PDA

View Full Version : How To Properly Care For My Solid Acacia?

Clobbersaurus
05-16-2011, 09:02 AM
So my first uke, a Kala ASAC-C will be here in a few days, and since it is solid Acacia I don't know how I should properly store it. From what I've read, solid Acacia should be kept with a humidifier to avoid cracking. I am in NJ, and the summers get pretty bad here with humidity, so I am worried about keeping it safe. Do I NEED a humidifier? And if so, should I buy one that goes inside the uke? And do I keep it out or do I put it in a case?

Any suggestions? Thanks for any help!

molokinirum
05-16-2011, 09:39 AM
I do not use the humidifiers during the NJ summers, only in mid Fall through late Spring. I have a humidifier the goes inside the body, hanging from the strings. The uke stays in the closed case until play time starts!
Congrats on your new Kala!!!!!

Clobbersaurus
05-16-2011, 09:59 AM
I do not use the humidifiers during the NJ summers, only in mid Fall through late Spring. I have a humidifier the goes inside the body, hanging from the strings. The uke stays in the closed case until play time starts!
Congrats on your new Kala!!!!!

Thanks! I know you said it stays in the case, but do you keep your uke in the case all year-round(other than when you're playing it, of course)?

molokinirum
05-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks! I know you said it stays in the case, but do you keep your uke in the case all year-round(other than when you're playing it, of course)?

Yes...don't want anything to happen! Also, I would hate if somebody (family or friend) caused any damage (not on purpose of course) and both of us would feel real bad!

Clobbersaurus
05-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Yes...don't want anything to happen! Also, I would hate if somebody (family or friend) caused any damage (not on purpose of course) and both of us would feel real bad!

I don't blame you, but what I was asking was if you kept it in a case despite the seasons. Like no matter winter or summer, it was still in the case.

molokinirum
05-16-2011, 10:18 AM
I don't blame you, but what I was asking was if you kept it in a case despite the seasons. Like no matter winter or summer, it was still in the case.

Yes, all of the ukes are either in their case or my hands! Never leave any of them about. (But, that is just me!)

Mandarb
05-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Congrats on your new uke. +1 on what molokinirum said - humidify from fall to spring and keep uke in case when not playing - much safer.

Clobbersaurus
05-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Yes, all of the ukes are either in their case or my hands! Never leave any of them about. (But, that is just me!)

You said the humidifier hangs form the strings, does it stretch the strings at all?

hoosierhiver
05-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Winter is the worst, cold dry air can ruin a uke if not cared for.

Mandarb
05-16-2011, 10:29 AM
You said the humidifier hangs form the strings, does it stretch the strings at all?

Nope.

Winter is the worst, cold dry air can ruin a uke if not cared for.

Mike from Mainland sells Oasis humidifiers.

Clobbersaurus
05-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Here's another weather question: Is there a difference between hard cases and foam cases in terms of the weather? Like is one better to use during the summer(or any season) than the other?

Mandarb
05-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Most of the hard cases have some type of foam on the interior. There are a lot of semi-hard uke cases available. Basically, the better the seal the better the protection. Good luck.

hoosierhiver
05-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Here's another weather question: Is there a difference between hard cases and foam cases in terms of the weather? Like is one better to use during the summer(or any season) than the other?

You certainly don't want to leave a uke(in case) in the sun to overheat. The foam cases are usually black, so they would heat up a little quicker.
I'm not sure if one style would be better at controlling the humidity than another.