Progress

Sunny_0ne

Reaction score
I just finished Hal Leonard's (Lil Rev's) Ukulele Method Book 1 tonight. I'm really surprised at how much it has taught me already. I am comfortable playing notes in C and G, and have learned a lot of chords.

I'm still having fits with b flat and e minor, but picked up some helpful tips on some of the other posts. Doing e minor as a barre chord is a lot easier for me.

We're heading home to Florida to visit family Wednesday, so I plan to play by ear and from simple songbooks while we're down there. When we get back, I'll start on the second Hal Leonard book.

I was afraid that it would be harder for me to learn since I'm in my 60's, but I'm thrilled that that doesn't seem to be the case.

And I'm more in love with my Mainland than when it first arrived!

I just finished Hal Leonard's (Lil Rev's) Ukulele Method Book 1 tonight. I'm really surprised at how much it has taught me already. I am comfortable playing notes in C and G, and have learned a lot of chords.

I'm still having fits with b flat and e minor, but picked up some helpful tips on some of the other posts. Doing e minor as a barre chord is a lot easier for me.

We're heading home to Florida to visit family Wednesday, so I plan to play by ear and from simple songbooks while we're down there. When we get back, I'll start on the second Hal Leonard book.

I was afraid that it would be harder for me to learn since I'm in my 60's, but I'm thrilled that that doesn't seem to be the case.

And I'm more in love with my Mainland than when it first arrived!

sounds like you have made some wonderful progress!! Yeah! I think anyone can learn anything if they put the time into it!
They are great books, I have been working on book two the last few days... Bb and E are just two big challenges that everyone will talk about, just keep practicing (I can get Bb now, just not E quite yet it's coming)
Can you do the fancy strums too? If so that is really awesome!!!

Try 0432 (Em) instead of 4432 which is a lot easier IMO. Bb, just patience and practice.

Can you do the fancy strums too? If so that is really awesome!!!
Fitncrafty, I've been able to do all the strums in the book except the down down-down down-up down. I can sometimes make it through a song with that one but it feels awkward to me and I usually mess up half way through.

Try 0432 (Em) instead of 4432 which is a lot easier IMO.
Kanaka916, that is a LOT easier! Thanks!

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself! Finding a song (or two) in the keys of Bb and Em that you really love may make practicing those chords more enjoyable.

Yay for you Sunny and also fitandcrafty! Your posts inspire me to reflect on my own progress.

I've been working on the Ukulele in the Classroom books and also Fingerstyles for Ukulele.

The latter has very much challenged me to move up the neck and explore the fretboard. I'm a little frustrated by my reliance on TAB rather than notereading.

I like Bb better than E!
I feel very comfy with the C, G, Am, F chord progression.

Finding a song (or two) in the keys of Bb and Em that you really love may make practicing those chords more enjoyable.
Great idea! I have tons of books, so should be able to find some I like to practice.

Maiyah888, I also bought Mel Bay's Learn to Play Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele. After looking at it, I realized I am nowhere near ready for that one. But it's there when I work up to it!

Nice going Sunny!
How long were you working on the book and what was your practice routine like? I'm in my first week and find it to be a really good tool. Have you learned how to read music using the book or did you use the tabs?
Thanks

You're doing great!!! Keep at it. That Bb does give people fits, like Kanaka sez....practice!!

Aloha Sunny_one,
Glad to hear you are making Progress......Practice, Patience, and Perserverence =Ukulele Passion is what I Preach...Happy Stummings Thank You for sharing, MM Stan

Sorry the replies are a little late. We are on our way to Florida and had camper battery problems, so are still on the road.

How long were you working on the book and what was your practice routine like? I'm in my first week and find it to be a really good tool. Have you learned how to read music using the book or did you use the tabs?

Andre, it took me about 10 days to go through the first book. I practiced 1-1/2 - 2 hours a night. Plus picked the ukulele up throughout the day and chorded songs by ear. I'm retired, so I have the luxury of time to devote to it.

I am reading the notes, but I had piano lessons when I was a kid, and a lot of it came back when I started working with the book. Tabs are strange to me! :)
You're doing great!!! Keep at it. That Bb does give people fits, like Kanaka sez....practice!!
Molokinirum, I'm doing a little better with the Bb. Sometimes it sounds okay now and I am finding it easier to get my fingers in position quickly. Still have a fair amount of disasters with it, though!
Practice, Patience, and Perserverence =Ukulele Passion is what I Preach
MM Stan, you are preaching to the choir! I have been bitten hard by the uke bug. :)

Top Bottom