6 String Strung Wrong?

dave alexander

Reaction score
So, UAS got the best of me and I bought a tenor 6 string by Oscar Schmidt.

Tuning it is getting the best of me. Somehow I think it's strung incorrectly. I have a wound string, and a heavy nylon string, and I think they're switched.

Does anyone have a close-up picture of their strings on a 6-string that they could upload?

Is there an online tuner which takes into account the 6 strings? I know I have to tune the strings in courses one octave apart. That's getting to be a challenge.

FYI: It cost 88 bucks or so, and it really kinda looks like it should. Meaning it is a bargain quality uke.

Thanks,

Dave

We're working on a 6 string set now. Generally you want to put the heavy nylon string in the third position, one of your double courses, as you would with with an unwound set. There will be a thin string to tune up one octave above that in the third course.

Your other double course is the 1st position. Use a standard nylon A string, and then in the other position in that course, use your wound string to tune down one octave.

We're working on a 6 string set now. Generally you want to put the heavy nylon string in the third position, one of your double courses, as you would with with an unwound set. There will be a thin string to tune up one octave above that in the third course.

Your other double course is the 1st position. Use a standard nylon A string, and then in the other position in that course, use your wound string to tune down one octave.

That is how my Kanile'a 6 string is strung.

Okeey dokie. Here's what I hear:

A position: Wound string and thin nylon string.
E position: one thin nylon string
C position: thicker nylon string, plus thin string
G position: medium thickness nylon string

Leaving two courses, on C and A, with the string closest to the floor as the heavier guage string, and the other tuned up an octave.

Based on that, I have to remove and reset three strings. Maybe more, since I now notice that the "second string" on the C course
(3rd) is super light -- like the second string on the A course. I can't get that "C" string to tune properly, because it's way too thin.

Thanks for the advice.

Dave

The GCEA strings is all the same with the as a regular 4 stringer...C being the thickest, then E string, then G String and the A string the thinnest...
The extra C string is an octave higher and the extra wound A strings is an octave lower....hope it helps..good luck...

Sounds like you're almost there. Remember that "octave C" is a very high note. As such it should be the thinnest. Make sure you are tuning it an octave above your standard C.

As far as what is "closest to the floor", you may see that your nut is cut in a way that indicates where that placement should be.

I recently saw an instructor at the Lone Star Fest, however, with the thin string outside on the 1st course. She said that when it came to picking, you want easier access to the high note.

On my 6, the wound A is on the inside of the 1st course. I don't remember what strings I used, but the wound A seemed a little too dominant for my taste. I ended up with the A in unison and went to a low g in place of a high g.

Top Bottom