.) I'd use a D7 that's more clearly a different chord.