PDA

View Full Version : Ever feel like you don't "deserve" a certain uke?

byjimini
05-16-2011, 09:05 AM
I bought a Mainland soprano last May, and have loved it to bits. Now though, I'm looking for larger frets for fingerpicking, as it can be a bit fiddly. I have a Samich Greg Bennett concert which is absolutely fabulous, except the build quality obviously isn't all "that" and isn't as loud as I'd like.

Started looking around, then, firstly at Ohana, and I see the TK75-CG priced at 320. Absolutely gorgeous uke, with my favourite wood of the moment (maple) - but I just can't justify spending that amount of money when I've nothing to show for it. It's not like I'll be playing to a few thousand at the weekend or have an album for sale - I just don't feel I deserve it, you know?

As for Ohana's Delta resonator, sweet Christ on a bike, there's 800 of guilt right there! :D

molokinirum
05-16-2011, 09:10 AM
No, you should get what will make you happy. If you get a nice uke, you will be much more likely to play both longer and really strive to play better. Get it, you deserve it!!!!

hmgberg
05-16-2011, 09:14 AM
No, you should get what will make you happy. If you get a nice uke, you will be much more likely to play both longer and really strive to play better. Get it, you deserve it!!!!

I agree. Better ukuleles sound better and are easier to play, typically. I think you justify the purchase AFTER you have made it. Get the ukulele and play it.

Mandarb
05-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Ever feel like you don't "deserve" a certain uke?

Nope.

If it makes you happy and you are not hurting yourself (i.e. not paying your bills like your mortgage or rent) - enjoy your uke. Get the best you can comfortably afford whether it is a $5.00 uke or a $5,000.00 uke.

janeray1940
05-16-2011, 09:29 AM
I totally agree with what's been said already. I bought my first higher-end uke when I had only been playing a short time (a Koaloha that has long since been re-homed), and it was so much easier to play and sounded so much better than the entry-level uke that I had started with that I found myself practicing more and improving much more rapidly. If you can afford it - you already deserve it!

PhilUSAFRet
05-16-2011, 09:39 AM
I understand there's only so much money to go around, but you have to put things into perspective (IMO) and decide how much joy that new uke is going to bring you. Don't let "guilt" be your biggest reason for not getting it...just make sure it's a uke you really covet. If you have been practicing and your skill is improving, wanting to upgrade from the Samick/Gregg Bennett is a pretty normal thing that I think nearly all of us will do, sooner or later. Good luck!!!!!!!

PS: I'd bet on it that you do "deserve it."

GVlog
05-16-2011, 09:42 AM
No but I've felt that certain ukes don't deserve my money.

SuzukHammer
05-16-2011, 09:43 AM
I've been feeling like I'm getting snobbish because I am gaining enough skills to play the ukes I didn't deserve before. and... most of them are worth every penny.

GX9901
05-16-2011, 09:45 AM
You deserve whatever ukulele you can afford. I think the best ukes are actually more beginner friendly than "entry-level" ukes. They are easier to play and sound better. My personal opinion is that if you've realized that the ukulele is the instrument for you, you should just get the best uke you can afford. If you can afford it, you deserve it.

DeVineGuitars
05-16-2011, 09:58 AM

This pretty much says it all. Life is short, play something nice.

byjimini
05-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Cheers guys (and girls!). I've come off a charity weekend where we opened the night and had so much fun; musician friends of mine have been saying that I've really improved since I first started playing at folk nights and doing charity concerts etc, so I feel I want to 'reward' myself with a lovely looking and sounding uke. :D

This is us before Christmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weWqJSNKQJ8

Anyway, been checking the reviews, consulted with loved ones etc, going to plump for the Ohana TK75-CG. I still think it looks a little flash for me - I don't want to be 'that' guy with the expensive and flashy instrument that can't do it justice! But I'm sure it'll be fine. :)

Mucho love. <3 ^_^

brunette_moment
05-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Or get a Mainland Concert, so the siblings can keep each other company. :D

mm stan
05-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Get the best you can comfortably afford...as said previously...it will sound and play better...be more comfortable and you'll learn quicker with a quality ukulele...Happy Strummings and Good Luck!!

Jnobianchi
05-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Get the best you can comfortably afford...as said previously...it will sound and play better...be more comfortable and you'll learn quicker with a quality ukulele...Happy Strummings and Good Luck!!

Like Stan says.

When I got back into ukulele in the early 90's, I had already had my share of cheapies. I bought a very reasonably priced Martin O and haven't ever wanted another soprano uke ever again. Totally satisfied. On banjo ukes, I'd had several cheapies - good ones, but not expensive - and I kept saying "Someday, when I get a raise or a new job, I'll get a Ludwig or a Gibson." I finally gave up on waiting and bought one of each this year. My UAS is completely gone, but more importantly, I'm playing the best I've ever done. It truly helps to have the best tools you can afford. :)

OldePhart
05-16-2011, 10:50 AM
<rant_mode>
I wish people would get over this whole "deserve the instrument" thing. That's exactly backwards. Everyone should get absolutely the best instrument they can afford, regardless of ability. With a better instrument you will learn faster and become a better player, you will be inspired to practice more, etc., etc., etc. The instrument must deserve you, not the other way 'round!
</rant_mode>

sukie
05-16-2011, 10:51 AM
I have a Moore Bettah. Do I "deserve" it? Heck, no. But I love it and it makes me practice. It was just the ukulele I wanted and it's "THE" ukulele in my life. Go on -- enjoy.

Hippie Dribble
05-16-2011, 11:01 AM
<rant_mode>
I wish people would get over this whole "deserve the instrument" thing. That's exactly backwards. Everyone should get absolutely the best instrument they can afford, regardless of ability. With a better instrument you will learn faster and become a better player, you will be inspired to practice more, etc., etc., etc. The instrument must deserve you, not the other way 'round!
</rant_mode>

Amen ye olde phart. Nicer instruments make you feel good too. They make you WANT to improve. They're inspiring. They're beautiful. They sound better. They make you sound better. They make you lust after them. They make practice a joy. They make you not want to stop playing (even to go to the bathroom.............

........where I believe I do my very best work :) )

Treat yourself. You do deserve it and it deserves you mate.

byjimini
05-16-2011, 11:12 AM
<rant_mode>
</rant_mode>

Absolutely, I need to get over it! Couldn't agree more. :)

OldePhart
05-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Ahhh, I remember that vid! I'm still waiting on you guys to do a metal grass version of Sweet Child O' Mine! :)

byjimini
05-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Hehe! Well unfortunately we've just disbanded today, but me and Lyn (the guitarist) are great friends with another excellent fiddle player, so we're taking our covers with us and will write some other original songs. :) And post them on Youtube, obviously. :D

roxhum
05-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Sorry... But heck yeah! I just bought that wonderful Kamaka Pineapple and I don't want to bring it with me to the local uke group because what in the heck is someone that barely knows how to play doing with such a fine instrument. And I tell ya I still love my Mainland.

MiaRosie
05-16-2011, 12:28 PM
I've just been informed *we are NOT having ukes in the loo*

Maiyah888
05-16-2011, 12:29 PM
C'mon eugene, you KNOW there are folks who uke on the throne. You KNOW it!

PhilUSAFRet
05-16-2011, 12:31 PM
No but I've felt that certain ukes don't deserve my money.

More than a few of those!

PhilUSAFRet
05-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Or get a Mainland Concert, so the siblings can keep each other company. :D

Savage Henry just got a Mainland long neck mahogany concert. It's loud, and sweet, and gorgeous.

Ronnie Aloha
05-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Would you get the best wife you could afford or would you settle for a cheaper one since you felt you didn't deserve a better one?

Hippie Dribble
05-16-2011, 12:41 PM
well Ronnie...that sure puts it in its rightful perspective...he he...eugenie is just like a vintage Kumalae...curvy, sweet and cuddly etc etc :)

v30
05-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Yes but like ukuleles, not long before you are looking to trade up :D
Glad my wife isn't a member...

Ingrate
05-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Since you already have an 'ukulele, there's no hurry. Try to play as many 'ukes as you can, and see if one of them picks you. You have enough experience to know what you want.

Sometimes, UAS ( or anything-AS) is mostly the desire to buy something.

hmgberg
05-16-2011, 01:39 PM
<rant_mode>
</rant_mode>

Yeah! That's what I meant when I said you buy the uke first and "deserve" it once you get it. Think about it as something to "grow into." If you "deserve" it before you get it, you'll probably "outgrow" it very quickly.

OldePhart
05-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Sorry... But heck yeah! I just bought that wonderful Kamaka Pineapple and I don't want to bring it with me to the local uke group because what in the heck is someone that barely knows how to play doing with such a fine instrument. And I tell ya I still love my Mainland.

Nah, take it to the uke group unless your meetings are so wild you're afraid it will get damaged. Seriously! The uke you carry says less about your current ability than your aspirations. Most people will see that uke and know that you are seriously hooked - they'll be inclined to help you more than they would somebody who might be "hair today and gone tomorrer." Besides, there will be several who will want to try it out and there ain't no better way to pick up tips then from somebody who is holding your uke in their hands!

Not that there is anything at all wrong with the Mainland (I own three and love 'em). If I had the good fortune to have a ukulele group really nearby (instead of clear across the metroplex) I'd be rotating my ukes. Not to show off...well, maybe just a little :) ...but because that's part of the fun of a group is getting to "lay hands" on a variety of ukes! I figure it would be selfish of me to deny other folks in the group the opportunity to admire and pick a bit on all of my ukes, sooner or later.

I've long gotten over (mostly) the jealousy when I realize that almost anybody else can make my instruments sound better than I can. I tweak electric guitars, and design, build, and tweak tube guitar amps - I finally realized that I can make an amazing amp, get a guitar singing sweet as a canary, but it's going to take somebody who's a real player to get the best from my efforts.

John

byjimini
05-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Looks like I'll have some more time to think it over - the uke is on pre-order for the end of July! :(

Gmoney
05-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Nah, take it to the uke group unless your meetings are so wild you're afraid it will get damaged. Seriously! SNIP I'd be rotating my ukes.

Thats what I do - I travel to Atlanta every week & if we are having a SE Ukers meet, I'll usually bring a different one w/me - if I'm driving I might bring several. Half the fun of uke meets is that "wanna play this one?" - sharing so that everybody gets to try out other ukes. The rist one I went to, I met Haolejohn, SweetWaterBlue & UkeRepublic's Mike - John let me play his Sceptre and Concert KoAloha's - I was afraid I'd break them! :)

SailingUke
05-17-2011, 08:08 AM
I not nearly as good a player as my signature. I don't play to crowds, but I get great enjoyment from playing.
Treat yourself to all the ukuleles you want, life is short, so enjoy.

roxhum
05-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Nah, take it to the uke group unless your meetings are so wild you're afraid it will get damaged. Seriously! The uke you carry says less about your current ability than your aspirations. Most people will see that uke and know that you are seriously hooked - they'll be inclined to help you more than they would somebody who might be "hair today and gone tomorrer." Besides, there will be several who will want to try it out and there ain't no better way to pick up tips then from somebody who is holding your uke in their hands!

Not that there is anything at all wrong with the Mainland (I own three and love 'em). If I had the good fortune to have a ukulele group really nearby (instead of clear across the metroplex) I'd be rotating my ukes. Not to show off...well, maybe just a little :) ...but because that's part of the fun of a group is getting to "lay hands" on a variety of ukes! I figure it would be selfish of me to deny other folks in the group the opportunity to admire and pick a bit on all of my ukes, sooner or later.

I've long gotten over (mostly) the jealousy when I realize that almost anybody else can make my instruments sound better than I can. I tweak electric guitars, and design, build, and tweak tube guitar amps - I finally realized that I can make an amazing amp, get a guitar singing sweet as a canary, but it's going to take somebody who's a real player to get the best from my efforts.

John

Thanks OldePhart. Sheesh it feels rude calling you that.... Thanks John!!!

OldePhart
05-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks OldePhart. Sheesh it feels rude calling you that.... Thanks John!!!

Trust me, I've been called far worse! You can call me anything but "Sue" or late for dinner!

John

Dan Uke
05-17-2011, 12:06 PM
I bought my first uke, which happens to be a Koaloha. Knowing how much it is made me want to get better. More importantly, because it sounds so nice, makes me want to play it more!!!! So worth buying a nice uke.

Kite
05-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Well I guess if you have been fortunate enough to be able to earn and save enough money for a high end uke then you deserve it. Keep it simple. I guess if the work ethic is present there should be no problem with what you get.

But aspirations and our wallets dont always equate. I haven't been in the best financial position this past year (dedicated a year to service) bought I've been striving to increase my uke collection by building a cigar box uke. Now it'll probably sound like trash which will probably also reflect my skill.

hopkid
05-17-2011, 12:58 PM
I bought my first uke, which happens to be a Koaloha. Knowing how much it is made me want to get better. More importantly, because it sounds so nice, makes me want to play it more!!!! So worth buying a nice uke.

Right there with you, nongdam. I'm so glad I took fellow UUers' advice back in January to buy a nice uke.

BadLands Bart
05-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Amen ye olde phart. Nicer instruments make you feel good too. They make you WANT to improve. They're inspiring. They're beautiful. They sound better. They make you sound better. They make you lust after them. They make practice a joy. They make you not want to stop playing (even to go to the bathroom.............

........where I believe I do my very best work :) )

Treat yourself. You do deserve it and it deserves you mate.

Eugene, you forgot one thing....They SMELL better!!!!

Waterguy
05-17-2011, 03:15 PM
About 5 month's into playing the uke, I decided I really needed to own a Kanile'a K1T. I talked it over with my wife and she thought it was a really bad idea, we have 4 kids and college was about to start for one of them. I knew for a fact that my level as a player was pretty low. I bought one anyway.

My wife was fine with it at the time.....kind of. I personally think it's one of the better decisions I've made. It's over 2 years later at this point. I am still no where near good enough to bring out the best of that instrument, but I am one heck of a lot better then I was when it showed up. One of the nice things about owning a really good instrument is that if you hear something off on a chord or a note you automatically know that it's you. That knowledge, coupled with my being willing to try again, and again, and again......and again till I get the thing right has been one of the main reasons I have gotten as good at uke as I have. I still have a long way to go, but I do not think I would have gotten any where near as far as I have without my K1T.

If you you have played enough to get to the point that you know you will keep playing then you owe it to yourself to buy the best instrument you can afford. It's both easier and cheaper in the long run.

Stones
05-20-2011, 05:38 AM
You DO deserve it! Just don't rush into it and get the first one you like. Ohana are very good for a mass-produced instrument but check out the Uluru ukes from Ayers for handmade quality and will be available in the U.K. from the beginning of June.

hobblecreek
05-20-2011, 09:25 AM
One of the great things about ukuleles is how just hearing the sound makes us smile.

Well, I'd say get a ukulele that makes you smile right when you take her out of the case, simply because she is so beautiful to your eyes. Find one that inspires you, one that will challenge you to be committed to playing up to its level, one that you’ll picture in your mind at night when you lay your head on your pillow.

It sounds like many on this forum have 2, 3 or 4 (or more) of these instruments. I’d say anyone who loves the ukulele and is devoted to playing deserves to own at least one dream instrument. Go and find her!