328604618.jpg

(only 5 strings shown here)

328604615.jpg

328604611.jpg

328604621.jpg

(only 5 strings shown here)

The not so good -
  • Dead sounding stock strings -switched to Aquilas
  • I found the Low A overpowering. It was the only wound string. I'm wondering if I am just not used to it or does anyone know if they make un-wound low a strings for 6-string ukuleles
  • The low-A/high-a combination was difficult to fret. Even with my kung-fu grip, I struggled to get a clean sound.
  • There was a slight blemish in the one of the slots in the head stock. Nothing a brown magic market couldn't fix.

The expected -
  • Everything you expect from a Lanikai

Take a listen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ceLRgEhE0

Last edited:
She is real purdy!

The low-A/high-a combination was difficult to fret. Even with my kung-fu grip, I struggled to get a clean sound.

This made me laugh! I definitely don't have a kung-fu grip... In fact, that's the biggest problem I have playing our 8-string Kala. It takes some serious hand strength. And playing it for even a short period of time leaves me needing tiger balm. But I do love that phat sound!

This made me laugh! I definitely don't have a kung-fu grip... In fact, that's the biggest problem I have playing our 8-string Kala. It takes some serious hand strength....

no kidding!!!... and I've got serious grip and hand strength - I've been with the same woman for 20 years.

Eh deach, I had the same problem (well, not really a prob) when I first played a sixer, the low A does overpower. I got used to it after awhile. For strumming, it's great but if you plan on picking, that's another story. One of the guys I know who does pick has no problems doing it. He uses his pointer finger without striking the low A and it's clean.

I like it Deach. What do you think? I mean I read your review, but how does it sound to your ear? One thing I noticed about all of my ukes, it that the sound I hear when the uke is in my lap (when I am playing it) is NOT the same as the sound that the mic picks up. It is definitely fuller, for sure.

and the whole grip thing...im single...but that doesnt help me, I would have to flip that thing over and play left handed i think...:(

I definitely like your playing though. The only improvement could have been with big hair and spandex....:rock:

Last edited:
Thanks for the encourage everyone.

Eh deach, I had the same problem (well, not really a prob) when I first played a sixer, the low A does overpower. I got used to it after awhile. For strumming, it's great but if you plan on picking, that's another story. One of the guys I know who does pick has no problems doing it. He uses his pointer finger without striking the low A and it's clean.

I agree. Maybe if the high sat higher, I could get more volume out it or maybe if the low A wasn't a wound string.

I like it Deach. What do you think? I mean I read your review, but how does it sound to your ear? One thing I noticed about all of my ukes, it that the sound I hear when the uke is in my lap (when I am playing it) is NOT the same as the sound that the mic picks up. It is definitely fuller, for sure.
......I definitely like your playing though. The only improvement could have been with big hair and spandex....:rock:

The low sounded very dominant and overpowering. It also had a much longer sustain. I played it for a few people and they all said the same thing - "That low A is loud!"

Big hair and spandex will be featured in my Ratt video.

deach when i got my first 6 string i hated that octaved A also. i even tried using a tuned down unwound C string. still didnt like it. then i took a look at the 8 string tuning and thought to myself why not just double up the A... but keep the C's octaved. that made the sound MUCH more likable to me... and in a way, pickable.

eventually i got tired of the whole 6 string hype and just converted both of my 6 string ukes to 4 stringers.

Top Bottom