Will a Banjo Uke open up?

It can and does, but for different reasons.. A banjo gets it's resonance from the skin, not the wood. If you use a real calf, or sheep skin, it will aborb oils, dirt, moisture ext and that will change it's resonance. It can also loosen and tighten depending on humidity, and use. That also changes it's tone. If you use a plastic skin it isn't as influenced by the climates and doesn't absorb contaminates, so it does't change so much.. All this could be a good thing, or bad, depending on cercumstances, and sound you are looking for.

Not open up in the same sense as wood. Banjo skins age and deteriorate, losing reslience and flexibility, but they don't change in the same way - wood actually undergoes microscopic-level changes to its grain structure over time (but only if played... not if stored in an attic).

My guess is not, it's a different animal entirely, the sides are generally thick and the top wouldn't "open up" like a thin piece of solid wood.

Not to totally disagree with you mike, but, don't yours sound different about 3 weeks after you get them? they adjust and settle in.

Banjos in general will settle in after you get them set up the way you want. Basically all of the stresses induced in the setup will dissipate as the metal and wood stretch/compress to accomodate the form. If you have a plastic head, you'll need to tighten it a bit (1/8th turn) for a couple of months to deal with stretch. After that, it should just get better the longer you leave it untweaked. Also, the wood rim is an important componenet in the sound and will improve over time, but it's a long term gain and probably not really noticeable day to day or even month to month. If you want to get way more educated on banjos and jukes go to banjohangout.

Banjos in general can profit from aftermarket bridgesm (at least imported banjos), and I do not know of anyone making them yet, and I know that is not the question, but the thought did occur to me.

Top Bottom