Short scale (tenor scale) baritone?

thenewb

Reaction score
Just wondering aloud that even though I have seen long neck soprano and concert ukulele. Is there a good reason why we rarely see a baritone voice ukulele with a shorter scale (say tenor scale) neck?

The reason I asked is that I like the deeper tone of the baritone uke but I have short stubby fingers that are more suitable for a shorter, tenor neck.

Thanks!

there are dgbe strings for tenor ukes

If you go to a shorter scale, your string performance will suffer. If you stay with deep tunings, the strings will be on the heavy side. Standard Baritone tuning is already deeper than ideal. Heavier strings won't give you the response you now have with a standard Baritone. If you go for a more responsive set of guages, you'll have a tuning with a range of notes that is too high for best performance on a body that size.

There are always ways to turn these "deficiencies" to your advantage. Amplification is the most common solution for instruments where tuning, scale and body size are a bit off. If you're looking for an amplified instrument, you can adjust for almost anything.

I think I may have spoken too quickly on this one. Your performance would go down if you stuck with standard Baritone tuning - linear (low 4th) key of G.

But HornedOne is likely speaking of an old original Tenor Uke formulation string set: d' - g - b - e'. That's G tuning with a high 4th. That would be better.

danged's suggestion is also good - Kanilea is assuming a linear (low 4th) key of C - as many standard Tenor players already use. The bigger body will likely be better for that set-up than the standard body is.

You can get away with it on an electric, though even then, the performance through an amp would suffer sustain and tone compared to that of a longer scaled instrument.

I have my Risa electric tenor tuned to Baritone tuning. Sounds pretty good, but I recall there being more sustain when it was tuned GCEA. Simply because the strings perform better at that scale length. Nevertheless, I enjoy it very much.

Like the dreadnought guitars, eh? Bigger body, same tenor scale? I would like to see larger bodies on tenors too. My Boat Paddle has a larger than average body and it's immediately evident from the sound that the larger cavity has some positive effects on tone and volume. I have moved to baritones a lot in the past few months because of the richer sound.

Mele makes a "jumbo tenor" that has a scale length between a tenor and a baritone (though at 19", it's closer to a baritone). Apparently can be tuned in either tuning, though I imagine that in baritone tuning it would sound better with a high D, rather than a low D.

Has anybody tried one? I'd love to try out one of the 8-string models in both tunings.

The NEW Mele Jumbo Tenor

Top Bottom