Question about concert ukulele...

olympusmons

Reaction score
I've been interested in purchasing a ukulele for a little while now, I'm 6'2" and have pretty big hands but my fingers are kinda slender. Anyways I was thinking I should probably get a tenor but I went to a local music store recently and found a used Big Island CT-KRGT concert on sale for $299, I started talking to a employee and he was saying it could probably be had for around $250, after returning home I started doing some research (theres not a whole lot) but I do like what I hear about Big Island. Do you think this is worthwhile? I have a guitar and enjoy playing it but am looking for something a little different. Like I mentioned before I do have bigger hands but kinda like how the ukulele feels in my hands and after playing it a little bit like how it plays, is this something I should consider or should I just go for a tenor?

I would say, if you tried it and it felt good in your hands then go for it. Especially if you liked the sound as well. There are men much bigger than you that play sopranos etc. I have smaller hands and still prefer a concert or tenor size myself.

Best of luck and have fun! let us know what you decide!

hi olympusmons!

And welcome to the forums mate.

I agree with Carrie. If it felt good then it musta been pretty good! Braddah IZ was a man mountain and he could deal with a soprano so there's hope for all of us. Trust your instincts mate. The only other thing maybe to consider around that ball-park budget is a 'Mainland' uke perhaps. They have a great reputation here and many will attest to their great sound and playability, as well as excellent price. plus, Mike who runs Mainland (member 'hoosierhiver') will do an awesome setup for you. Can't go wrong there either.

Sure, you could grab a tenor straight up but chances are, if you're anything like the rest of us, at some point soon you'll be looking to add another uke to your collection anyway. To have one of each scale will give you a nice contrast in tones and feels.

Whatever you decide, happy shopping! :)

I'm 6'3" and have trouble finding gloves that fit.

Your size bears little or no relation to the size of the instrument you can play. Practice does. If there are enough frets, you can play pretty much the same thing on any given scale length. I mean, it's only a few inches difference between soprano, concert & tenor. The most important thing about size is the sound.

I fingerpick on a sopranino and actually find my tenor to be the most physically taxing of any of my ukes to play for extended periods with the higher tension and larger neck. A three hour session at the Jazz Workshop can sometimes get quite grueling. (YMMV.)

One added advantage that you and I have on sopranos and concerts with longer fingers is that can translate into an extra fret or two in reach when you need it or want it.

The Big Island concert sounds like a decent deal on a decent instrument. If it feels good to you and sounds good to your ears, it's worth the investment.

Like I mentioned before I do have bigger hands but kinda like how the ukulele feels in my hands and after playing it a little bit like how it plays, is this something I should consider or should I just go for a tenor?

First of all, let me state that although I've only been playing ukulele for a few months, I have been playing guitar for 25 years. I am 6'5 and like to play all sizes of ukulele. To be honest, I feel a little cramped on a soprano, but I love the sound. I feel really comfortable playing a concert. I find some things much easier to play on a tenor, but can play on both. The main thing is that it feels good to you. If you like the sound and it feels good, buy it. It seems that most people get all sizes eventually. I've been playing for 3 months. My first uke was a soprano, I said that I only wanted a soprano. The second month I bought a concertand was sure that it was the perfect size. My third month I got a tenor scale and I love the size. I said that I would never get a baritone because it was too much like a guitar. Next month, I'm getting a baritone for my birthday. 4 ukes in 4 months, one of each size. The point is you never know until you try it. Sorry to ramble so much .

I have a concert and I am 6'4". There are sometimes when my fingers are packed tight, but...it seems to force me to play the chords more correctly to get a good sound. And after playing the concert, I can also play a Soprano and before I thought I could not.

Aloha Olympusmons,
The big Island is a mid level ukulele and for 250.00 it is a good starter ukulele kinda low volume but nice neck for confortablity...I always say, try before you buy..and if you cannot play it ask the salesman to play a few so you can make sound compaisons......of what pleases you....a soprano is smaller but it is easier to play and learn....it maybe tigher on the fretboard but it has the traditional sound..like said previously before .. it's what you are looking for...Sound, Playability and comfortability...maybe not in that order but you get the point....Good Luck, Happy Strummings, MM Stan

Last edited:
I suggest looking at a Cordoba tenor.

You're 6'2" I'm 5'4".

I find the Concert a good size, my Cordoba cost me $100 at Guitar Center, Cordoba makes nylon string guitars, classical guitars like you'd get for a serious class in Classical, they bring their experience to ukes and I think they're full of WIN. I think the Concert is a good size, it's not quite so large as a Tenor and that's important to me, a prospective busker who gets around by bicycle or bus. But I even like the Tenor, with my small hands. For you, a Tenor would be like the Concert fits me.

OK I can't Edit, only Delete, I was just going to edit the middle paragraph to say a Tenor should fit you like a Concert fits me. A good fit for a beginner (although I plan to get a Tenor in the future).

Like others have said-if you like the feel of the concert, go for it. I am 6'5 and 280 pounds and spend most of my time on a soprano.

Like everyone said- to each his own and if it feels right go with it. I play all sizes regularly, but love the feel of my Bari the most I think (this week). I am only 5'5" for the record, and my hands, while callused and manly, are not huge.

Thanks to everyone that responed, you were very helpful. Went down and tried it out a little bit today again and pulled the trigger, I love the looks of it and while the tenor is bigger I like the concert sound a little better, I have read the concerts are a little more ukulele sounding and I think I agree. While I was there this older gentleman started looking in the ukulele section and we got to talking, I asked him if he would mind playing a few ukuleles for me to hear how they sounded and he was more than happy to oblige, told me he has been buying and playing ukes since he was a little kid, really interesting guy and a great player. Cant wait to interact with more uke players since there are a few clubs around here and everyone that plays one seems very nice and always helpful. Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
Sounds like your poor guitar will be collecting dust from now on. :D ( jk )

anyway gl with the concert :)

Sounds like your poor guitar will be collecting dust from now on. :D ( jk )

Truthfully I dont see that as being that far off ;)

I love the guitar but the ukulele is just so much fun! My friend came over the other day, the guy that basically got me into the guitar, and while he has always been overly critical (as I'm ashamed to admit I was as well) of the ukulele being too much of a "toy" and not a bonafide instrument when I got him to try it out a little I slowly started seeing that smile start to creep across his face, the same one I had when I first really started trying out the uke. While I think I will continue to enjoy and play my acoustic guitar I feel i'll always have my ukulele close by. BTW, my friend is now starting to look at buying a uke, thats a +1 in my convert category :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom