Ever feel like you don't "deserve" a certain uke?

byjimini

Reaction score
I bought a Mainland soprano last May, and have loved it to bits. Now though, I'm looking for larger frets for fingerpicking, as it can be a bit fiddly. I have a Samich Greg Bennett concert which is absolutely fabulous, except the build quality obviously isn't all "that" and isn't as loud as I'd like.

Started looking around, then, firstly at Ohana, and I see the TK75-CG priced at £320. Absolutely gorgeous uke, with my favourite wood of the moment (maple) - but I just can't justify spending that amount of money when I've nothing to show for it. It's not like I'll be playing to a few thousand at the weekend or have an album for sale - I just don't feel I deserve it, you know?

As for Ohana's Delta resonator, sweet Christ on a bike, there's £800 of guilt right there! :D

No, you should get what will make you happy. If you get a nice uke, you will be much more likely to play both longer and really strive to play better. Get it, you deserve it!!!!

No, you should get what will make you happy. If you get a nice uke, you will be much more likely to play both longer and really strive to play better. Get it, you deserve it!!!!

I agree. Better ukuleles sound better and are easier to play, typically. I think you justify the purchase AFTER you have made it. Get the ukulele and play it.

Ever feel like you don't "deserve" a certain uke?

Nope.

If it makes you happy and you are not hurting yourself (i.e. not paying your bills like your mortgage or rent) - enjoy your uke. Get the best you can comfortably afford whether it is a $5.00 uke or a $5,000.00 uke.

I totally agree with what's been said already. I bought my first higher-end uke when I had only been playing a short time (a Koaloha that has long since been re-homed), and it was so much easier to play and sounded so much better than the entry-level uke that I had started with that I found myself practicing more and improving much more rapidly. If you can afford it - you already deserve it!

I understand there's only so much money to go around, but you have to put things into perspective (IMO) and decide how much joy that new uke is going to bring you. Don't let "guilt" be your biggest reason for not getting it...just make sure it's a uke you really covet. If you have been practicing and your skill is improving, wanting to upgrade from the Samick/Gregg Bennett is a pretty normal thing that I think nearly all of us will do, sooner or later. Good luck!!!!!!!

PS: I'd bet on it that you do "deserve it."

No but I've felt that certain ukes don't deserve my money.

I've been feeling like I'm getting snobbish because I am gaining enough skills to play the ukes I didn't deserve before. and... most of them are worth every penny.

You deserve whatever ukulele you can afford. I think the best ukes are actually more beginner friendly than "entry-level" ukes. They are easier to play and sound better. My personal opinion is that if you've realized that the ukulele is the instrument for you, you should just get the best uke you can afford. If you can afford it, you deserve it.

This pretty much says it all. Life is short, play something nice.

Cheers guys (and girls!). I've come off a charity weekend where we opened the night and had so much fun; musician friends of mine have been saying that I've really improved since I first started playing at folk nights and doing charity concerts etc, so I feel I want to 'reward' myself with a lovely looking and sounding uke. :D

This is us before Christmas.

Anyway, been checking the reviews, consulted with loved ones etc, going to plump for the Ohana TK75-CG. I still think it looks a little flash for me - I don't want to be 'that' guy with the expensive and flashy instrument that can't do it justice! But I'm sure it'll be fine. :)

Mucho love. <3 ^_^

Or get a Mainland Concert, so the siblings can keep each other company. :D

Get the best you can comfortably afford...as said previously...it will sound and play better...be more comfortable and you'll learn quicker with a quality ukulele...Happy Strummings and Good Luck!!

Get the best you can comfortably afford...as said previously...it will sound and play better...be more comfortable and you'll learn quicker with a quality ukulele...Happy Strummings and Good Luck!!

Like Stan says.

When I got back into ukulele in the early 90's, I had already had my share of cheapies. I bought a very reasonably priced Martin O and haven't ever wanted another soprano uke ever again. Totally satisfied. On banjo ukes, I'd had several cheapies - good ones, but not expensive - and I kept saying "Someday, when I get a raise or a new job, I'll get a Ludwig or a Gibson." I finally gave up on waiting and bought one of each this year. My UAS is completely gone, but more importantly, I'm playing the best I've ever done. It truly helps to have the best tools you can afford. :)

<rant_mode>
I wish people would get over this whole "deserve the instrument" thing. That's exactly backwards. Everyone should get absolutely the best instrument they can afford, regardless of ability. With a better instrument you will learn faster and become a better player, you will be inspired to practice more, etc., etc., etc. The instrument must deserve you, not the other way 'round!
</rant_mode>

I have a Moore Bettah. Do I "deserve" it? Heck, no. But I love it and it makes me practice. It was just the ukulele I wanted and it's "THE" ukulele in my life. Go on -- enjoy.

<rant_mode>
I wish people would get over this whole "deserve the instrument" thing. That's exactly backwards. Everyone should get absolutely the best instrument they can afford, regardless of ability. With a better instrument you will learn faster and become a better player, you will be inspired to practice more, etc., etc., etc. The instrument must deserve you, not the other way 'round!
</rant_mode>

Amen ye olde phart. Nicer instruments make you feel good too. They make you WANT to improve. They're inspiring. They're beautiful. They sound better. They make you sound better. They make you lust after them. They make practice a joy. They make you not want to stop playing (even to go to the bathroom.............

DSCF4654.jpg

........where I believe I do my very best work :) )

Treat yourself. You do deserve it and it deserves you mate.

<rant_mode>
</rant_mode>

Absolutely, I need to get over it! Couldn't agree more. :)

Ahhh, I remember that vid! I'm still waiting on you guys to do a metal grass version of Sweet Child O' Mine! :)

Hehe! Well unfortunately we've just disbanded today, but me and Lyn (the guitarist) are great friends with another excellent fiddle player, so we're taking our covers with us and will write some other original songs. :) And post them on Youtube, obviously. :D

Top Bottom