Lanaki strings

Uncle Sheepy

Reaction score
Hello people,
Just bought a Lanaki Kohala soprano for my dads birthday.
It,s a nice little instrument, the builds quality is good and the mahogany top is really pretty nice. Intonation is spot on and tuners etc do the job.
My only complaint is the strings, absolute pieces of cr%p! Black things that are pretty much impossible to tune/play in tune. Awfull!!
Why oh why do companies do this?
I know it's to keep the costs down but if you are actually going to play the thing you are gonna have to change them anyhow are you not?(incuring extra cost)
Why not just send the thing out in a playable condition and factor it into the price:p
I pity the child who's parents have no musical interest or ability and struggles with a poor sounding instrument to learn on just due to manky strings.
Phew! I feel far better now.
I feel a set of aquillas are in order.
Cheers
Oliver

Got to agree! I have yet to find a uke the GHS black nylon strings sound good on, especially at the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Last edited:
Ahh, GHS, wondered what they actually were (they need a good talking to!)

My first uke was a Lanakai LU-21 that I bought online from Musician's Friend. Came with the same black strings you mentioned. Switched to Aquila Nylguts after a few months after reading about them on UU Forums. Not sure how much of a difference they make with a higher end uke, but on a low end laminate, the difference is huge.

Top Bottom